Luol Deng will try to play WITH the torn ligament.

Hardened by past questions about his toughness and buoyed by the Bulls' championship potential, an upbeat Luol Deng will try to play through a torn ligament in his left wrist that sources say doctors suggested he have surgery to repair.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-0125-bulls-chicago--20120125,0,4003263.story?track=rss

well that's a stupid decision if i've ever seen one. it's not even close to playoffs, and with the compressed schedule, he will be lucky not to further injury his wrist. why not let the bulls try and ride out the season, and hope to be back healthy for the playoffs?

I always admire a player who is willing to put his team above all else in the face of injury, but you have the draw a line. If Deng can't help his team due to this injury, it isn't worth it. So I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Also, anyone know how long he'd be out with the surgery?

Isn't this esstentially the same injury as Kobe has? The same Kobe who is averaging 30PPG? And this is in Deng's not shooting hand, correct? It's not like he does a lot of things off the dribble with his left hand, which is the only area on the basketball court a wrist injury to the off-hand will seriously affect a perimeter player. He can be a physical defender, and he may shy away from that a bit with this injury, but overall I wouldn't be too concerned if he played. Besides, having HCA is the only way I can see this team beating the Heat, and while I still think they'll be fine without him, they might lose that opportunity if they sit him a few weeks/a month.

Isn't this esstentially the same injury as Kobe has? The same Kobe who is averaging 30PPG? And this is in Deng's not shooting hand, correct? It's not like he does a lot of things off the dribble with his left hand, which is the only area on the basketball court a wrist injury to the off-hand will seriously affect a perimeter player. He can be a physical defender, and he may shy away from that a bit with this injury, but overall I wouldn't be too concerned if he played. Besides, having HCA is the only way I can see this team beating the Heat, and while I still think they'll be fine without him, they might lose that opportunity if they sit him a few weeks/a month.

We don't know if it's the same injury Kobe has. It's a torn ligament, but the wrist has like 14 different ligaments, so it could be different. Playing on it is a pain threshold issue, he can't do any more damage to it since it's already completely torn. If he opted for surgery he'd basically be out for the season since it takes about 4 months to rehab from. We'll just have to wait and see how effective he can be with it. He's saying he's playing Sunday in Miami.

They can lose a few games. They're locks for the playoffs.

I'm not worried about the regular season, I couldn't care less. But if he opts for surgery he's gone til probably the conference finals, then you gotta get in game shape and everything. So if he can't do anymore damage to it, might as well just play provided he can deal with the pain.