Random Thoughts

Nitro

So, since I haven't been here in a minute (lots going on in my life), I figured I'd let my thoughts out regarding everything NBA since the lockout ended. And instead of digging around to find a bunch of topics, I'll just create one thread. With that said...

-I really, really like the new-look Clippers, but I have one issue with them....Chauncey Billups. From the moment I heard he'd be starting at SG I hated the fit defensively because he is too small for the Kobe/Joe Johnson's of the league, and too slow for the Wade/Ellis'. However, equally as alarming, and what was showcased against the Warriors, is how the ball sticks in his hands. Besides DeAndre Jordan, Billups is the last person in the starting lineup who should be put in one-on-one situations, or who should be jacking up shots in great volume. Yet, last night he was letting it fly like it was nothing, and too often the offense stalled with the ball in his hands. IMO, he really shouldn't be used as anything but a spot-up shooter except in the occasional PnR scenario. Besides Billups and the team's backup frontcourt players, I really love this team. The pieces, on paper, fit extremely well together, and if it doesn't translate on the court it should cost Vinny Del Negro his job. There is no reason they shouldn't be a dangerous team come playoff time.

-I like what the Knicks have done, though their success will rest on Baron Davis' shoulders. Their offense needs to have more than Melo/Amare iso's, and Davis is the only PG they have who could really make the pieces around Melo/Amare effective. Forgetting the Bulls and Celtics for a second, if they faced the Heat, Davis would be a big mismatch against Chalmers/Cole in the post, and could make a huge difference in that potential series. Tyson Chandler will give them the strong defensive presence they have been missing for many, many years, but he alone won't make them a great defensive team. I am also not sold on Landry Fields being good enough to start on a contending team. Overall, they are still another 1-2 signficant moves away from being a serious threat in the East.

-Love the Rip Hamilton signing for the Bulls. However, I really think they should put a package around Boozer/Noah together and make a move for Dwight Howard. Honestly, on this team, I like Taj Gibson better than Carlos Boozer, and Omar Asik hasn't been a huge dropoff drom Joakim Noah when he's been in games the last 2 seasons. They still need a guy who can operate for easy buckets around the rim, and while Boozer is capable of that, he just hasn't been a great fit for this team. I question, even with Rip, if they can beat the Heat in a 7 games series. The Bulls have insanely good depth, but in the playoffs their top 8 still doesn't quite matchup with the Heat. With their frontcourt depth and talent, they can package a number of those players for Howard while not coming out of the trade depleted in any way. I could be wrong, though, and this team may be good enough to win the championship.

-Speaking of the Heat, looks like LeBron finally got a post-game. He looked far more comfortable operating in and around the paint than I've ever seen. In the past, he's rushed looks in the post, whereas yesterday he looked meticulous and comfortable. Norris Cole looked good, and he's the first PG the Big 3 have had with actual talent. Chalmers worked over Bibby and Arroyo last year not because of his spot-up shooting, but because he has true NBA PG speed, and could do things with it that those other PG's couldn't. I think Cole could be another step up talent-wise. He looks comfortable on dribble-drives, has vision and the ability necessary to make passed Chalmers never could, and at least yesterday his 3pt shot seemed to be decent. Even if his shot ends up being inconsistent and his defense gets exposed, I think he'll be an upgrade from those other PG's the Heat had last season. Shane Battier was a nice signing, although it has created a cluster at the wing positions. It kind of makes Mike Miller redundent, and therefor it may be smart to dangle him out there as trade bait, or amnesty him. The Heat could still use a true Center (which I was really surprised they didn't make a strong push for Samuel Dalembert).

-What in the [expletive] were the Lakers thinking in trading Lamar Odom for a bag of peanuts to their bitter rival, defending champion Mavericks?!? I know he demanded a trade after the Lakers got screwed out of Chris Paul, but he's the defending 6th man of the year, and they are still contended...to literally trade him for nothing, and to their rivals, is just awful. The Lakers got no shot at a championship this year without some big moves. And, actually, I think the same can be said for Dallas...last year was an abberation with how amazing Dirk played in the post-season, and now that they lost a bunch of big pieces, I don't think they can beat the Thunder/Grizzlies in a 7 game series.

-The Nets....Brook Lopez....*sigh*.

-T-Mac signed with a playoff team...woohoo!!!

-If healthy, the David West signing will be huge for the Pacers. He's a talented PF with offensive range, and will definitely give them some needed firepower. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave whoever they face in the first round a major scare.

I'm tired, that's it for now.

Edited by Nitro

Some interesting thoughts.

I think Billups is actually an AMAZING pickup for the Clippers. His speed isn't as much of an issue anyway, they will just stick him on the weakest perimeter player on opposing teams(usually the shooter and if they dont have a shooter the opposing team has more problems than LAC). He is still a great shooter which will open the floor up for Paul/Griffin/Jordan. Him and Mo Williams seem a bit redudant though. I think it would be nice for the Clippers to trade one of them for another rebounder off the bench or a defensive minded/shooting swingman.

