OTR Houston Rockets Roundtable

Dash

1. Houston struggled in the early going but have since gone on a 5 game winning streak to be above .500 for the first time this season at 8-7. Currently the Rockets are tied with the Memphis Grizzlies for the Western Conference's 8th seed and are 2 games back of the division leading San Antonio Spurs (who are without Manu Ginobili by the way). What is the Rockets' ceiling this year as a team?

Yugo: I think we have a shot at the second round and maybe a 40-26 record.

htownborn: I think that the Rockets ceiling is possibly making it to the playoff contender at maybe the 7th or 8th seed.

ChosenOne: I believe with our current squad our ceiling is around the 4th (division leader) or 8th seed. The team as a whole is finally getting in to a groove as players are getting into better shape and others are figuring out their role. If we can manage to keep everyone healthy and Sammy D continues to get into better shape then we will be able to pass a banged up spurs squad and become division leaders. If we are not capable of getting past a Manuless Spurs team then we really have a reason be be concerned.

Dash: Where the Rockets end up in the playoff seeding at the end of the year heavily depends on whether or not they win the Southwest division. Believe it or not the Rockets are the hottest team in the NBA right now, currently nursing a 7 game winning streak and hope to extend it tonight at home to 8 wins. Right now they are just half a game back of the Spurs and Mavericks for the division lead and for the next few weeks, the Rockets' schedule is cakewalk. Manu Ginobili and Zach Randolph are still out for quite a while and the Mavericks don't have the luxury of Houston youth as the season grinds on. So at least for the next couple of weeks, we could see the Houston Rockets leading the Southwest division and owning the league's 4th seed (division winners are granted a top 4 seed automatically). However, I don't think Houston is able to keep the lead for long as the Grizzlies and Spurs get healthy and Dallas begins to figure things out. Realistically I think the Rockets squeeze into the playoffs with the 7th or 8th seed, and their ceiling is the 6th spot unless they can win the division somehow.

2. In the 15 games the Rockets have played so far this season, what Houston Rocket do you think has made the most impact?

ChosenOne: That's very easily has to be Kyle Lowery. He is the engine that runs this team in just about every aspect of the game, his defense, play making and scoring has never been as good as it has been early in this season. He has really matured into a star/borderline allstar pg for us.

Yugo: Lowry

Dash: Easily Kyle Lowry. His game offensively has expanded so much this year that it might be enough to get us over the hump and into the playoffs. He has been exhausted for the last few games but he still plays the game with all his heart although I feel like he deferred too much to Kevin Martin in the Hornets game, but again I think the main reason behind that would be the 5 games in 6 nights. The area I have been most impressed with him is his confidence, Lowry isn't afraid of launching a long bomb from three point range or taking the biggest shot of the night with a minute or so left. Not only that but he makes those shots. For a guy who wasn't expected to be much of a jumpshooter, Lowry has been downright deadly. A close second to Lowry would HAVE to be Samuel Dalembert. I never thought this signing would turn this good, Dalembert still isn't 100% physically fit yet but he's been anchoring the Rockets' once very poor defense and hasn't been a complete dud on offense. I have no clue what got into him, maybe Kevin McHale or he just wants to prove himself? I don't know or care as long as he keeps putting up this production.

htownborn: Kyle Lowry without a doubt he's been amazing since the start of the season. Avg 16.5 pts, 8.7 ast, and 6.9 rbs those are all-star numbers to bad he may not make it though. Dalembert has been a pleasant surprise as well.

3. The general consensus among Rockets fans was that Houston had themselves a pretty decent haul in the 2011 NBA Draft. Granted its still very early in the season but how would you reassess the Rockets draft night?

htownborn: I'm fine with the draft for the most part but if I could do it over I would have chose Kawhi Leonard over Marcus Morris. I like Morris but he's a tweener that really doesn't have a position yet. I think he has potential but Leonard is doing pretty good in San Anton and we could use a guy like him on our team since SF is a position were we could really use an upgrade at.

Dash: I originally gave the Rockets a B on draft night but now I have to raise it up to AT LEAST an A. Chandler Parsons was the last and most forgettable of the three Rockets draft picks, but he has become one of the biggest reasons (behind Dalembert and Lowry) why Houston is 10-7 and in playoff position. You wouldn't be able to tell that from the stat sheet though, Parsons essentially does all the dirty work for the Rockets much like former Rocket Shane Battier once did. Essentially a jack-of-all-trades, Parsons has managed to get the most out of himself by hustling on both ends and putting to use his exceptionally high basketball IQ. Defensively is where I think he shines the most and he might be the best perimeter defender in his draft class behind Kawhi Leonard (doesn't have the physical tools that Leonard has), who just happens to be the guy I wanted the Rockets to take with the 14th pick. Speaking of that pick...Marcus Morris has been dominating in the D-League and certainly looks like an NBA player, but the reason he isn't in the Rockets' rotation right now is because Houston wants him to slowly translate into a 3 in the minors. Finally we get to Donatas Motiejunas, who in Daryl Morey's words has been “a top ten player” in Europe and a guy the Rockets are apparently very high on. Motiejunas addressed his criticis convincingly enough in Poland after putting up historic numbers on the boards and playing more active. I seriously can't wait for Motiejunas to get to Houston next season. Great, great draft.

