Blake Griffin Responds to Barnes

The Lakers own the Clippers mentally; they are just toying with them on and off the court. Subtle mocking's, after subtle mocking's; until the Clippers win in the play-offs they are just setting themselves up for failure trying to live up to the hype.

LAC has only been together as a team for a little over two months and they sincerely believe they can consistently compete with a team that has been together for multiple season and during those aforementioned seasons they four. three two rings together.

Edited by Art Hues

The Lakers own the Clippers mentally; they are just toying with them on and off the court. Subtle mocking's, after subtle mocking's; until the Clippers win in the play-offs they are just setting themselves up for failure trying to live up to the hype.

LAC has only been together as a team for a little over two months and they sincerely believe they can consistently compete with a team that has been together for multiple season and during those aforementioned season won four three rings together.

two

two

Thanks...

I'm not hating on the clips they just need to leave there ego's at the door. Submit. listen. and learn from teams like L.A. they could only benefit and reach there full potential.

The Heat of last year were eerily similar in potential but because they lacked respect for every team in the league and failed to develop a set of reliable go to plays, they got deconstructed on the biggest stage.

Edited by Art Hues

I'm not hating on the clips they just can gain more respect from the league through submissiveness; if they leave there ego's at the door. submit and listen to teams like L.A. they could only benefit and reach there full potential.

You want the Clippers to 'submit' to the Lakers? That's ridiculous.

The Heat of last year were eerily similar in potential but because they lacked respect for every team in the league and failed to develop a set of reliable game-plan they became targeted and got demoralized and embarrassed on the biggest stage.

The game-plan thing is what killed them, not the lack of respect. The 2008 Celtics had even more of a lack of respect for everyone than that Heat team, and it gave them a swagger and nastiness that really fueled their run to the title. And trust me, guys like Dirk, Kidd and Marion only had and needed winning a championship in mind when they 'embarassed' (a 6 game series isn't an embarassment, btw) the Heat.

Only thing I took from that video is the dumb Derek Fisher. Whenver a team plays in the same arena as you there will ALWAYS be a rivalry. Even if one team is 0-82 and the other 82-0. It may not be intense but their is always a rivalry.

So I actually watched the video and heard Matt Barnes comments for the first time.

Are those comments really the ones that you have been going off about? The dude gave Griffin props for being a great player, said he is going to be even better in the future, praised his athletic abilities and made one comment about how he thinks he flops too much and doesn't need to given how good he is.

What exactly is wrong with that? Its not like he went out and slammed the guy.

Rumblings of Griffin developing a reputation as a flopper came long before anything that Barnes said. There was talk about it last season and some of his antics this season, especially against the Heat and Wolves on ESPN, have just made it more obvious to people who didn't watch the Clippers last season.

Barnes "whining" has tarnished Griffin's legacy forever? Seriously? :lol:

• Like 2

Only thing I took from that video is the dumb Derek Fisher. Whenver a team plays in the same arena as you there will ALWAYS be a rivalry. Even if one team is 0-82 and the other 82-0. It may not be intense but their is always a rivalry.

^ I kind of agree with you but at the same time, in my opinion great rivalries have to be built over time. Lakers/ Celtics is a true NBA rivalry. I think the Clippers/Lakers can become a rivalry but only after a couple of playoff appearances. I can imagine how pissed off the Lakers players are now that the Clippers are getting more media coverage nationally. The Lakers still may have a strong base in LA but nationally the Clippers brand is definitely booming and blooming.

http://clippers.topbuzz.com/modules/PNphpBB2/images/avatars/upload/8557345244ef0eec15d191.jpg

^ I kind of agree with you but at the same time, in my opinion great rivalries have to be built over time. Lakers/ Celtics is a true NBA rivalry. I think the Clippers/Lakers can become a rivalry but only after a couple of playoff appearances. I can imagine how pissed off the Lakers players are now that the Clippers are getting more media coverage nationally. The Lakers still may have a strong base in LA but nationally the Clippers brand is definitely booming and blooming.

http://clippers.topbuzz.com/modules/PNphpBB2/images/avatars/upload/8557345244ef0eec15d191.jpg

I disagree - This is definitely a true rivalry, and it always has been. Both teams are constantly battling it out for supremacy in LA, but the thing that matters most is that there is no clear cut dominant team between the two. The Clips haven't been remotely good since Sam Cassell was a Clipper, and even then they were still not really close in comparison to the Lakers. Nowadays, one can debate either way about which team is truly best. And fact alone brings the rivalry back to the forefront, and makes it matter again. Not to mention the CP3 drama from the summer.

