Report: Deron Williams is Rockets' primary trade target

Dash

Per Clutch, owner of Clutchfans.

Just before the lockout started, the Summer of 2012 was shaping up as the Howard & Paul Free-For-All, but it was made emphatically clear to me then that neither player was considered the key get for the Rockets. Houston’s top target was New Jersey Nets point guard Deron Williams, multiple sources told ClutchFans.

Let’s talk informally about what I think is about to become a big question for the Rockets and their fans. Here’s a breakdown of some of the things to consider:

If the Rockets pursue Williams, it won’t be the first time. We reported back in March that the Rockets and Jazz had discussed seriously a deal that would have brought Deron Williams to Houston. Since that report, I’ve been told stories about how close the two teams were. Ultimately the Rockets couldn’t compete with the final offer from New Jersey, but talks between Utah and Houston were advanced.

This doesn't come as much of a surprise to me, ever since the rumors of Deron Williams potentially being dealt at the trade deadline, I have been speculating that Houston could actually end up being the destination for him (assuming the Nets deal him). Had the Nets had their way with the Carmelo Anthony saga then the Jazz would have taken the Rockets' package for Deron in a heartbeat (Houston and New Jersey were reportedly the two frontrunners to get Deron).

The Rockets have information that leads them to believe that Williams likes Houston and is (at worst) open to playing here or (at best) wants to play here. That wasn’t the case with Dwight Howard or Chris Paul.

Possibly the most important piece of this article. If Houston is seeking to trade significant pieces for a possible rental then they would be foolish, BUT if they have strong evidence that Deron Williams would be interested in staying here beyond 2012 then you go for it.

If the allure of playing with the Houston Rockets was strong right now, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. It’s not, and as a result, Houston is not anywhere to be found on Dwight Howard’s list of desired locations. That could change if they get Williams. It’s been fascinating to read several media reports about how Deron & Dwight want to play together because I know this was what the Rockets were thinking in the summer. As one source put it back in July — “If you get Deron, Dwight coming to Houston becomes one thing it isn’t right now — possible.”

Might be the biggest reason behind Houston looking to go hard after Deron Williams, if Houston can preserve their 2012 cap space then they at least have a shot at signing Dwight Howard unless he is dealt to the Lakers or Mavericks at the trade deadline (if the Nets get him then this scenario isn't even possible).

Williams’ stock is falling — he’s shooting 36.6% so far on the season and was even worse last year for the Nets. The Rockets have a point guard who is rising in value — Kyle Lowry. Lowry is two years younger than Williams, playing like an All-Star across the board and is signed for two more seasons beyond this one at a bargain rate by NBA standards. The Nets are sinking at 3-11 and Williams looks disinterested. It seemed impossible that Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov would consider trading Williams given the price they paid to get him and their coming move to Brooklyn, but if they don’t get Howard themselves soon, they will have to make a very tough decision.

Yep, with the Dwight Howard saga going on along with this...Deron is going to get overlooked due his struggles and him being the #2 star POSSIBLY available at the deadline.

Williams is a Texas boy. He actually has a huge tattoo on his left arm of the state of Texas that says “Texas Made.” Kyle Lowry is East Coast to the bone (born and raised in Philly and played college there).

Williams may be from Texas, but he’s not from Houston — he’s from Dallas. Preventing another Miami Heat from happening in your own division, conference and state should be a top priority of the Rockets as the Mavericks, despite coming off a championship season, aren’t happy with the status quo and are hoping to put Williams, Howard and Dirk Nowitzki on the same team. If this happens, it’s going to be a wee bit difficult for Clutch City to raise pom poms to the tune of Jonny Flynn’s development.

Houston may not be his hometown but its probably the next best thing and it is a big market town. Interesting point that Clutch makes, if Dallas has their way then Houston and the rest of the teams in the Southwest are kind of screwed for the next couple of years. Another reason to at least take a shot at a Deron trade.

