Westbrook wants $94mill extension w/ OKC

The Thunder have until January 25th to sign Russell Westbrook to an extension and sources say that "both sides are dug in right now."

Oklahoma City is hoping to preserve cap space to also re-sign James Harden and Serge Ibaka next year, but Westbrook could be eligible for 30 percent of the team's cap next season.

If Westbrook is selected to another All-NBA team, he could get a five-year, $94 million extension. The Thunder hope to sign him to the smaller five-year, $80 million extension.

Several sources close to the talks believe the sides will find a deal somewhere between the two numbers.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218367/Sources_Expect_Westbrook_Thunder_To_Split_Difference_Between_$80M_$94M#ixzz1jkT0EXKP

Westbrook is such a tool, hes not even good most of the time, he just chalks up way too many shitty shots and he only looks good because he has Kevin Durant bailing his ass out. Most overrated player in the NBA by far

Edited by Mentch

• Owner

I'll go ahead and elaborate, just for the sake of discussion.

The five years, $94 million is franchise player money. Starting all-star money. Superstar cash.

Guys like Gasol have earned that over time, being in the league for so long and considered a veteran player...that's different. Significant increases in salary cause that.

But Westbrook? I can justify giving the guy five seasons, because he's not injury-prone and he'll probably continue to put up his numbers (surely won't be declining anytime soon), but on average (not considering pay raise), that's what...a little less than $19-20 million a season? That's pretty steep.

If you want to know just how steep...well, Kevin Durant signed for five years, $85 million.

Westbrook is no Durant.

• Like 1

I'll go ahead and elaborate, just for the sake of discussion.

The five years, $94 million is franchise player money. Starting all-star money. Superstar cash.

Guys like Gasol have earned that over time, being in the league for so long and considered a veteran player...that's different. Significant increases in salary cause that.

But Westbrook? I can justify giving the guy five seasons, because he's not injury-prone and he'll probably continue to put up his numbers (surely won't be declining anytime soon), but on average (not considering pay raise), that's what...a little less than $19-20 million a season? That's pretty steep.

If you want to know just how steep...well, Kevin Durant signed for five years, $85 million.

Westbrook is no Durant.

but with that new 'derrick rose rule' Durant earns an extra 15mill over the course of his contract (i believe)

This is what a team with cap would give him if they have the chance... you don't pay players what they are worth, you pay them market value... market value for Russell Westbrook is max money... sorry to break it to you.

Exactly.

Is $94M too much for Westbrook in terms of his talent leve? Yeah, probably.

However, you aren't getting him for any less than that is he hits free agency. I guarantee you that the minute he becomes a free agent he is getting max offers. I know for a fact that Colangelo would offer him a max deal and wouldn't think twice about it. I'm not going to go over the salaries team by team, but I know for a fact that there are other teams who wouldn't hesitate to offer him that either.

If the Thunder want to keep him they are going to have to pay him this kind of money because he can get it somewere else and he knows it. Maybe he gives them a bit of a discount, but he is not going to be taking $14M less.

• Owner

We're talking about the extension, though. If he becomes a free agent, that's different...but right now, I don't see why the Thunder should just give him the $94 million.

Once the extension deadline passes (not sure when it is, since the season is shorter), then it makes more sense...but the Thunder would be dumb to just hand over the cash right now.

Plus, I still think they should offer him to Boston, for Rondo, straight up, but it won't happen.

We're talking about the extension, though. If he becomes a free agent, that's different...but right now, I don't see why the Thunder should just give him the $94 million.

Once the extension deadline passes (not sure when it is, since the season is shorter), then it makes more sense...but the Thunder would be dumb to just hand over the cash right now.

Plus, I still think they should offer him to Boston, for Rondo, straight up, but it won't happen.

The 25th of January is the extension deadline this year. At least, I think it is.

Lets be honest here, though, Westbrook knows what he can get in free agency. What exactly is the point in the Thunder offering him the $80M extension when he knows damn well that he can get them to pay him $94M in the summer by matching an offer sheet? He is never going to sign that.

He is getting the money regardless. You might as well hand it over now and avoid any potential unecessary drama. Sure, try to save a few million, but you aren't getting him for $80M.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it really doesn't matter one way or another. OKC isn't going to let him walk and will match any offer sheet anyways. Low ball him now and it doesn't really matter since he is an RFA. Even if you piss him off, its not like he will be able to sign somewhere else in the summer without you letting him anyways.

I still say just give him the $94M that he will inevitably get and get it out of the way.

Exactly.

Is $94M too much for Westbrook in terms of his talent leve? Yeah, probably.

However, you aren't getting him for any less than that is he hits free agency. I guarantee you that the minute he becomes a free agent he is getting max offers. I know for a fact that Colangelo would offer him a max deal and wouldn't think twice about it. I'm not going to go over the salaries team by team, but I know for a fact that there are other teams who wouldn't hesitate to offer him that either.

If the Thunder want to keep him they are going to have to pay him this kind of money because he can get it somewere else and he knows it. Maybe he gives them a bit of a discount, but he is not going to be taking $14M less.

Well I'd trade West-brook to one of the abysmal record teams, request players that best compliment Durant and or compensate for Brook's output; possibly ask for a future draft pick... With money saved via trade grab a explosive free agent enticed by playing with Durant; count my cash and get ready for draft.

Contract Details:

Brian Windhorst: Russell Westbrook's new contract does not have an opt out clause, he's committed to Thunder thru 2016-17

Chris Mannix: Westbrook agreed to the regular max, which guarantees him 25 percent of Thunder cap next season. He could have held out for the supermax... Twitter

“We are thrilled to solidify Russell’s future with the Thunder,” Oklahoma City general manager Sam Presti said in a news release. “Since we arrived in Oklahoma City, Russell’s work ethic, persistence, character, and involvement in our community have helped us establish the standards that we are committed to on a day-to-day basis. He is a valued member of our organization and we look forward to his continued contributions on and off the floor.”SheridanHoops