MarShon Brooks Is Special

Nitro

Quietly, I have watched about 3/4 of the Nets games this season, and MarShon Brooks has been extremely impressive each game I have watched, Thus far, per 36min, he's averaging 19.1PPG/5.1RPG/1.4APG/1.4SPG and shooting 46.3% from the field, 39.5% from 3 and 75.0% from the FT line for a TS% of .557. Oh, and less than 2 TO's as well.

For a rookie, those are tremendous numbers because he's doing everything at a good volume right out the gate, but he's also been very efficient for a backcourt rookie who's getting 25+ minutes a night right out the gate. What makes him special, beyond the numbers, is how polished he is for a rookie. He actually reminds me of a smaller, less athletic version of 2000-2001ish Kobe. He can get to the rim, is very good in the midrange game, has an impressive (and surprising) post game, and can hit the open or contested 3pt shot. He also hustles a lot defensively and on the boards, though he has a lot of room for improvement in terms of technique defensively. The one area I feel he can definitely improve on is his playmaking, though with Deron Williams he obviously doesn't get much chance to show off what he can do there.

Overall, I really love how this kid plays, especially for a rookie. I feel he definitely has all-star potential, and I don't say that a lot about non-lottery draft picks. With Lopez recovering from injury, his emergence could actually save the Nets in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes, and make the Magic a little more comfortable with Lopez knowing they'd also get a rising young player in Brooks as well.

Video of one of his recent games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7jioO_VNY

Love him. Great attitude, great work ethic, great athleticism. His ability to create his own shot has been invaluable on a roster that is otherwise pretty weak. He needs to work on his defense, but he has the potential improve there with his wingspan and athleticism.

Stefan Bondy tweeted this earlier today:

Something that wasn't reported but should be mentioned after the ugly Utah loss: MarShon Brooks sat in front of his locker and didn’t move
His teammates had already left for the bus, but Brooks was in full uniform, fuming. He told me, "They’re not that good. ...
“We made them look a lot better than what they are. If we don’t come out and play with energy. ...
"we’re not a good enough team to come out and play 60 percent. We’re not going to win games like that.”
His teammates had left for the bus, but Brooks was in full uniform,fuming. Finally, he said, "I'm not going to let myself get used to this."

It hasn't taken very long for Brooks to become one of my favorites on the team. Major props to Billy on yet another great job with the draft.

I agree with you both. Brooks is going to be special. I honestly knew it after the first time I watched him ball.

One thing I do want to mention is that I don't like how Avery puts DWill and Brooks on the floor at the same time. They both need the rock since they both usually make plays off the dribble.

Obviously there will be moments where we will need both on the floor but Avery needs to do a better job of using both effectively. I've watched games where it seems like every possession we have on the offensive end results in the shot clock is running down before we have a good look. This will frequently produce a DWill or Brooks iso...not a very effective way to run an offense.

He has two things that will make this kid GREAT one day; skill and heart.

Edited by Guru