New York at Toronto

Real Deal

Seriously, I'm actually happy about this. With the Raptors getting that BS win against Boston on Firday, they really couldn't afford to have come out of this BOS/LA/NY/stretch at 2-1, especially with Detroit, Sacramento, Washington and Phoenix all going to pick up losses tonight.

Oh yeah, this was pretty good, too:

mcten Dave McMenamin

The Lakers' players lounge just erupted when Lin hit that big 3. World Peace emerged and ran through the locker room yelling 'Linsanity!!'

Amazing I was in the subway when the final 4 minutes happened went in after Amir owned amare I get out of the subway a half hour later my phone just starts blowing up with linsanity texts lmao I read the recap seems like another amazing moment for the kid, I can't wait to watch the knicks in 60 to be in the moment.

Still all in all we scored like 33 points in the first half and it is a very ugly win against a bad team. I guess we need to take what we can get when bill walker is starting SF. Bill Walker needs to be cut or something package him and a 2nd rounder for shawne Williams or sign JR smith and cut him because he is just so far beyond trash.

I was reading the game recap on espn amazing how much media was at the game and it was the biggest crowd to see a raptors game all season. #Linsanity

Funny quote from pringles "Are we in the playoffs now?" D'Antoni joked as he made his way to the front of the room.

Still in shock. Lin really came around in this game. He was shaky at first, not playing horrible, but just out of sorts, then really turned it on at the end. Crazy mayne!

And Shumpert with that lockdown 2k12 type D on Calderon lmao

Yeah, actually I'll be shocked if he isn't in some event that weekend. No way the NBA lets those festivities happen without an opportunity like this.

No kidding. He's bringing a ton of publicity to the NBA right now. Theres no doubt he would boost their ratings for the allstar festivities, whatever he's in.

Still in shock. Lin really came around in this game. He was shaky at first, not playing horrible, but just out of sorts, then really turned it on at the end. Crazy mayne!

And Shumpert with that lockdown 2k12 type D on Calderon lmao

I thought he was pretty bad in the first half. I wouldn't say horrible, but he was close. Brutal defense on Calderon, plenty of turnovers, not running the offense that well and things like that. Sure he had 6 assists, but they weren't a good indicator of how he actually played in that half.

He sure as hell bounced back in the 4th quarter, though.

As for Shump's D on Calderon, there really is no excuse for D'Antoni not to have put him on Jose earlier. It is a well known fact that Calderon struggles horribly against bigger, athletic guards who can prevent him from turning the corner on the screen and roll. With Shump's athleticism and length, he really should've been on Calderon all game long, or, at least whenever the two of them were in the game together. If Jose can't turn the corner on a screen, he is useless and Shump prevented him from doing that very well.

I can't tell if all the Raptors fans were cheering for Lin, or if 90% of the arena was filled with Knicks fans.

Neither really.

Toronto has a huge Asian population and the arena was packed with them tonight. The Knicks as a whole got very little cheering, but Lin was getting huge ovations after every play he made. That makes me think it was mostly Lin fans/bandwagoneers.

I thought he was pretty bad in the first half. I wouldn't say horrible, but he was close. Brutal defense on Calderon, plenty of turnovers, not running the offense that well and things like that. Sure he had 6 assists, but they weren't a good indicator of how he actually played in that half.

He sure as hell bounced back in the 4th quarter, though.

As for Shump's D on Calderon, there really is no excuse for D'Antoni not to have put him on Jose earlier. It is a well known fact that Calderon struggles horribly against bigger, athletic guards who can prevent him from turning the corner on the screen and roll. With Shump's athleticism and length, he really should've been on Calderon all game long, or, at least whenever the two of them were in the game together. If Jose can't turn the corner on a screen, he is useless and Shump prevented him from doing that very well.

Yeah, he didn't seem to be in the flow in the 1st half. He said in the post game Toronto was giving him a new look on the PnR, and it definitely wasn't working outside of a few nice passes...

Idk why it took D'Antoni so long, I think he was maybe afraid Shumpert would get into foul trouble, therefore killing the possibility of having Shump on him in the 4th qtr...

I also think D'Antoni was hoping Calderon would miss. Many of the shots were open looks, but I'd say 3-4 of his 15-17 foot jumpers Lin got there with a hand in his face and he hit it. Also, a few of them Amar'e LAZILY switched onto him and didn't get hand up...

It's funny, the only thing Lin does really well naturally is pass off the PnR (he's exceptional there). That is his only special, above average skill. However, the way he plays is very deceptive, and as a result he gets to the rim time and time again going right, which the scouting report has to say you needa deny. That opens up the rest of his game, and he seems to take advantage of every single opportunity he is given.

This makes me a little weary of him going forward, but also encouraged. The Raptors seemed to have a lot of success doubling him on the PnR, but it also opened up the offense later when he swinged it to guys like Shumpert and Fields on the trap. I am very curious to see how Lin handles a team like the Bulls or Heat, who will not allow many drives to the rim, and who defend the PnR exceptionally well. I want to see how he counteracts the defense now that teams are gameplanning for him.

So far, so good.

• Owner

It's funny, the only thing Lin does really well naturally is pass off the PnR (he's exceptional there). That is his only special, above average skill. However, the way he plays is very deceptive, and as a result he gets to the rim time and time again going right, which the scouting report has to say you needa deny. That opens up the rest of his game, and he seems to take advantage of every single opportunity he is given.

This makes me a little weary of him going forward, but also encouraged. The Raptors seemed to have a lot of success doubling him on the PnR, but it also opened up the offense later when he swinged it to guys like Shumpert and Fields on the trap. I am very curious to see how Lin handles a team like the Bulls or Heat, who will not allow many drives to the rim, and who defend the PnR exceptionally well. I want to see how he counteracts the defense now that teams are gameplanning for him.

So far, so good.

Yeah, I was talking to my friend about this the other day. The thing with Jeremy Lin is, when he does run into a defensive juggernaut, it's going to be interesting to see how he adjusts because, quite frankly, the kid has a very high IQ (ignore the stuff about Harvard, he's very smart on the court as well). What we've learned over the years is that the high IQ players learn how to adjust their games as much as defensive teams adjust to opposing offensive threats, and that's why you see guys like Kobe and Duncan winning championships, even when a team is centered around stopping them.

I just really hope Carmelo doesn't step in and ruin this outburst. I know he's an all-star player, but if Jeremy Lin can sustain this play against the best defensive teams in the NBA, he could prove to be more valuable to this team (in fact, he will be more valuable) than Carmelo, who is more of a ball-stopper, which we all know by now.

Right now, in New York, Carmelo is the guy that pulls his team out of the huge deficits, and gives them a chance to make a comeback. Jeremy Lin is the guy that uses everyone on the court to avoid those deficits, and to win those games. Of course, that's also a point guard's duty...but when there's a dominant scorer that really can't facilitate an offense, mixed with a very good scoring PF that needs the ball and guys that need to be spoon-fed the ball...you're missing that key ingredient, and for the Knicks, it's Lin.

If Melo lets him play his game and realizes just how important a facilitating PG is to this offense, New York can most definitely contend.