Dwight Howard open to signing with Celtics

Dash

Dwight Howard might be interested in signing with the Celtics this summer.

“Always. Always,” Howard said. “I’d always listen to a team like that.”

Howard said his primary goal is to win a championship.

“My thing is I want to win,” Howard said. “It’s not something like I’m doing this for money. I win. I want to do it my way.

“The first thing is basketball. I want to win a championship, and it takes a certain type of team to win a championship. You know, there’s a lot of teams who are great during the regular season. They play well, but it’s different once you play in those playoffs, you know? It’s gut-check time.

“Like I told the Magic, I just want to win. I don’t want a team that doesn’t know how you have to win in the playoffs. I want a team that’s going to go out every night and forget about stats, forget about who scores the most points or who is the fan favorite. Just go out and play, play for each other and play to win. That’s the only thing.”

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218578/Howard_Open_To_Signing_With_Celtics#ixzz1kbskqk8t

I actually would really like that move for Dwight. If they get him via trade, they'd have to give up a package revolving around Rondo and maybe Allen (for his expiring contract), but this summer KG also comes off the books, allowing them to get another big-name FA in the offseason. Boston has good management, tradition and coach, and with Pierce + a few other pieces via FA, he would definitely be on a serious contender for the next few seasons.

And if Dwight somehow hits FA, they'd be able to sign him outright, and would likely get Allen and KG on the cheap as well.

It's funny how he wants the Magic to win and know how to win in the playoffs, especially after his performance in the playoffs last season. A star play should not only put up numbers, but has to have the ability to light a fire under his team. He doesn't have the intangibles.

And what is he doing talking about this still? Ignore the questions and focus on your job. It's disrespectful to the fans who pay to see you.

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised by this, considering Boston is one year away from being in full on rebuild mode. Dwight says he want to win, and unless Boston just fully rebuilds through free agency in one off season, it's not going to be a winning team right away.

I'm kind of surprised by this, considering Boston is one year away from being in full on rebuild mode. Dwight says he want to win, and unless Boston just fully rebuilds through free agency in one off season, it's not going to be a winning team right away.

My guess is that Ray and KG will sign for significant smaller contracts to play with Dwight errily similar to how the Heat did last year and Boston's big three did a couple of years ago.

My guess is that Ray and KG will sign for significant smaller contracts to play with Dwight errily similar to how the Heat did last year and Boston's big three did a couple of years ago.

Even if Garnett and Allen take pay cuts to stick around and play with Dwight, those guys are not getting any younger. I don't know how effective they would really be (especially KG) next year. They would definitely be a playoff team considering they already are right now, but Paul Pierce is way out of shape, and I don't think Dwight with the old 3 are championship contenders.

If they can wait and get him at free agency, and still be able to keep Rondo, that could be a different story.

Even if Garnett and Allen take pay cuts to stick around and play with Dwight, those guys are not getting any younger. I don't know how effective they would really be (especially KG) next year. They would definitely be a playoff team considering they already are right now, but Paul Pierce is way out of shape, and I don't think Dwight with the old 3 are championship contenders.

If they can wait and get him at free agency, and still be able to keep Rondo, that could be a different story.

Look at the players Dwight is playing along side now and how effective that team can be when he actually plays.

I was mad at him before for not playing all the way through that game where they lost a 30 point lead but it did show me that the team around him is abysmal if he does not play 100 percent.

That argument in itself is the reason why he is not a leader yet, enter LeBron comparison here, so if Dwight runs to the C's he can make up whatever physical play that the big three's talent can't fill; Add Pietrus, Bass, and Daniels and the Boston bandwagon is back rolling.

Edited by Art Hues

Look at the players Dwight is playing along side now and how effective that team can be when he actually plays. I was mad at him before for not playing all the way through that game where they lost a 30 point lead but it did show me that the team around him is abysmal if he does not play 100 percent. Which is only an argument for why he is not a leader yet, enter LeBron comparison here, so if Dwight runs to the C's he can make up whatever physical play that KG and Ray's talent can't fill.

You make a very good point. The thing is, if you look at what Dwight has said, it sounds like to me he wants to play on a team where he doesn't have to carry them through wins. Now I know it wouldn't be nearly as bad on the Celtics as it is with the Magic, but he is still basically going to be carrying them. I fully agree with the fact that Dwight would make the Celtics a very good team, but you've made it clear he can make a team as bad as the Magic a good team. He wants a team that doesn't need him to be a winner.

You make a very good point. The thing is, if you look at what Dwight has said, it sounds like to me he wants to play on a team where he doesn't have to carry them through wins. Now I know it wouldn't be nearly as bad on the Celtics as it is with the Magic, but he is still basically going to be carrying them. I fully agree with the fact that Dwight would make the Celtics a very good team, but you've made it clear he can make a team as bad as the Magic a good team. He wants a team that doesn't need him to be a winner.

Good point but Rondo is the little engine that makes this wagon roll like Fred Flinstone.

Even if Dwight decides he does not want to play on the C's they will be able to use his trade value to get a serviceable big man that would graciously take a pay-cut to play on a team that is known for winning.

Edited by Art Hues

Good point but Rondo is the little engine that makes this wagon roll like Fred Flinstone.

Even if Dwight decides he does not want to play on the C's they will be able to use his trade value to get a serviceable big man that would graciously take a pay-cut to play on a team that is known for winning.

Yeah you're right. With a team like the Celtics, a rebuild will not take as long or as much effort as it does with smaller market teams. Guys want to play for the Celtics because they know the Celtics know how to get a winning team put together.

Yeah you're right. With a team like the Celtics, a rebuild will not take as long or as much effort as it does with smaller market teams. Guys want to play for the Celtics because they know the Celtics know how to get a winning team put together.

Exactly.