I disagree - This is definitely a true rivalry, and it always has been. Both teams are constantly battling it out for supremacy in LA, but the thing that matters most is that there is no clear cut dominant team between the two. The Clips haven't been remotely good since Sam Cassell was a Clipper, and even then they were still not really close in comparison to the Lakers. Nowadays, one can debate either way about which team is truly best. And fact alone brings the rivalry back to the forefront, and makes it matter again. Not to mention the CP3 drama from the summer.

Constantly? lol, the Clippers are finally above average for the first time in forever this year. LA has always had the supremacy. It's def. not a true rivalry yet. 2 regular season games dont mean nothing. I hope these two teams meet in the playoffs though..would be a hell of a series.

??

Just because it's one sided rivalry for a long while, doesn't mean that it isn't a true rivalry and the losing team isn't constantly trying to vie for that supremacy.

For example, I live in Ontario and our two hockey teams, ottawa and toronto, are always trying to be the best in the province. Toronto has sucked dick for the past 6-10 years, but it's still a very real rivalry, even though this is the first year in a while that Toronto has a decent record.

Edited by Shark

Its a real rivalry because those two teams have a history. They met each other in the playoffs like 4 times in 5 years in the early 00s, and things got heated as hell. Not to mention the passion Canadian fans have for their local hockey teams.

Lakers - Clippers so called "rivalry" has never existed with the Lakers success and Clippers lack of playoff experience. It cant be called anymore than that until Clippers actually do something...Atleast in my opinion that is.

The way we've been playing each other since Griffin joined the Clippers, it's hard not to say we're not developing a rivalry. Previously, there definitely wasn't much of one because Clips weren't competitive, but UCLA and USC football has a rivalry and look at how UCLA football is.

But it's not much of a rivalry yet. Not what Lakers-Boston is or Yankees-Red sox etc. A little bit of it is there though. It won't be a full rivalry until Kobe points his finger at someone.

(...) But it's not much of a rivalry yet. Not what Lakers-Boston is or Yankees-Red sox etc. A little bit of it is there though. It won't be a full rivalry until Kobe points his finger at someone.

True, true... :lol: That's close to happening.

Edited by Šhãłïq

Class. I'm glad Griffin responded the way he did. Barnes would have loved for Griffin to stoop to his level and add fuel to the fire. I hope Barnes can act more respectable in interviews. Even though he whines a lot, besides affecting Barnes' cred, it does have an effect on the media's perception of Griffin and the Clippers.

Just from what Barnes said (repeatedly), the media and their whole family picked up this non-story about Blake flopping and made it into more than what it is. Seriously, Blake does try to draw charges. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. It particularly worked against Barnes and cost the Lakers some momentum and potentially the game (Barnes should just admit he messed up instead of blaming others - anyway, different story). Blake is learning and will better at knowing when he should attempt to draw and when he needs to lock down on defense. It's a part of the game and any player would be lying if they say they don't try to draw charges and not add in a little acting on top.

Barnes whining has tarnished Blake's reputation forever.

mogi

Post subject: RE: Blake Griffin responds to Matt Barnes about Flopping PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 12:23 PM PST

Clipper Rookie

votes: 1

I'm glad Griffin responded the way he did. Barnes would have loved for Griffin to stoop to his level and add fuel to the fire. I hope Barnes can act more respectable in interviews. Even though he whines a lot, besides affecting Barnes' cred, it does have an effect on the media's perception of Griffin and the Clippers.

Just from what Barnes said (repeatedly), the media and their whole family picked up this non-story about Blake flopping and made it into more than what it is. Seriously, Blake does try to draw charges. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. It particularly worked against Barnes and cost the Lakers some momentum and potentially the game (Barnes should just admit he messed up instead of blaming others - anyway, different story). Blake is learning and will better at knowing when he should attempt to draw and when he needs to lock down on defense. It's a part of the game and any player would be lying if they say they don't try to draw charges and not add in a little acting on top.

Barnes whining has tarnished Blake's reputation forever.

http://clippers.topbuzz.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-p-189789.html#189789

• Like 2

• 6 months later...