Minnesota at Washington

Real Deal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner
WASHINGTON -- There's no telling how different the Washington Wizards would be if they had drafted Ricky Rubio when they had the chance. Surely they couldn't be any worse than what they are now: a winless team running out of ways to express its humiliation.

Rubio and Kevin Love controlled the game in the 93-72 win for the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday, while the Wizards were showered with boos during a 12-point fourth quarter as they dropped to 0-8.

"There's really not much to say," Washington coach Flip Saunders said. "Disappointment. Embarrassment. I don't know if words can explain. My job over the next two days is to try to find five guys who can play the right way and can play with some heart. ... It was bad to watch. It was bad to coach. It was bad to play."

Added forward Andray Blatche: "It's frustrating. It's sickening. Embarrassing. They booed us; we deserved it. I don't know what to say."

The Timberwolves selected Rubio with the No. 5 overall pick in 2009, a selection they acquired from the Wizards for guards Randy Foyeand Mike Miller. Foye and Miller are long gone from Washington, while Minnesota waited patiently for Rubio to play two more years in Spain before making his impact as a rookie this season.

Rubio had 13 points, a career-high 14 assists -- one fewer than the entire Wizards team -- and six rebounds Sunday, controlling the game during much of his 30 minutes off the bench. He entered with 1:30 remaining in the first quarter and quickly hit a 22-foot jump shot to start a 17-2 run that gave Minnesota the lead for good.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120108_MIN@WAS