SheridanHoops: Weems Among Euroleague's Best

Sonny Weems, Zalgiris

17.5 ppg | 5.9 rpg | 1.3 spg

With a reputation as a raw athlete and only limited NBA success to draw on, I thought Sonny’s intenational maturation would be miles behind teammate Ty Lawson’s. Well, Lawson struggled to be a distributor, turned some of his own fans into enemies thanks to a social media mishap, and left Kaunas with a bad taste in its mouth and an even worse record when he returned to the Denver Nuggets. Meanwhile, Sonny’s point total dipped below 14 only once in ten weeks as he led the team in both boards and steals, helping Zalgiris secure a Top 16 berth even when everyone had left them for dead.

Very pleased to see Sonny playing so well in Europe.

It sounds like he is playing like he was in the final year of Bosh's tenure and that was a Sonny Weems that won many Raptor fans over. He wasn't just a chucker on offense like last season, but played solid defensively, chipped in on the glass and scored within the flow of the offense.

I thought that the decision on his part to go to Europe for the year was a good one as it would help him mature as not only a player, but a person as well. Hopefully he continues to progress over there and is able to come back to the NBA and carve out a successful career in the league, much like Anthony Parker did.

I have always said if Weems narrows his focus to spot up shooting (with occasional bursts where he can utilize his other skills which are very inconsistent) and defense, he can be a very successful player in this league... look how much money those two skills earned someone like Trevor Ariza, hell Ariza isn't even THAT good at one of them.

I think Weems can be a good player if he comes to the realization that he is a role player in the NBA, and not a scorer.. if he can get his mind right, I think Anthony Parker is a terrific comparison.