I think the Knicks are overrated. A D'antoni team can't thrive without an amazing point guard to run that offense. Sorry, but 33 year old Baron Davis who hasn't done anything in years is not that guy. If Mark D'antoni and Marc Jackson could switch head coaching positions I think both clubs would benefit a lot more. The Warriors would be a good fit for D'antoni and Marc Jacksons will to implement defense could thrive in NYK with some decent defenders and a Chandler anchor. GSW just doesn't have the personnel.

• Like 2

Some interesting thoughts.

I think Billups is actually an AMAZING pickup for the Clippers. His speed isn't as much of an issue anyway, they will just stick him on the weakest perimeter player on opposing teams(usually the shooter and if they dont have a shooter the opposing team has more problems than LAC). He is still a great shooter which will open the floor up for Paul/Griffin/Jordan. Him and Mo Williams seem a bit redudant though. I think it would be nice for the Clippers to trade one of them for another rebounder off the bench or a defensive minded/shooting swingman.

Billups is only 6'3'' and he's slow. It's not one of those situations where you can just stick him on the worst perimeter player every night and be effective because you do not want guys like Kobe and Wade being defended by CP3. And even if he is defending an easier assignment, if that player is 4-5 inches taller than Billups like I expect, that will still be a big mismatch.

And offensively, if he was just a spot-up shooter I'd have no problem. The issue is that despite having CP3 (and Blake and Caron), the ball sticks in his hands on offense, and that kills the flow. The other night he led the team in FGA's and took 10 3's (6-19FG, 3-10 from 3)...that should NEVER happen.

I think the Knicks are overrated. A D'antoni team can't thrive without an amazing point guard to run that offense. Sorry, but 33 year old Baron Davis who hasn't done anything in years is not that guy. If Mark D'antoni and Marc Jackson could switch head coaching positions I think both clubs would benefit a lot more. The Warriors would be a good fit for D'antoni and Marc Jacksons will to implement defense could thrive in NYK with some decent defenders and a Chandler anchor. GSW just doesn't have the personnel.

I'm willing to give Mike Woodson a chance as defensive coach before completely writing off D'Antoni. I do not think you need an amazing PG to run the offense, they were fine last season with Felton and Billups, and neither of them are great playmakers despite whatever their stats indicate. I'd say Davis, who averaged 7APG last year with the Clippers in under 30 minutes, is the best playmaker of the bunch. I really wanna see what he can do in an open system with those weapons around him.

• Like 1

If you don't mind, I would like to post some random thoughts of my own.

- This condensed season will heavily favour younger teams, and now I can see the Warriors, the Kings and even the Bobcats getting a chance at making the playoffs.

- The Lakers are done. Period. Ditto for the Spurs and the Mavs. I am tempted to say the Bulls won't have a chance at championship either, as the Heat has the trophy in the bag for the next three years or so, dependent on whether the Big 2 1/2 can continue to be unselfish and focused at the task at hand

- If the Clippers want to go further than they go right now, they need to get rid of Vinny. Just not head coach material.

- The Hornets are not going to be bad this year, which would ironically be bad for them in the long-run.

- Tyson Chandler isn't going to change the culture of the New York team. Nor is Mike Woodson or Iman Shumpert. It all comes down to D'Antoni, Carmelo and Amare as their desire to play defense affect everybody else.

- Rondo is the real deal. I used to say he is trash without the Big 3, but you can just see his confidence from the Knicks v Celtics game.

- For the Mavs, Chandler and DeShawn Stevenson > Odom, VC and Delonte West.

- Man, am I glad the NBA is back.

Done for now. :)

- This could be a very special season for Nuggets if they can keep their focus and intensity on the D. Their D takes care of their O. Afflalo is our leader, stabilizer on a team full of youngsters eager/ excited to prove themselves. He will put daggers in many teams' fans' hearts this year. ;) Ty Lawson will be an All Star this year!

- Clips are special and deep. CP3 is a true superstar and if Clips win 50 games, he should be named MVP. I reckon Blake will struggle a bit pre-All Star before finding his rhythm again post All Star. Billups is way too selfish, but that selfishness may be the yang to Chris Paul's unselfishness yin and when they get tentative, that selfishness can erase doubt. But I can tell Blake and DeAndre and everyone on Clips were like, "man you shoot too much". It seems Billups does not defer to anyone except CP3.

- DeAndre Jordan will average 4+bpg this season and be named DPOY. I'd wanted the Nuggets to sign him instead of keeping Nene. DJ will be a special player.

- Mark Jackson is rapidly changing the culture of Warriors defensively, you can tell in the first game that the Clips struggled not because they haven't meshed together, it's because the Warriors played good D on them.

