Flip Saunders on the Hot Seat

First came the report from CSN Washington that said veteran forward Rashard Lewis got into an argument with assistant coach Sam Cassell before a game against Minnesota, resulting in Lewis’ refusal to play. A sore right knee was what the Wizards’ listed as the reason Lewis was not in uniform for the 92-73 home loss.

Lewis and head coach Flip Saunders denied the report, and Lewis told the Washington Post he wasn't on the bench because he didn't have a sports jacket.

But a source told FS Ohio that Saunders “likely has two or three more games” for the team to show signs of progress. “He might not even last the week,” said the source, who asked to remain anonymous because of his close association with the team.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/pages/the_amico_report

The source doesn't seem the most credible, but when you consider how much of a disaster his time in Washington has been combined with the pathetic play from his team this year, it makes a lot of sense that his job would be in jeopordy.

He seems to have lost the locker room and, to be perfectly honest, he doesn't even really seem to care that much that he has lost it. There really needs to be a change made and it only makes sense that the change be a coaching one.

Firing him won't solve their problems by any means, but it is a start in the right direction. After that, the really need to try and find a way to move some of the headcases on the team, Blatche in particular.

He isn't a bad coach by any means, but he isn't the right man for the job. He's not great at developing our players, nor does he help with our lackadaisical defense.

We need a young, defensive minded coach.. Either that, or I expect Sam Cassell to be promoted.

Flip needs to go and I would love to see Sam take over as the interim head coach. I was a big fan of bringing in Cassell back to the Rockets as an assistant during the offseason and I know he interviewed for the Rockets' head coaching vacancy and was apparently very confident about getting the job albeit he didn't make the Rockets' top 3.

Anyways the Wizards seriously need a breath of fresh air and promoting a young coach that the players can connect with (especially John Wall considering Cassell played the same position) and maybe bring some positivism to this team might be the way to go.

I could see them being interested in Sam Mitchell if they do fire Flip.

Mitchell isn't an elite coach by any means, but he has a solid track record from his time in Toronto and there were a couple of constants for him throughout his tenure there.

1. He always got his team to play hard, regardless of the talent level on the team. Sure, there were a fair amount of blowouts and all, but that could be more attributed to the general lack of talent on the roster. Even in the games that the Raptors weren't competitive in, they did play pretty hard and if they didn't, Mitchell would typically get on them.

2. He got the absolute best out of his point guards.

Rafer Alston averaged a career high in points and had his 2nd highest assist average under Mitchell.

Mike James averaged career highs in points, assists, rebounds, FG%, 3PT%, FTA and FT%.

TJ Ford averaged a career high in assists, TS%, PER and 2nd highest scoring total.

Jose Calderon had his best seasons under Mitchell in terms of impact on the floor and while his best statistical season came under Triano (the year Smitch was fired), his overall impact wasn't the same.

Seeing what he got out of talently limited point guards (aside from Ford), I can definitely see a guy with as much natural talent as John Wall thriving under him.

Sam has his faults as a coach such as a limited offense, questionable game management and isn't great at drawing up plays, don't get me wrong, but I do think that he could be a very capable coach if he is put n the right situation.

Is that Washington? I'm not sure, but I would take a chance on him and he is certainly available.

His job is safe, Leonsis confirmed it multiple times, and told Flip not to believe anything that has been said.

Sort of like how Eric Gordon was never going to be included in a Paul trade and was assured of that by ownership multiple times?

I'm not saying that he is or isn't safe, but in any professional league it really doesn't matter too much what somebody says. There have been way too many occassions where a player, coach, GM or whatever have been reassured that they were not going anywhere only to be traded or fired not long after.

Haha, maybe it's me, but I don't see Ted as the type of guy that would pull a Donald Sterling on Flip. I was never sold on Flip's job being in jeopardy in the first place, it's not a move Leonsis would make. He understands this is a process and that things will get ugly at times, but he will stay the course because he was able to make it work with the Capitals. It just goes against everything he believes in, and it wouldn't make sense for him to pay two coaches this season.