Raptors Interested In Wilson Chandler

The Raptors are shopping. They’d like to pick up another draft pick or two, but the real need is at Small Forward. Sources close to the process say the Raptors plan to make life hard on the Denver Nuggets with regards to restricted Wilson Chandler. Wilson is waiting for his clearance from China after dominating in the CBA.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-who-is-available-in-trade

No thanks.

Chandler is a nice role player, but he would not be worth the money it would take to pry him away from the Nuggets as an RFA.

He tends to get overrated due to his play in D'Antoni's system. He wasn't nearly as good after the trade to Denver, and besides, he wasn't that great with New York either (good but nothing to get excited over).

It really would suck if Colangelo went out and broke the bank for Chandler level players. These are the guys you overpay when you are exiting a rebuild and looking to add the complimentary glue guy role players. They aren't the guys you overpay when you are still in the talent adding stage of a rebuild, like the Raptors are.

This offseason scares me, though, and it is because of things like this. I get the feeling that Colangelo is going to go crazy this offseason in an attempt to get back into the playoffs next year. All of the flexibility he created since Bosh left would go to waste if he goes out and overpays for very average players and putting the team back into the treadmill territory.

I disagree he's obv not a max guy but I think he can be worth the money you'd need to get him. The Nuggets already have Gallinari and Chandler didn't play much vs the Thunder. His defense and versatility rebounding and ability to score make him a solid 3 option great 4 option on a team...

Plus he's still only 24

Edited by flsh7718

I disagree he's obv not a max guy but I think he can be worth the money you'd need to get him. The Nuggets already have Gallinari and Chandler didn't play much vs the Thunder. His defense and versatility rebounding and ability to score make him a solid 3 option great 4 option on a team...

Plus he's still only 24

And is that worth a $10M+ contract that it would likely take to get him? It isn't just getting him away from the Nuggets, but making sure that you beat out any other bids from other teams who have cap space. Much like in 2010, teams who miss out on the big free agents are going to overpay for average players. With RFA's like Westbrook, Love and Gallinari already locked up, the free agency pool is shallower than many teams had originally hoped.

A guy like Chandler is sitting pretty waiting for a team to throw huge money at him in the summer.

Don't get me wrong, if the Raptors could get him for $6-8M, I'd be all for it. I just don't see any scenario where he signs for that.

I don't want him. He's alright, but to be honest anything that improves this team and our record is not what we want. Theres no way were going to make the playoffs this year, so whats the point of going for a few more wins other then to hurt or draft lottery chances

If we could get him I'd take him. He fits the mold of our team almost perfectly; great defender, can hit the three,rebound, athletic and he's still very young. Espcially playing with Demar, since I see DD as more as an offense first player, Wilson does complement him pretty nicely. As for our current SF's James Johnson can be his backup and Klieza can be our tweener at the 3 and 4, Klieza is just too inconsistent to be given consistent minutes. The issue may be regarding the upcoming draft which is very forward heavy but IMO I believe Chandler could be just as good as getting a 5th-8th pick SF in the draft, plus we shave off around 2 years of time in development. As for the money, I believe he's one of the only players I'd spend on this off season (other than an all-star, not likely though).

Edited by Pound the Rock

I don't want him. He's alright, but to be honest anything that improves this team and our record is not what we want. Theres no way were going to make the playoffs this year, so whats the point of going for a few more wins other then to hurt or draft lottery chances

I hate this attitude. In theory, yes, you want to get the highest draft pick when you can't make the playoffs, and want to keep as much cap space as possible, but at some point a team needs to get rid of the tanking mindset. It is almost impossible for a team to build through the draft. At some point, you need to bring in talent through FA or else you lose the young talent you do have to other, more attractive markets (and Toronto is one of those cities a lot of NBA players are hesistant to play in to begin with). That is not to say they should overpay for a bunch of average/above average talent, but Toronto is at a crossroads. Many of their promising young guns have been in the league a few years and aren't likely to improve all that much more, and their already developed players (Bargnani, Calderon) are in their prime. They have to figure out what they want. If they feel their core is one that is promising enough to build a good playoff team around, then starting this season and in the offseason they need to bring in talent via FA as well as whatever draft pick(s) they get.

As for Chandler, he'd be a little redundant next to Derozan, especially if he's getting anything above MLE money.

• Like 1

If we could get him I'd take him. He fits the mold of our team almost perfectly; great defender, can hit the three,rebound, athletic and he's still very young. Espcially playing with Demar, since I see DD as more as an offense first player, Wilson does complement him pretty nicely. As for our current SF's James Johnson can be his backup and Klieza can be our tweener at the 3 and 4, Klieza is just too inconsistent to be given consistent minutes. The issue may be regarding the upcoming draft which is very forward heavy but IMO I believe Chandler could be just as good as getting a 5th-8th pick SF in the draft, plus we shave off around 2 years of time in development. As for the money, I believe he's one of the only players I'd spend on this off season (other than an all-star, not likely though).

You make a good argument. If we wait and can get him in the offseason i'd be for it if we don't get Barnes in the draft. Hopefully Forbes/Butler will be gone by then as well.

