Detroit at Utah

Real Deal

• 2 months later...
  • Owner
SALT LAKE CITY -- Al Jefferson looked at the ceiling and pounded his chest as he does after every game.

Monday night it was different. Jefferson was playing for his 82-year-old maternal grandmother, who died unexpectedly about 24 hours earlier.

"I know she wanted me to go out and play and do my job and that's what I did," he said.

Jefferson scored 33 points, including his only career 3-pointer at the buzzer, and added 12 rebounds to lead the Utah Jazz past the Detroit Pistons 105-90.

Afterward his teammates went to him immediately.

"Your teammates [are] your second family," said Jefferson, who is in his second year with the Jazz. "They've been very supportive. They didn't even expect me to play tonight. I told them I was coming ... 100 percent ready to win the game because it's all about business when you step on that court."

The Jazz trailed 77-75 entering the fourth quarter but outscored Detroit 30-13 in the final 12 minutes.

C.J. Miles added 15 points, including three 3-pointers in the fourth quarter, to help the Jazz end a two-game skid and snap Detroit's three-game winning streak.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120312_DET@UTA