Yugo: 2 words: Chandler Parsons, a rookie yet already stole the starting spot from Chase Budinger.

ChosenOne: To make an early judgement it would say it was an ok draft for us as the team is seeing something out of Parsons to make him a starter. But we are only a quarter of the way through the season so it is to early to say with certainty.

4. Possibly the biggest debate among Rockets fans has been whether or not to tear the team apart or shoot for the playoffs. In your opinion what route would be the best option?

Dash: By “tearing it down” we would be moving Samuel Dalembert, Kevin Martin and Luis Scola for more youth and draft picks. Its nice and all but I don't expect us to get equal value in return for either of those guys (except maybe Dalembert because of the lack of centers in the league and the way he has been playing), but I can't picture the Rockets finishing anywhere lower than 8th in the standings and that doesn't put them in great position to land a top 3 pick. Houston is already one of the youngest teams in the NBA and Morey has drafted extremely well in his time here, even if it means missing out in the stacked lottery this year, I am fine with this team continuing to compete and push for a playoff spot. With the emergence of Kyle Lowry, the Rockets have one thing they haven't had since Yao Ming...an All-Star, or a player that is very much capable of being an All-Star this season. Push for a playoff seed, hopefully avoid the Thunder in the first round and go from there. Again this team is still very young so Houston could be viewed as a team on the rise if they can put up a fight in the first round.

Yugo: Shoot for the playoffs, the team is fine and one of the youngest in the NBA.

ChosenOne: Kyle Lowery top ten point guard, Kevin Martin top five shooting guard, Luis Scola star power forward, and Sammy D is a very legit center when in shape and healthy. I dont understand why one would want to rebuild with a core like this. Im 110% for playoffs.

htownborn: Since were winning alot lately with the team we have I say shoot for the playoffs and try and build around what we got. We have a good team were just missing a superstar that can help us in tough and close game situations. Lowry can be that guy but he still needs help.

5. Once again the Houston Rockets find themselves in the middle of another possible blockbuster rumor, but this time Houston has been linked with Nets guard Deron Williams. IF they were looking to deal him, would you pull the trigger on a package deal that would send Kyle Lowry along with other pieces to New Jersey for Deron, who could possibly end up being a rental?

Yugo: I would do it but I would definitely not be sad if it didn't happen, Deron is definitely an upgrade but Lowry has become a beast this year.

ChosenOne: Only and Only if he is willing to sign. Even if its for only 2 years with us (like the CP3 situation) i would do it in a heart beat. Before this season i would have taken him as a rental but now with the play of Lowery i wouldn't. Lowery is putting up all star numbers for us and is making it work. If Deron said yes to signing with us then yes i would basically trade away everyone for him.

htownborn: I would trade anyone on our team for D-Will honestly but I wouldn't do it unless Deron is committed to staying and we are able to get another star player in Houston to convince him to stay.

Dash: Without any hesitation, I would pull the trigger on a deal where we move Kyle Lowry along with Luis Scola/Patrick Patterson and possibly some youth and picks to New Jersey for a possible rental in Deron Williams. Deron would give the Rockets a top 10 NBA player and someone to build a team around. Kevin Martin (likely staying in a Deron Williams deal) would be the single best player Deron Williams has played with in years, and the Rockets would still have some depth that could make this a formidable team come playoff time. Personally I hope New Jersey bites on our youth/picks instead of a veteran like Scola and we can go forward into the playoffs with a lineup consisting of Deron Williams, Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and Samuel Dalembert. Also if the Rockets somehow do land Deron Williams then the plan heading into the free agency would definitely be to preserve enough cap space in order to sell Dwight Howard on teaming up with Deron in Houston. This whole scenario could be a huge gamble by the Rockets but it is definitely worth taking a chance on. If Deron Williams walks in free agency then the Rockets can finally go into a full rebuild. Personally I don't see New Jersey putting Deron Williams on the block considering what they gave up for him in the first place, but IF he is available then the Rockets have to go for it.

Edited by Dash
  • Like 2