Toronto at Utah

Real Deal

• 1 month later...

Which will prevail?

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc519/yogistewart/Tank_owned.gif

or

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/RasualSmall.jpg

Bargnani got the win last night, despite Butler doing his best to get the Suns back into the game by inbounding the ball right to Jared Dudley which cut the Raptors lead to 2 points.

On a more serious note, the Raps are on the 2nd game of a back-to-back while the Jazz haven't played since Saturday. The Raptors always get blown out in Utah and I am fully expecting that trend to continue tonight.

By far the best Raptor game of the season so far.

I am pro-tank but even I have to admit that after the game went into overtime part of me wanted to win that game. Then when Millsap drained that 3 with 3 seconds left to tie it and send it to the 2nd overtime, I was in full blown Raptor cheerleader mode so it is great to see them come away, especially after seeing how devestated Bargnani looked on the bench when he had to come out due to injury.

He looked absolutely destroyed and heartbroken. He had his head down, ripping at his hair and looked like he was about to cry/kill someone. It was kind of scary as I have never seen Bargnani like that, not even when playing for Italy where he has always shown more emotion than when playing for Toronto. It just goes to show how bad he wanted to win this game (he was talking about how the Raptors haven't win in Utah since 2004 before the game and how he planned on changint that tonight).

Just look at his face when he had to come out of the game and sit on the bench.

http://i.imgur.com/90pBJ.png

Now, enough with the sob story and on to my thoughts about the game.

Kleiza was brilliant. Played his best game as a Raptor by far. When Bargnani left he put the team on his back and carried them to victory by scoring 10 of their first 12 points in OT including a stretch of 7 straight. He was knocking down dagger 3's, hit 4 clutch free throws, was posting up effectively, taking one/two dribble pull ups and was getting after it on defense battling with Millsap and Favors down low. He came up with two really huge rebounds. This is the kind of play that I envisioned from him when I constantly defended the signing of him last summer. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come now that he looks to have gotten his legs under him after having microfracture surgery last year.

(Finished with 25 points on 8/16 shooting with 5 boards).

Calderon hit two huge 3's. One to tie it and send it to OT and another desperation, beat the shot clock 32 footer. His defense on Harris was attrocious and, had Harris not choked at the line by going 1-4 in the final minutes of the 2nd OT, almost lost the Raptors the game but even I, as much of a Calderon hater as I am, can't deny how big those two shots were. I still absolutely loathe how much he pounds the ball and looks off wide open players because there is a slight chance he might turn the ball over on the pass.

DeRozan had a solid game. He was a ghost on offense in overtime but did hit some huge free throws and had an excellent drive late in the 4th. Nice to see him not settle for jumpers and look to attack the rim down the stretch. He had his most efficient game in forever so hopefully this can get him going. It will be needed now that Bargs looks like he will be out of the lineup for a while. Also nice to see him grab 8 boards which I believe is a new career high for him.

James Johnson didn't do much offensively, but he was an absolute force on defense. He completely shut down Hayward as he held him to 1/9 shooting and just 2 points. He blocked a career high 6 shots, altered at least 2 more, had a couple of steals and grabbed 5 rebounds to top it all off. The one block he had on Favors where he helped over on the wing player and then rotated down to the baseline to block the jumper was filthy. He also had a huge rejection on a Hayward drive late in the 2nd quarter (or 3rd? Not sure exactly as the game is one big blur to me). He is playing some awesome defense for this team.

Bayless did a nice job of running the 2nd unit with 7 assists. Had some nice drive and kicks, showed some solid PnR work and did a good job pushing the ball. His jumper is still completely off and he takes some terrible shots, though.

For the Jazz:

Millsap was a beast. 31 points and 11 boards and he did a solid job guarding Bargnani as well, although Bargs was clearly gassed. He came up with some big baskets when his team needed them, like that game tying three. He was physical down low and did a nice job battling for loose balls.

Favors did an excellent job filling in for Jefferson. The Raptors had a hell of a time keeping him off the glass and he chipped in 16 points to go along with his 12 rebounds. When he fills out and develops his skills, he is going to be a very good player because he has all the physical tools you would want in a big man.

Harris was blowing by Calderon at will tonight. Too bad he choked at the line because prior to that he was having a very good game, probably his best of the season. He finished with 24/6/3 and was the catalyst to the Jazz getting that early 18 point lead.