The Rockets have three key pieces that could be interesting to New Jersey. First, Lowry as the obvious replacement for Williams. Secondly, Luis Scola, who the Nets had a heavy interest in back in 2010 when Scola was a free agent. The last piece is Houston’s draft pick, which is much more flexible to deal to New Jersey specifically. The Rockets already owe the Nets a lottery-protected first round pick from the Terrence Williams trade that transfers to 2013 if Houston misses the postseason, and that handcuffs Morey and company in many ways from being able to deal their pick or future picks. If it appears the Rockets “may” miss the playoffs as we get closer to the trade deadline, dealing the lottery potential of this year’s pick to New Jersey makes everything neat and tidy.

Probably what is keeping Rockets fans from jumping on the bandwagon for a Deron trade is because they wouldn't like to part with Kyle Lowry, who definitely has a case to make the All-Star Game, and they know that Lowry by himself will not be enough to get a deal done. Houston would be taking a HUGE risk by trading the best player this franchise has had since Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady along with other youth and picks.

The talk of the Dwight Howard pursuit has been the Los Angeles Lakers’ reluctance to part with both Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol in a deal for Howard. If the Rockets had not been rammed off the road by David Stern, do you think they would have been willing to deal Gasol and Nene for Howard and Hedo Turkoglu’s contract in a scenario where they would be pairing him with Williams? I was told in so many words that this added to the pain of that deal being blocked, as every Daryl Morey deal seems to be setting up for the next one. This is a problem facing the Rockets right now — the Lakers have Bynum and the Nets have Brook Lopez, but the Rockets don’t have a key big to make an offer attractive.

So it boils down to this question if you’re the Rockets: Do you pursue a max-contract star in Deron Williams in an attempt to become a top NBA locale once again, but doing it at the cost of your highly underrated and underpaid point guard in Kyle Lowry?

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/2279/deron-williams-houston-rockets/

So the plan all along was to pair Deron Williams and Dwight Howard? By completing the Chris Paul trade, Houston would have taken out their biggest competitor for Dwight Howard in the Los Angeles Lakers and their offer for Dwight (Pau Gasol + Nene) could have trumped whatever New Jersey could offer especially if the Magic are sticking by the report that they want to continue to compete. Its quite ridiculous how bad David Stern screwed over Houston by vetoing that trade.

As for the Deron Williams trade, if he's available by the trade deadline then you absolutely go for it even at the cost of Kyle Lowry+.

Edited by Dash
  • Like 1

There aren't a whole lot of scenarios in which Deron would be available at the deadline. Even if Dwight is dealt at the deadline, that doesn't guarantee Deron's becoming available. The Nets still have the cap room to sign Dwight straight-up.

Very true, I wouldn't put it past Prokhorov to make a gutsy call like that and truth is that as long as they have Deron Williams then the Nets have a chance at signing Dwight Howard. Even if they don't get Dwight I could see Deron Williams returning as a Net next season if the Nets can trade for a significant upgrade at the wing or up front, and add a top talent from this year's draft.

IF Deron is available though then I think the Rockets should be among the frontrunners to land him because they're willing to move key pieces without a long term commitment from Deron (just look at the lowball offers the Hornets got during the offseason for Paul).

Very true, I wouldn't put it past Prokhorov to make a gutsy call like that and truth is that as long as they have Deron Williams then the Nets have a chance at signing Dwight Howard. Even if they don't get Dwight I could see Deron Williams returning as a Net next season if the Nets can trade for a significant upgrade at the wing or up front, and add a top talent from this year's draft.

IF Deron is available though then I think the Rockets should be among the frontrunners to land him because they're willing to move key pieces without a long term commitment from Deron (just look at the lowball offers the Hornets got during the offseason for Paul).

That's crucial. And considering Billy King's outstanding draft history and this year's great class, I would have high hopes that we land a solid 3 (maybe our aims change by then, but who knows).

Dwight will be a free agent no matter what, so a team with Deron, MarShon, and hopefully Lopez would catch his eye.

And if Deron does somehow become available, I'm sure you guys could at least offer better value than what some of the delusional Magic writers think Orlando could deal for Deron.

• Like 1

• Owner
So the plan all along was to pair Deron Williams and Dwight Howard? By completing the Chris Paul trade, Houston would have taken out their biggest competitor for Dwight Howard in the Los Angeles Lakers and their offer for Dwight (Pau Gasol + Nene) could have trumped whatever New Jersey could offer especially if the Magic are sticking by the report that they want to continue to compete. Its quite ridiculous how bad David Stern screwed over Houston by vetoing that trade.

