New Orleans at Detroit

Real Deal

• 1 month later...
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Greg Monroe and Walker D. Russell Jr. made up for the loss of Brandon Knight.

Monroe had 24 points and 16 rebounds and the Detroit Pistons beat the New Orleans Hornets 89-87 Saturday in a matchup of two of the NBA's worst teams.

It was the seventh double-double in eight games for Monroe, whose elbow was partially responsible for Knight's injury.

"That's mostly just effort," Monroe said. "I know this is our seventh game in nine nights, but we just have to keep working hard. That's how this whole season is going to be."

Russell, whose father played for the Pistons in the 1980s, came off the bench to add nine points and four assists.

"I've been playing more in the last few games, and that helped me a lot tonight," said Russell, who played a career-high 33 minutes. "Coming off the bench like this is new for me, but getting more time has gotten me in sync with my teammates, so I was comfortable running things."

Rodney Stuckey added 17 for Detroit (6-20), which won consecutive games for the second time this season and had five scorers in double figures.

"Walker really held down the fort when we lost Brandon," Pistons coach Lawrence Frank said. "Brandon was begging to go back into the game, which shows you what kind of heart he has, but that wasn't going to happen. He'll get it set tomorrow, get fitted for a mask on Monday and we hope to have him back on the floor for Tuesday's practice."

New Orleans (4-20) lost its fifth straight. Trevor Ariza led the Hornets with 26.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120204_NO@DET

• Like 1