Los Angeles eyeing Gilbert Arenas?

The Los Angeles Lakers have expressed interest in Gilbert Arenas, according to sources close to the situation. The 30-year-old is an unrestricted free agent after being amnestied by the Orlando Magic last month. No signing is imminent, but the Lakers have reached out to the veteran point guard.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday-lakers-eyeing-gilbert-arenas

• Owner

He could still be of use. Anything is better then the corpse of Derek Fisher manning the point. Can't imagine him starting trouble around Kobe, Artest, and Fisher though.

He won't start trouble, but I'd rather have Fisher out there with a broken collarbone. Arenas needs the ball in his hands. Fisher knows he's not a scoring option on this team.

The last time Gilbert said he would play team ball and sacrifice his offense (and admitted it was due to his injuries), he lied and shot 16 FGA/G for 39% until the Wizards traded him.

We need a starting PG that can do something with the ball, not another spot-up shooter, or some injury-prone player that's clearly out of his prime (far out of it).

Goudelock would be the better option at the point right now, honestly. Same with Darius Morris.

Plus, Steve Blake will be getting his minutes back when he returns, and he's three times the player Gilbert is.

There's a reason nobody has signed Arenas to a minimum deal yet, despite being waived for over a month now.

Gilbert Arenas could be another scoring threat, though. Artest isn't exactly the same guy he once was, and it isn't like Fisher is racking up the assists either.

That knee injury fake was pretty rough, via my post on how Kobe wouldn't take the crap from him and be down his throat all the time. I bet he'd know Kobe and Pau, probably spent time with them during the AS break one year? I don't know.

You aren't finding that without a trade. You'd need an elite passer, and there's not many around, but maybe an Andre Miller can fit that exact role.

• Owner

Gilbert Arenas could be another scoring threat, though. Artest isn't exactly the same guy he once was, and it isn't like Fisher is racking up the assists either.

That knee injury fake was pretty rough, via my post on how Kobe wouldn't take the crap from him and be down his throat all the time. I bet he'd know Kobe and Pau, probably spent time with them during the AS break one year? I don't know.

You aren't finding that without a trade. You'd need an elite passer, and there's not many around, but maybe an Andre Miller can fit that exact role.

LA's biggest problem is their offense, and they can solve that with two different ways:

1) Drew needs to pass out of the post a lot more. He has to be able to create from the block, especially when he's drawing doubles...but he has no idea how to, never looks to pass, and it's a waste trying to get him to be a 20 PPG scorer if he can't create for others.

2) We need a PG that can facilitate, to take the ball out of Kobe's hands so we can preserve him a bit more. Kobe is STILL the primary option AND the facilitator for this team, and that's a Derrick Rose role that he really shouldn't have, with so much talent surrounding him. Problem is, the Lakers are old, so Ron Artest (who used to be a point-forward) and Steve Blake are not going to run the offense.

Andre Miller would be nice. He doesn't want to drop 30 a night, and he would rather pass the ball.

I'm even open to a JR Smith, who I think could flourish under Kobe and Gasol. He is a decent passer, does a little bit of everything, is athletic and young, can penetrate and create, score the ball, hit shots, even defend.

But Arenas is just a red flag for me. I wouldn't take him for the league minimum, which is sad, because we could waive him at any time, in that case. I just wouldn't want to waste any games trying to figure him out, watch him fail, and see our top 2-3 seed slip away in a shortened season.

People seem to underrate Fisher's game so much that they forget L.A. has arguably the best front-court in the NBA; Artest, Bynum, and Gasol can surely make up for any defensive lapses Fisher has.

Fisher's overall game is a better fit to start on this L.A team but Gilly could be a serviceable 6th man in spurts here an there.

Gilbert Arenas is a hog and a jack-up shooter... Lakers don't need that. They need a point guard that will facilitate their offense by getting the big more involved and setting up smart plays for Kobe and the other wings.

http://www.animalpictures1.com/data/media/76/hog-15.jpg

I don't necessarily want him (rather have someone like JR Smith), but over Arenas? Every day of the week.

i was joking :lol:

as a matter of fact, id rather just give the minutes to goudelock. he has been playing well lately since gaining minutes. honestly dont see a need for gilbert unless the medical staff knows something we dont...

Edited by The Artesticle

• Owner

i was joking :lol:

as a matter of fact, id rather just give the minutes to goudelock. he has been playing well lately since gaining minutes. honestly dont see a need for gilbert unless the medical staff knows something we dont...

Maybe Gilbert will be taking a trip to Germany.

Gilbert Arenas is a hog and a jack-up shooter... Lakers don't need that. They need a point guard that will facilitate their offense by getting the big more involved and setting up smart plays for Kobe and the other wings.

other wings :lol:

With Kobe controlling the ball, Agent Zero's only chance of shooting is with guns he brings in the locker room.

I agree, Gilly is not a good off the ball player so he would not work out on the starting lineup of the lake show but he could be a potential killer sixth man.