Why would Nene go to Houston, though? He wasn't a part of that trade, and I have a hard time believing he was going to be on any other team but the Denver Nuggets. The guy was offered big bucks to go play with Deron Williams in New Jersey, and he declined, just to stay with the Nuggets. Can't trade Nene if he's in Denver.

If Deron is truly interested in Houston, and there is a possibility the Rockets could land him...well, it would have been a Deron/Pau duo. You have to remember that Gasol makes nearly $20 million, and that trade (if it went through) would have dealt almost everything valuable to the Hornets, minus Kyle Lowry.

Would the Magic take Lowry and Gasol? I don't see why they would. Lowry is putting up some damn good numbers, but he's not proven all-star just yet, and Gasol is over 30 and showing it (not to mention making that $20 mill).

Now, yeah...Howard would probably like the Rockets, if Houston somehow landed Deron...but how will they land Deron before the deadline? They would have to trade more pieces.

I just don't see this happening. It would have to be a picture-perfect scenario, one that both Williams and Howard draw up...where they both stay with their teams until July, and both teams decide to keep them until July...then Houston takes their entire team and trades it off to New Jersey and Orlando. OR, they take big pieces to trade for Deron, and make room (somehow) to sign Howard.

Just feels like a reach. The likelihood that all of the chips would fall in the right place? Yikes...I'd be shocked.

Why would Nene go to Houston, though? He wasn't a part of that trade, and I have a hard time believing he was going to be on any other team but the Denver Nuggets. The guy was offered big bucks to go play with Deron Williams in New Jersey, and he declined, just to stay with the Nuggets. Can't trade Nene if he's in Denver.

Honestly I have no clue but judging from the way the Rockets pushed that deal I am convinced that Pau + Nene was a packaged deal. Everything we've heard from the Rockets' front seems to confirm this theory.

If Deron is truly interested in Houston, and there is a possibility the Rockets could land him...well, it would have been a Deron/Pau duo. You have to remember that Gasol makes nearly $20 million, and that trade (if it went through) would have dealt almost everything valuable to the Hornets, minus Kyle Lowry.

Disagree, the Rockets would still have a plethora of youth to offer in a trade. Dragic is okay and the Knicks pick will be a mid first round pick. Don't forget that the Hornets REALLY wanted to nab Courtney Lee and Patrick Patterson after the veto.

Would the Magic take Lowry and Gasol? I don't see why they would. Lowry is putting up some damn good numbers, but he's not proven all-star just yet, and Gasol is over 30 and showing it (not to mention making that $20 mill).

Now, yeah...Howard would probably like the Rockets, if Houston somehow landed Deron...but how will they land Deron before the deadline? They would have to trade more pieces.

I just don't see this happening. It would have to be a picture-perfect scenario, one that both Williams and Howard draw up...where they both stay with their teams until July, and both teams decide to keep them until July...then Houston takes their entire team and trades it off to New Jersey and Orlando. OR, they take big pieces to trade for Deron, and make room (somehow) to sign Howard.

Just feels like a reach. The likelihood that all of the chips would fall in the right place? Yikes...I'd be shocked.

I'd imagine that the Rockets would be trying to get Deron in a deal for Lowry along with a few other prospects (Marcus Morris?) and the Magic deal would have been for Pau Gasol + Nene + youth for insurance (Patrick Patterson? Donatas Motiejunas? Chandler Parsons?) and Houston would have taken back Hedo. Both of those trades probably would have been on par with the Lakers offer of only Bynum. If Nene doesn't sign with Houston though then this scenario suddenly becomes highly unlikely but Houston would still be able to trade for one of Deron and Dwight.

It is so hilarious that Houston is in every trade/fa rumour, and everyone still eats it up despite them never making a move.

We have horrible luck.

I think it would be stupid for Houston to gut their team for D Will. Is D Will even that much better then Lowry? Srs question.

Hilariously enough there are a lot of Rockets fans that share this opinion.

Edited by Dash