Mo Williams On The Road To 6th Man of the Year

It's only appropriate because it's now obvious even to his doubters that he's becoming a factor off the bench. No other player bench player can bring the intensity and scoring prowess that Mo brings.

Mo Williams Best Sixth man this team has EVER had. Period.

Edited by Šhãłïq

Gotta give Mo his props, wasnt really sure how he was going to deal with coming off the bench. Honestly assumed he was going to be a baby, and either play his way out of LA or demand a trade, like most nba players would have, but instead he has done the complete opposite. Hope he gets the award, the guy is a great teammate and plays hard when he is on the floor. Jacked up a lot of unneeded shots while he was here in Cleveland but he was really the only other guy that could score when LBJ was here.

WILLIAMS APPROACHING HISTORIC BENCH MARK

Clippers reserve guard Mo Williams has been on a scoring tear of late. He’s scored 25 points or more in three straight games, including 17 points in a row during the fourth quarter Sunday. He finished with a game-high 26. The third time in as many games Williams has led the Clippers in scoring. He’s the first player in the league since Nate Robinson to score 25-plus points off the bench in that span and he’s one of two Clippers players to accomplish the feat (rookie forward Michael Brooks in 1980). Call it a Sixth Man of the Year candidacy officially submitted. After practice Clippers power forward Blake Griffin said Williams has been “unbelievable.”

“The way he’s come off the bench, he’s really embraced that role,” Griffin said. “You can tell when he gets on the court he always brings energy and that’s what we love. The obvious thing is the scoring, and he brings that, but his energy and his hustle on defense is huge for us.”

With Paul working his way back in the lineup, Del Negro said that it will crucial for the team to continue to find shots and minutes for his do-it-all sub.

Source

Another good read on Mo:

Mo Williams makes the most of his time with Clippers

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2012-01/67670193.jpg

The backup guard gets limited minutes, but it's not limiting his effectiveness. In his last five games, he's scored 26, 25, 26, 16 and 18 points.

This isn't the way Clippers guard Mo Williams hoped his season would go, coming off the bench and being a sparkplug instead of a starter. But this is his role now, coming off the bench amid a glut of guards and seizing those moments with all of his considerable talent. He has been doing it well, biting his tongue and biding his time and excelling in a difficult situation.

"I feel good. I always feel pretty good," he said Thursday before the Clippers' 98-91 victory over the Memphis Grizzlies at Staples Center. "If I play enough minutes I'll play well." Is he playing enough minutes? He shrugged. "I'll be all right. I will," he said. "I'm a big boy."

Williams was better than all right Thursday. By scoring 14 points in the second half he was a catalyst as the Clippers pulled away from the Grizzlies and avoided a second straight loss. With 18 points overall he became the Clippers' second-leading scorer Thursday (along with Chris Paul) behind only Blake Griffin's 20-point performance, and he contributed four steals in a solid defensive effort. In a key sequence, Williams hit three consecutive jumpers early in the fourth quarter to give the Clippers some breathing room, sinking a 21-foot shot to give them an 82-78 lead, a 19-footer to pad the lead to 84-78 and an 18-footer to make it 86-80.

Full Story

Lou actually gets mentioned in this epic read by Sekou Smith:

Mo Williams In The Zone!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2012/images/01/27/0127-mo-williams-526.jpg

Willing to fit in: Mo Williams could have stirred up Clipperland after the CP3 deal. Instead, he's embraced his new role.

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – He could have turned the locker room upside down, made a mess of the team’s chemistry and pouted his way out of town if he wanted to. All of those options were available to Clippers guard Mo Williams when the Chris Paul trade went down. It soon became clear that his time as the Clippers’ starting point guard would be limited to the 22 games he got last season and whatever injury replacement starts he might get with Paul in the fold this season. To his credit, Williams, who arrived in L.A. via a deadline-day trade with Cleveland last season, has done exactly what he’s always done: put his head down and go to work without so much as a shoulder shrug while handling himself like a true pro.

He’s been on a tear of late, averaging 22.2 points on 56 percent shooting from the floor and an outlandish 54 percent from beyond the 3-point line in the Clippers’ last five games. He’s scored 26, 25, 26, 16 and 18 points in those five games, the first three when the Clippers had to play without Paul (strained hamstring). Keep this up and he’ll make the voting for the Sixth Man Award an all Williams affair. Philadelphia’s Lou Williams is our early frontrunner here at the hideout.

Mo Williams was tremendous in a win over the Grizzlies last night on TNT, smoking defenders off the dribble and showing off the shooting touch that has been his hallmark throughout his NBA career. His 14 points after halftime was the extra push the Clippers needed to get past a game Grizzlies team that got some bench scoring of its own from O.J. Mayo.

FULL STORY