Maggette: From Irrelevance to Possible Stud

Corey Maggette came into the league really good at one thing: getting to the basket and finishing or getting to the free throw line. And he's still good at that. Now, with Maggette on the woeful Charlotte Bobcats, we're expecting a big return to fantasy relevance for the former Duke standout. Over his 11 year NBA career, Maggette has averaged 6.9 free throws per game and has shot that high volume at an excellent 82.2% over his career. That stat alone helps immensely in winning FTM and FT%, if your league has FT%.

But it won't be just free throws that make Maggette relevant. With the Bobcats second (or first?) best scorer a rookie, Kemba Walker of UCONN's national championship squad, Maggette figures to be nearly the focal point of a team that may struggle to win 25 games. The Bobcats signaled full on rebuilding mode last season when dealing aged star Gerald Wallace to the Portland Trailblazers. After jettisoning Stephen Jackson on Draft night, the Bobcats made it clear they had no intentions of competing this season. Bringing in Kemba Walker and Bismack Biyombo will help. But I doubt it will be anywhere near enough help to get the Bobcats within sniffing distance of the NBA Playoffs. After getting horribly beat up in 09-10 by the Magic in a series in which they were able to limit the effectiveness (at least offensively) of Dwight Howard, it became clear that the Bobcats had no chance of winning going in their current direction.

I've probably missed two or three fantasy drafts in the 9 years I have been doing fantasy basketball—and one of those drafts was yesterday afternoon. After working all night on writing endeavors, I didn't have the energy to stay awake until the noon draft, but I also have no idea why I am giving you, my reader, an explanation either—so we'll move on. The point is: I got Maggette from auto draft in that draft, and couldn't be more pleased. I also landed his teammate, the talented yet inconsistent and enigmatic Tyrus Thomas. To be sure, Thomas figures to benefit from the Bobcats being horrible as well.

Read More