Best One-on-One Defender In The League Is .... Bargnani?

We already knew Andrea Bargnani was playing at a career-best level before a calf strain put him on the shelf, maybe even at an All Star level. Most of that was based on his impressive and efficient offensive arsenal to start the season, and also on what fans and experts alike agreed was a dramatic improvement in his team defence (he was already a decent man-to-man defender, whether you want to believe it or not).

But nobody, not even the most optimistic Raptors fan or Bargnani supporter could have predicted or imagined this:

http://blogimages.thescore.com/raptorblog/files/2012/01/Untitled-4.jpg

After I got over the shock of this tweet, I began to wonder what exactly this meant. Did it mean Bargnani had the lowest Defensive Points Per Possession rating when he was on the floor? Did it mean Bargnani had the best rating in terms of one-on-one situations? There’s obviously a big difference.

Luckily for us, Hardwood Paroxysm founder Matt Moore responds to tweets and gladly answered my questions. Here are his responses:

http://blogimages.thescore.com/raptorblog/files/2012/01/Untitled-2.jpg

http://blogimages.thescore.com/raptorblog/files/2012/01/Untitled-31.jpg

I won’t argue with you if you say 11 games is too small a sample to officially proclaim Bargnani a changed player, but as I wrote yesterday, there hasn’t been that much to get excited about in the first quarter of this season, so Bargnani’s apparent evolution from one-dimensional bust to a complete package and possible All Star (if he gets back on the court this week and picks up where he left off) is what we’re left with.

Who knows how Bargnani will look and play when he returns from injury? Maybe a month from now we’re all frustrated about the return of “Old Bargnani.” But for right now, Andrea continues to provide us with hope and evidence (even when he’s not playing) that the Raptors have at least one of their five positions filled with an above average player, on both ends of the floor, for the next few years.

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog/2012/01/24/of-course-andrea-bargnani-has-the-best-defensive-rating-in-the-nba/

The sample size is small (Bargnani has played just 387 minutes this season) but this is still impressive regardless.

It would be even more impressive it it was something to do with help defense since most Raptor fans know that Bargs has actually been a fairly solid invidiual defender throughout his career and it is his poor help defense and rebounding that is the problem.

Wow. I'm pretty shocked about this. Did he really have to defend any good players before his injury though is my only question? I don't remember us playing any good teams really.

Off the top of my head, he has defended:

Hibbert

Dirk

Jamison (twice)

Anderson

Chandler

Blatche

Darko

Okur/Shelden Williams

Hawes/Vucevic

I can't recall for sure, but those are the guys I remember him guarding during his games this season. In the Sacramento game he wasn't guarding Cousins so he would've been on Thompson/Hickson but he left that game midway through the 3rd with injury anyways.

Also, HP takes into account everything. If he gets switched onto a guard, that is considered. If he and Amir switched assignments for a while and he guarded Love while Amir was on Darko or Williams, that would be considered as well.

Seriously guys, this sounds like a joke! I like Bargnani's game but he's by far not the best One-on-One defender in the league.

Do you actually think we seriously believe that he is the best one-on-one defender in the league?

It was just a comment about how so far this season he has held his man to the lowest PPP (point per possession) in the NBA this season. So far this season, he has been one of the best individual defenders in the league and the numbers back that up. That is all this thread is about.

Nobody actually thinks he is legitimately the best individual defender in the league.

Off the top of my head, he has defended:

Hibbert

Dirk

Jamison (twice)

Anderson

Chandler

Blatche

Darko

Okur/Shelden Williams

Hawes/Vucevic

I can't recall for sure, but those are the guys I remember him guarding during his games this season. In the Sacramento game he wasn't guarding Cousins so he would've been on Thompson/Hickson but he left that game midway through the 3rd with injury anyways.

Also, HP takes into account everything. If he gets switched onto a guard, that is considered. If he and Amir switched assignments for a while and he guarded Love while Amir was on Darko or Williams, that would be considered as well.

Do you actually think we seriously believe that he is the best one-on-one defender in the league?

It was just a comment about how so far this season he has held his man to the lowest PPP (point per possession) in the NBA this season. So far this season, he has been one of the best individual defenders in the league and the numbers back that up. That is all this thread is about.

Nobody actually thinks he is legitimately the best individual defender in the league.

Is this acounting for opposing players shooting %? I'm not fully sure what points per possession means exactly.

Is this acounting for opposing players shooting %? I'm not fully sure what points per possession means exactly.

In simple terms, it is ultimately what it sounds like. The number of points scored per possession.

However, it is not that simple when calculating it.

The forumla used for determining PPP is:

PPP = (100 x points scored) / ((FGA - O-Rebs) + TO + (.436 x FTA))

A explanation in words would probably be more helpful, so this should help:

Points per possession is the best way available to measure the quality of offenses and defenses. The method takes into account points scored, field goal percentage, turnovers, offensive rebounds, and free throw percentage - everything (except for assists and, maybe, fouls) that can justifiably be looked at in measuring offensive or defensive quality. Possessions, as they were defined previously, make such a complete measurement possible. Repeating what is so important: When a team has the ball, its whole purpose is to score as many points as possible before it becomes the defense. If it were easily accomplished, teams would try to get fouled every time, miss the last free throw, get the offensive rebound, try to get fouled, miss the last free throw, etc., never having to play defense. Score lots of points in a possession and you are not giving the opposition a chance to catch up. The most common way to do that now is to score two points every time down the court. Points per possession shows which offenses do it best and which defenses stop it best.

http://www.rawbw.com/~deano/helpscrn/rtgs.html

It really is best to think about it in simple terms as just the amount of points scored per possesion and not get too in depth.

In simple terms, it is ultimately what it sounds like. The number of points scored per possession.

However, it is not that simple when calculating it.

The forumla used for determining PPP is:

PPP = (100 x points scored) / ((FGA - O-Rebs) + TO + (.436 x FTA))

A explanation in words would probably be more helpful, so this should help:

http://www.rawbw.com/~deano/helpscrn/rtgs.html

It really is best to think about it in simple terms as just the amount of points scored per possesion and not get too in depth.

Sounds pretty legit. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Honestly never questioned his defense. Yeah he isn't a rim protector, his weakside help is bad, but as a man defender, he has always been solid. It has always been a matter of effort, especially on the glass, that has been lacking.

I bet most the leaders in this stat are bigs though, mostly due to the lack of quality bigs in the league who will give you mroe then barely double digits in points.

Edited by Check my Stats

For those of you who were wondering what exactly his PPP is, since it isn't posted in the article, here it is, along with two other stats:

.64 ppp against

33% fg against

31.1% scored against

This wouldn't take last night's game against the Jazz into account, though.