- Rubio is a better flashy passer than 1999 Jason white chocolate Williams but J-Will was the better scorer.

- Kobe is pissed... even before the Bulls game, everyone can tell. Why would they not surrender an injury prone Bynum + old/ not getting better Gasol for one true superstar who can dominate the game defensively, I don't know. Do the trade now and think later.

- Speaking of DH12, I agree with Nitro, the Bulls need to trade for him or the Heat will beat them again.

- The Pacers are the new Bad Boys, physicality will be their no. 1 weapon. They will rank top 5 defensively. Frank Vogel can coach and Paul George is good.

- Who cares about Hawks, Bucks, Bobcats? They're boring as hell. Also long season for Raptors, Suns and Jazz.

- I love any game played at Madison Square Garden. I still hate Melo and his laziness.

- I love Kawhi Leonard, he can really defend and score, he's really good.

^^^ your last statement about Kawai Leonard is half true. The kid has the tools to be a great defender and has already had some solid defensive plays thus far. However his offensive game is very limited. His ball handling needs improvement, his shot is flat, and he couldn't finish around the rim worth a damn last night. His defense and rebounding make up for that though.

My random thoughts so far:

-Lakers will be just fine, despite me disliking Mike Brown. I think he's a pretty mediocre coach. But the Lakers will be fine, and be a top 4 team in the West...probably top 3. Kobe still looks great, and I think McRoberts and Murphy will be better for them than people think. Also, Bynum isn't even playing yet.

-I know people think I'm hating on the Nets but Jesus I watched their past two games and they are really horrible. James is a real good rebounder, as is Humphries, but their entire roster is filled with a bunch of scrubs. It's incredible. They really need to find a way to get Dwight, because Deron is such a good player he's wasting his time right now.

-John Wall is overrated IMO. I don't think Wall is that good. Watched him several times last year, then tuned into the opener and was really unimpressed. One thing I will say is his team is pretty bad around him, with a bunch of overhyped young players who need to grow up...but I don't think he is as good or will be as good as people think. He has no consistent jumper/3pt shot as opposed to other good PG's (Paul, DW, etc.) and I'm just not in love with how he forces the action.

-Knicks looked good in the win vs. Boston. Despite giving up 100+ pts their defense was pretty good the entire game. Rondo is a huge problem for us though. We have no PG that can defend him, and he must have gotten 10-15 pts just on uncontested fast-break layups. Pierce being out was huge, but if Melo didn't get in foul trouble I have a hard time believing Boston goes on that HUGE run in the 3rd QTR.

Just a few things...obviously it's early, but those were just a few things that stuck out to me through the first 1-3 games.

Warriors, Pacers and Lakers are playing very good D so far.

- It's impressive how Mark Jackson is really changing the defensive culture of the organization.

- Lakers are 1-2 but played very good D in all three, their D should improve even more with Bynum back.

- Pacers are naturally physical, maybe the most physical team in the L: Hansbrough, D-Jones, D-West, Granger, George... My bold prediction: top 3 in East.

Nice to see LeBron regain(ing) his throne as the undisputed number 1 player in the NBA so soon... not that he ever should have lost it (some of you may have never stopped recognizing him as the best). Looking like an early MVP candidate right now, though he obviously isn't going to shoot 60% all year, and everyone is going to be desperate to put the MVP trophy in Durant's hands no matter how good a year LBJ has.

Dwight is being a pouty bitch (not really surprising). Say what you will about LBJ, but Melo and Dwight have both behaved far worse despite playing on better teams during their times there. Just frustrating for me, especially after all his talk saying how he isn't LeBron and all this shit. Magic need to deal him, now. Contact every damn team and start a bidding war, before it's too late and all you get is two shit firsts in the off-season, or nothing.

I have hated D'Antoni for years, dating back to him leaving Phoenix, especially during the Marbury situation, as well as Nate... dude is simply a bad to mediocre coach who looked awesome in Phoenix thanks to Nash... sorry but Amare and Melo aren't going to commit defensively because of an assistant coach (Woodson), this team needs a new voice as far as I am concerned.

Seeing Nash right now makes me sad. Dude got shafted by his organization, quite possibly cost him a ring, or at the very least a couple more chances at one. Hopefully he can get out.

Raptors look like absolute shit... Casey is sick in that we are playing better defense than ever, but it is like the O'Neil days minus Vince Carter, so yeah... looking forward to hopefully adding the franchise player this team needs in the off-season.

Also is anyone else pretty surprised by the low scoring numbers so far? I know it's early, and a shit training camp, but take a look at the top scorers: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/scoring-per-game/sort/avgPoints/year/2012/seasontype/2

Bargs, Jennings, Anderson, Lou, Thornton? Just weird.

C/s the Pacers hype... wasn't sold on them at first but I like what they're doing out there.