Seven Philly players now averaging double figures

• Owner

No superstar, no problem (what Denver says as well).

It's a unique team, no doubt. I'm always interested in teams that do this, because you go into every game not knowing what to expect from their players. If the Lakers are losing, you know Kobe will have the ball. Same with teams like the Heat and Knicks.

With the Sixers, there's a bit of uncertainty, and I believe that's a small part of why they are winning games. When teams lose their superstar players, they still win a few games here and there because they are hard to figure out (almost all teams have done this in the past, but we know they wouldn't be able to win games without their stars for 82 games). Philly has a little more than just decent role players, so they are basically like the Nuggets, just in a different conference.

I am interested to see what happens as they get involved in more close games. The never ending debate last year was who should take the last shot. Haven't really had to deal with that this year yet, since basically every game has been a blow out (smallest margin of victory is 8 points). They are 0-3 in games decided by 6 or less, so I guess this may be a cause for concern. Great part of this team is that not one dude is selfish, but they seem to have trouble in situations where they need one guy to take control. It's a weird dynamic.

Edited by Phightins

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten to see them twice in person, 3rd row back, and they are very impressive. They have tremendous ball movement, no really selfish ball-stoppers, and a bunch of players who know how to put the ball in the basket. Their most important asset is their defense, but that can be saved for another topic. I am still a firm believer, though, in having an elite go-to scorer in the post-season, specifically the 4th quarter. The game slows down, team gear-up on defense, and more often than not you need that one guy you can throw the ball to and know he'll almost always make the right play (or turn nothing into something). Iggy can sometimes be that guy, but he just isn't consistent enough in that role. I'd like to see if Turner or Williams can turn into that player.

I dont see performance in the clutch with this team to be a problem. There's a good number of players that can produce during the fourth. Louis Williams, Jrue Holiday, Igoudala, Elton Brand. In that order. But it's not really that clear cut. The variety of weapons is why they're so good and fun to watch. I can't wait until Hawes comes back. He's seemingly integral to their success.

I haven't seen the losses that were decided by 6 pts or less, but I have seen Louis Williams close. And he can close.

I dont see performance in the clutch with this team to be a problem. There's a good number of players that can produce during the fourth. Louis Williams, Jrue Holiday, Igoudala, Elton Brand. In that order. But it's not really that clear cut. The variety of weapons is why they're so good and fun to watch. I can't wait until Hawes comes back. He's seemingly integral to their success.

They have a lot of guys that can score, but not a single player who can do it on a consistent basis against tough playoff defense. They could very well get away with having a "go-to clutch player by committe", but I don't see that working when you're going toe-to-toe with LeBron/Wade and Rose. 4th quarter in the playoffs, especially against the Heat and Bulls, will mean a slowed-down, defensive game, and that usually means less crisp ball movement, and a far greater need of one-on-one offense. I just don't see the Sixers having enough there.

They have a lot of guys that can score, but not a single player who can do it on a consistent basis against tough playoff defense. They could very well get away with having a "go-to clutch player by committe", but I don't see that working when you're going toe-to-toe with LeBron/Wade and Rose. 4th quarter in the playoffs, especially against the Heat and Bulls, will mean a slowed-down, defensive game, and that usually means less crisp ball movement, and a far greater need of one-on-one offense. I just don't see the Sixers having enough there.

In playoffs, ya you're right. I don't see anyone on this team going Dirk mode to beat Miami in a 7 game series. I don't think that's what is expected of the team either. What this team is expected to do is to be able to knock off the non elite teams in the East. It'd take a big miracle for them to knock out Miami or Chicago in the playoffs. If they're going to beat Miami, Philly needs more talent. It has nothing to do with playing well in the fourth. Philly just doesn't have the potential that Miami has. Clutch play isn't the main concern.

But Philly does have weapons that can close. Hypothetically, on a last possession and down by one against Miami, I can see Doug Collins drawing up a play that would at least give Louis Williams the ball where he can shoot it from 20 ft. On plays leading up to that last possession, Jrue is capable of driving to the hoop if the ball movement isn't there.

In playoffs, ya you're right. I don't see anyone on this team going Dirk mode to beat Miami in a 7 game series. I don't think that's what is expected of the team either. What this team is expected to do is to be able to knock off the non elite teams in the East. It'd take a big miracle for them to knock out Miami or Chicago in the playoffs. If they're going to beat Miami, Philly needs more talent. It has nothing to do with playing well in the fourth. Philly just doesn't have the potential that Miami has. Clutch play isn't the main concern.

But Philly does have weapons that can close. Hypothetically, on a last possession and down by one against Miami, I can see Doug Collins drawing up a play that would at least give Louis Williams the ball where he can shoot it from 20 ft. On plays leading up to that last possession, Jrue is capable of driving to the hoop if the ball movement isn't there.

I was just making an observation of what they need moving forward. I know with the way the team is constructed they don't have enough to knock off the top 2 seeds. But I feel they are a team that can keep a game close going into the last 5min of a game against those teams, much like how the Pacers did last year against the Bulls. In that series, the Pacers could have very well swept the Bulls, that's how close those first few games were. The difference was that the Bulls had Rose, who went nuts at the end of those games, and the Bulls got the close victories. That is where having a star, especially on the perimeter, really makes the difference in the post-season.