Houston at Washington

Real Deal

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like anyone watched this game other than me, so the constant criticism of John Wall will persist. He's going to be great, I still maintain that he can be the best PG in the league someday.

I watched the 1st half and thought he played well. Not great but well.

He still has a lot of kinks to work out in his game and he has struggled this season. Part of it can be attributed to his teammates, but a lot of it is on himself as well.

It is foolish to write him off just yet, though. He has great athleticism and physical tools. He just needs his basketball skills and awareness to catch up to his awesome tools. His body seems to be playing at one speed but his mind is a speed slower and that is as big of a problem as anything for him.

If he puts it all together he is going to be great but I also don't think he is a sure thing to do that.

A lot of his struggles come from his teammates though, I agree he has a lot to work on, but having that consistent second option is huge for a young PG. Look at Rubio in Minnesota, Rondo with the big three, even CP3 with David West. Wall has never had that fall back option, and it's stunting his growth.

If Wall is able to control his body the way Rose does, and learns how to finish, he can easily be a 20PPG scorer. He fills up the stat sheet because he's such a dynamic player, he's the second best guard when it comes to blocks (behind Wade), I believe he's in the top 5 in spg, and is a terrific rebounder for his position.

However, for all of the optimism I have for him, his defense is really a legitimate concern. It looks like he has regressed this season despite the great defense from Javale most of the season, which is a bit odd. His man to man defense is terrible, PG's still seem to blow by him on occasion, and I always find him trailing his man off screens and picks.

His body seems to be playing at one speed

That's his biggest issue at the moment. He only plays at one speed, and that makes him out of control at times. I love his aggressiveness on the fast break, but too often he goes full speed and wildly throws himself at the rim with a turnover or missed shot as a result. Or, he goes full speed, stops on a dime and takes a pull-up jumper, which is not his game and is EXTREMELY difficult to pull off even if he was a great shooter.

Besides that, and his shaky jumper, he's an incredible talent who just needs a better coach and smarter, more mature teammates. PG's rarely can maximize their talents with crap teammates, just look at Deron Williams on the Nets. Once he is placed in a situation with a solid playoff-caliber team around him, he has all the talent and ability in the world to be an elite player in this league.

Love it, 3 wins in a row, 7 of our 8 next games are at home vs mostly easy teams.

Rockets should be at worst 11-10, I am thinking 12-9 or 13-8 is more likely though.

Yeah things are finally beginning to look up for the Rockets. Nice to see our other players step up when Lowry was struggling.