Will Seattle Get Another Team?

Mentch

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I miss the Sonics. They were the only NBA franchise that I truly liked everything about it, including the uniforms, players, history, and fanbase. When they left for OKC, I was pissed about it for a while, I couldnt understand how a fanbase that was so loyal and a franchise that had a lot of success was about to relocate to an unproven market

With franchises relocating more than ever nowadays, it seems possible that Seattle might get another NBA team in the near future. It probably wont happen with the Kings if they move, but theres a chance that one of the smaller markets could look to relocate in the next few years. It could end up being Milwaukee or Utah or some other team, but in the end I think Seattle will get another NBA franchise sometime within the next 10 years

• Owner

I couldnt understand how a fanbase that was so loyal

If they were loyal, they should have been purchasing tickets to see their Sonics. In the 2004-05 season, the "no-show" rate was 23%. People were buying tickets, then not showing up for the games. Seats were empty.

By any measure, attendance has declined since then. The average number of tickets distributed per regular-season game dipped from 16,475 in 2004-05 to 16,199 in 2005-06 to 15,567 this season.

The average turnstile count dropped from 12,707 to 11,610 to 10,962 in the same period.

The fans, and the city of Seattle, were responsible for what happened. Many saw it coming...maybe not watching the team move to OKC, but there were other destinations predicted.

Here's an article from last season, on the possibility that the Hornets are bought and moved to Seattle.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/news_chick_blog/20101207/%22Seattle-will-get-an-NBA-team%22