Detroit at Denver

Real Deal

• 2 months later...
  • Owner

Ben Gordon drops 45 points, hits nine threes (doesn't miss one), and even more mind-blowing...JaVale McGee wins the game. :o

DENVER -- JaVale McGee's debut with the Denver Nuggets was punctuated by a smashing finish.

And the Nuggets needed it to overcome Ben Gordon's record-tying night from 3-point range.

McGee soared into the lane to rebound a teammate's missed free throw and dunk with 5 seconds remaining, and the Nuggets withstood Gordon's season-high 45 points for a 116-115 victory over the Detroit Pistons on Wednesday night.

McGee's rebound and slam followed a missed foul shot by Arron Afflalo, who was fouled while making a driving layup with 5.6 seconds left. That basket pulled the Nuggets within 115-114 after they had blown a 25-point lead.

"I didn't think Arron was going to miss the free throw, but if he did, as long as I went hard, I figured I'd maybe get the tip-in or at least the tip out," said McGee, playing in his first game since being acquired by Denver a week ago in the trade that sent Nene to Washington.

"I just went hard and pushed [Greg] Monroe under the rim and I was wide open. It bounced and bounced and I was trying not to goaltend it and I just dunked it. It was definitely exciting, my first game winner. I'm definitely excited to be in Denver, my new home."

Afflalo went from dismay over missing the foul shot to relief once he saw McGee flying through the lane to grab the rebound and put it back in.

"I'm very happy he made a great play," Afflalo said. "Forget my free throw percentage. I'll take the `W' any time. You want to come through in those moments, but if we could plan that, I would do it again."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120321_DET@DEN