LA Lakers at Sacramento

Real Deal

Can't comment on the entire game because I only saw the 4th quarter. Kobe really took 24 shots? Just last night he had 23 FGA's, with a Usage % of 46%. This is either a result of having no Odom and Bynum, or Mike Brown's philosophy on offense. I'm leaning towards the latter simply based on what I saw of him in Cleveland.

• Owner

Can't comment on the entire game because I only saw the 4th quarter. Kobe really took 24 shots? Just last night he had 23 FGA's, with a Usage % of 46%. This is either a result of having no Odom and Bynum, or Mike Brown's philosophy on offense. I'm leaning towards the latter simply based on what I saw of him in Cleveland.

What people aren't understanding is that you can tell what we're going to run all season long, on both ends of the court, in the two preseason and regular season games we have played so far.

Those that continue talking about how it's just two games (talking Lakers fans)...well, most of those guys don't know the X's and O's about basketball. They look at history, when teams have started off bad (ex. the Heat last year) and assume teams can just pick it up mid-season.

That's not always how things work. The Heat actually changed it up because, well, they implemented an offense that MAY HAVE come from upstairs (meaning, Pat Riley, even though we aren't told this). It wasn't that the team needed chemistry, it was that they had to find an offense they could be comfortable in.

The triangle offense was very flexible, more than any offense in basketball. One out, four in (whatever Brown wants to call it) is built for someone like Hakeem Olajuwon, when he was surrounded by guys that can make jumpers. We don't have Hakeem. Our passing center...is actually a PF, who doesn't like playing down low. Our true big man...is actually out, and when he returns, he's not going to pass the ball like Olajuwon, or Shaq.

Teams are smart. Double Kobe, and force the rest to beat you. Attack Fisher when he's in the game, screen and roll the Lakers to death, be physical against Gasol. It's not difficult to figure out. The Memphis Grizzlies did it with the Spurs, another team who still tries to run a similar offense and has liabilities on the defensive end.

You don't need to wait 60 games to start thinking we have problems. It's been visible for a year now. Sad stuff.

• Owner

Lakers were 1-16 from 3? Ouch.

Yep. If only Gasol could draw defenders into the low post, like a true intimidating big man...and if our guys could make shots.

I doubt our offensive strategy changes, either...and Drew can't pass out of the post (never has, anyway).

Can't say I didn't expect this.

That's just not going to work, especially if Mike Brown continues to rely on Kobe in a compressed schedule. I'll try to reserve judgement till I see how this team is ran when Bynum comes back, but its hard for me not to believe he'll resort to his old methods. And it's odd that Kobe is making bad decisions in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, this is the second straight game where on a crucial possession, he turns it over. It's not a coincidence that all of this is happening now when he's so heavily relied upon.

This is why Lamar was so vital to the Lakers. He was ball dominant, which took a lot of pressure off Kobe and allowed for him to play off the ball more. Now you're faced with a team with low usage players unable to create for themselves, with the exception of Pau (who was at a disadvantage tonight by the physical play of Hayes and DMC).

• Owner

And it's odd that Kobe is making bad decisions in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, this is the second straight game where on a crucial possession, he turns it over. It's not a coincidence that all of this is happening now when he's so heavily relied upon.

He's going through that phase where he's not trusting his guys again, and really, there's not much to trust. Ron (Metta, whatever) performs well once every 20 games (ironically he did it tonight, after being horrific in the first game). Fisher is just terrible. Walton needs to retire (I have no idea why he was even playing). Gasol is too damn scared to play down low against Cousins and Hayes (it was embarrassing to see Cousins boxing him out as if he was doing it to Beno Udrih).

This is one reason why I would be happy to trade Drew and Gasol for Howard.

I know I've busted Drew's ass in the past, by the way...but really, it's for two things: not passing out of the post, and being injured. The truth is, now, Bynum is more valuable to this team than Gasol, and I won't bother saying it's arguable anymore.

Of course, I'm not saying Kobe is completely in the right, either...but we've seen this show before.

Watched some of this game, and I really enjoy watching DeMarcus Cousins. He had so much passion during the game, almost too much...he's got every tool to be a top center in this league and it looks like he really improved this year.

Kings look like this year's Grizzlies with all the depth. Thornton was a steal when they acquired him from NOH. They might have too much depth at PF though...Jason Thompson and JJ Hickson should be starting, and both are coming off the bench?

As for LA...they'll make the playoffs, but they need to make a big trade now...the dynamic of this team is not one that gets you into the WCF let alone the finals. They should've pulled the trigger on that Melo deal last year.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest