Atlanta at New Jersey

Real Deal

Nets offense is absolutely putrid without Williams on the floor (and it isn't much better with him on it, either).

11 points in the 1st quarter and they had only 13 last night as well.

They really need a better backup point guard than Sundiata Gaines. He can't run an offense to save his life, and it doesn't help having him out there with the likes of Shelden Williams, Memo Okur and Damian James.

I never realized just how bad this team is when you take Lopez out of the lineup and have Williams on the bench.

This New Jersey team is going to really struggle without Lopez in the lineup.

I knew that already, but after watching the first quarter tonight and a bit of the game last night, it really made it clear just how much they would have to rely on him in order to win games this year.

Deron is going to have to play like a top 5 player in the league in order to simply give this team even a chance to win games.

• Owner

I'm not even sure if Lopez matters. The Nets wouldn't make the playoffs, either way. They are a team put together to bring in a big-name free agent, not to win. The team itself isn't much to watch. Damien James, Anthony Morrow...these guys are back-ups, at best. They still don't have a legitimate starting PF, although Humphries does a decent job racking up big numbers on a bad team. Bench is horrific.

Oh, I completely agree with that.

I don't think that they are a playoff team with a healthy Lopez either, but I don't think that they are a bottom 3 team in the league, either, which is exactly where they project to be until he comes back.

It also doesn't help that Deron is shooting like 30% and has as many turnovers than assists in the first two games.

They are just so short on talent that losing somebody like Lopez, who isn't anything special in his own right, makes this team look like they should be playing in the D-League (aside from Williams, of course).