San Antonio at New Orleans

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, if I were a potential NBA owner, I sure would love to buy this awesomeeee Hornets team.

Nine consecutive losses at home, by the way. Jared Sullinger, here they come.

I'd rather buy a crappy team with a potential all-star shooting guard and at least one lottery pick this season (I think 2, but Wolves may be able to sneak into the playoffs) than buy a consistent 1st round exit, treadmill team. Gives an owner the ability to really put his stamp on the team and take it in a direction that he wants, rather than being forced into something.

Of course, I probably wouldn't want to buy the Hornets for a whole other reason and that is the team is a money sink considering nobody gives a damn about them. Move them to a market that will actually care about them and then maybe you will have some interest from potential buyers. Or at least let a new buyer move them as part of the agreement in buying the team.

As for the game itself, nice running hook from Duncan over Okafor to win it. I thought Okafor played some pretty solid defense but Duncan just hit a nice shot. Not much else he could have done there.

The final play from the Hornets was tankalicious. Seriously, what an awfully run play. How do you not at least have a backup plan to Belinelli there? Unless I missed something, it didn't even look like anybody else was trying to get open other than Landry flashing about 30-35 feet away from the hoop out of desperation. Marco did a pretty piss poor job of getting open as well.

Just to add to that last post of mine, my comment about them being a treadmill team didn't have anything to do about the rescinded Paul trade. It was just my opinion on what the Hornets have been for the past 4 or so years and looked to be headed towards again this season had they not dealt Paul.

• Owner

I'd rather buy a crappy team with a potential all-star shooting guard and at least one lottery pick this season (I think 2, but Wolves may be able to sneak into the playoffs) than buy a consistent 1st round exit, treadmill team. Gives an owner the ability to really put his stamp on the team and take it in a direction that he wants, rather than being forced into something.

Of course, I probably wouldn't want to buy the Hornets for a whole other reason and that is the team is a money sink considering nobody gives a damn about them. Move them to a market that will actually care about them and then maybe you will have some interest from potential buyers. Or at least let a new buyer move them as part of the agreement in buying the team.

Well, Gordon has some sort of an option on his contract after this season (don't remember if it's a player option, qualifying offer, or what), so there's really no guarantee there. As you said, that Wolves pick won't be that early, and if the Hornets hang around the record they are at right now (could be a bit better, once Gordon returns), that just means they'll be missing out on Davis, Drummond, and Barnes.

As for the game itself, nice running hook from Duncan over Okafor to win it. I thought Okafor played some pretty solid defense but Duncan just hit a nice shot. Not much else he could have done there.

Duncan's GW reminded me of Magic's hook against the Celtics, haha. Thought he was going to fall on his ass, though.

It's amazing how Tony Parker sucked in the Hornets' defense all night long. Emeka didn't bite too much, but damn, almost everyone else did, and people were getting easy buckets close to the rim.

Except for Splitter, when Okafor swatted the hell out of him, lol.

The final play from the Hornets was tankalicious. Seriously, what an awfully run play. How do you not at least have a backup plan to Belinelli there? Unless I missed something, it didn't even look like anybody else was trying to get open other than Landry flashing about 30-35 feet away from the hoop out of desperation. Marco did a pretty piss poor job of getting open as well.

I don't know. I think Marco made a nice cut to the basket off of that "confusion" at the line, but I guess Landry was the best option from deep (ha...).

Well, Gordon has some sort of an option on his contract after this season (don't remember if it's a player option, qualifying offer, or what), so there's really no guarantee there. As you said, that Wolves pick won't be that early, and if the Hornets hang around the record they are at right now (could be a bit better, once Gordon returns), that just means they'll be missing out on Davis, Drummond, and Barnes.

Even then, he will be a resticted free agent so they are at least guaranteed to have him around for one more season. I also thought I heard/read something about how they were actually fairly close on agreeing to a multi-year extension, but that might have been about some other impending RFA. Not really sure.

At the very least, they will have some assets to work with and flexibility which is ultimately what a lot of people want when buying a team or taking over or whatever.

Duncan's GW reminded me of Magic's hook against the Celtics, haha. Thought he was going to fall on his ass, though.

It's amazing how Tony Parker sucked in the Hornets' defense all night long. Emeka didn't bite too much, but damn, almost everyone else did, and people were getting easy buckets close to the rim.

Except for Splitter, when Okafor swatted the hell out of him, lol.

Same here on both accounts about Duncan. I also loved his expression after making the shot. A mix between surprise, passion and, most predominantly, just wanting to get the hell off the floor.

Yeah, Parker was impressive. It was one of the best games I've seen from him in terms of running an offense and creating open looks for his teammates. Usually he will look to score in a lot of those situations and the Hornets seemed to be playing him for that.

I don't know. I think Marco made a nice cut to the basket off of that "confusion" at the line, but I guess Landry was the best option from deep (ha...).

The cut wasn't bad, but Jack basically had no chance of getting him the ball. Unless I'm mistaken as I watched the game a few hours ago and couldn't be bothered to go back and check, he would've had to feed a bounce pass by two Spur defenders to get it to Belinelli. The cut itself was nice, but the position he put himself in while cutting made it nearly impossible to get the pass through.

Like I said, I could be wrong though as I don't exactly recall how the Spurs defense was lined up at that time.

I also thought I heard/read something about how they were actually fairly close on agreeing to a multi-year extension...

Latest...

New Orleans Hornets guard Eric Gordon said he is waiting to learn whether NBA commissioner David Stern will grant him a contract extension before Wednesday’s deadline.

Gordon’s agent, Rob Pelinka, has engaged in recent contract talks with the Hornets’ front office, but hasn’t received an official offer. Gordon told Yahoo! Sports on Monday night he was informed by Hornets general manager Dell Demps that Stern must decide whether to extend an offer. The NBA owns the Hornets. Gordon wants to re-sign with New Orleans, but is uncertain if or when Stern will reach out to him or Pelinka.

“In terms of my contract extension, Dell Demps indicated that it’s out of his control and NBA commissioner David Stern has the last determination on the contract extension,” said Gordon, who will be a restricted free agent this summer if he doesn’t sign an extension.

Edited by Art Hues