I hate this attitude. In theory, yes, you want to get the highest draft pick when you can't make the playoffs, and want to keep as much cap space as possible, but at some point a team needs to get rid of the tanking mindset. It is almost impossible for a team to build through the draft. At some point, you need to bring in talent through FA or else you lose the young talent you do have to other, more attractive markets (and Toronto is one of those cities a lot of NBA players are hesistant to play in to begin with). That is not to say they should overpay for a bunch of average/above average talent, but Toronto is at a crossroads. Many of their promising young guns have been in the league a few years and aren't likely to improve all that much more, and their already developed players (Bargnani, Calderon) are in their prime. They have to figure out what they want. If they feel their core is one that is promising enough to build a good playoff team around, then starting this season and in the offseason they need to bring in talent via FA as well as whatever draft pick(s) they get.

As for Chandler, he'd be a little redundant next to Derozan, especially if he's getting anything above MLE money.

I just hate finishing anywhere from 9th-11th place in the conference. It just feels like such a waste to be a mediocre team who doesn't lose to really bad teams but couldn't stand a chance against a real contender. I either want to have a true playoff team, atleast 5 place or so, or be horrible and grab a franchise player in the draft.

Well said, Wilson Chandler is a guy that can easily average 15 ppg and there is no reason why the Raptors wouldn't want him.

Well said, Wilson Chandler is a guy that can easily average 15 ppg and there is no reason why the Raptors wouldn't want him.

Chandler has averaged over 15 ppg in less than 50% of the months since he entered the league. If he is unable to consistently score over 15 ppg from month to month, in a Mike D'Antoni or George Karl fast paced offense, what exactly makes you believe that he could easily average that throughout the course of a season on a Raptor team who plays at a much slower tempo than either of those two systems that he has played in since coming into the league? Even in college he was never a big time scorer.

As for there being no reason why the Raptors wouldn't want him, sure there are. You are delusional if you think otherwise.

Off of the top of my head, here are a few reasons why it doesn't make sense for the Raptors to get him:

1. He will either have to be drastically overpaid in free agency ($10M+) or the Raptors will have to trade a valuable asset in order to acquire him.

2. He has proven throughout his entire career that he is an average player and nothing more. The league average for PER is 15 and he hasn't had a sinle season in his career where he was above, or even at that mark. His career PER is 13.5.

3. He is 24, yeah, but he has shown little development since his sophomore season. In fact, his per 36 numbers have basically stayed constant. He put up nearly identical numbers in his first season as he did last year.

4. As the roster stands, he is pretty redundent. You aren't going to win much when you have a 1-2-3 lineup that features Calderon, DeRozan and Chandler. None of them can effectively create off the bounce. None of them get to the free throw line on a consistent basis. Calderon is the only reliable shooter from distance and also the only one that has any playmaking ability at all.

Chandler does things well. He gives you very good rebounding from the small forward spot, he gives you a versatile defender who can match up with with 2's, 3's and some 4's. He moves well without the ball and has his moments where he gets hot and can drop 25-30 points. Those things are great for a team with an established core who are looking to add that final piece to their playoff puzzle. He would be a fantastic fit with the Lakers, Clippers, Bulls, hell even the Knicks who just traded him. He is that glue guy that teams look to tie everything together.

The Raptors are better off just continuing to develop James Johnson and hope that he becomes their version of Wilson Chandler. They have similar skill sets (Chandler's is more refined, obviously) and are similar players. No sense is overpaying for Chandler when you have a player who, ideally, will give you much of the same things as he would (Chandler more scoring, Johnson more shot blocking).

And that is the plan after this season when the Raptors add another top 7 (ideally a top 3-5, but that may not be possible) pick to the lineup.

They bring that pick, Valanciunas and look to make a splash this summer with their cap space, whether it is through free agency or a trade.

All things go according to plan and they go into the season next year with a lineup of:

C: Valanciunas

PF: Bargnani

SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist/Harrison Barnes

SG: DeRozan

PG: Big offseason acquisition

It isn't likely to happen, but that is what Colangelo is hoping for. He isn't going to continue with the "tanking" (and if you watch Raptor games, they aren't tanking) mindset past this season because he is only on a two year deal with a team option for the 3rd. This is the first year of that deal so knows that if the team doesn't show improvement next season, he is likely out of a job. His plan has been to create flexibility and look to make a splash in 2012 since Bosh left.

And is that worth a $10M+ contract that it would likely take to get him? It isn't just getting him away from the Nuggets, but making sure that you beat out any other bids from other teams who have cap space. Much like in 2010, teams who miss out on the big free agents are going to overpay for average players. With RFA's like Westbrook, Love and Gallinari already locked up, the free agency pool is shallower than many teams had originally hoped.

A guy like Chandler is sitting pretty waiting for a team to throw huge money at him in the summer.

Don't get me wrong, if the Raptors could get him for $6-8M, I'd be all for it. I just don't see any scenario where he signs for that.

Well yeah if you talking 10+ def not, I was honestly thinking you could get him for a similar contract as to what Afflalo, and I think he'd be worth that, especially if Afflalo is...

Well yeah if you talking 10+ def not, I was honestly thinking you could get him for a similar contract as to what Afflalo, and I think he'd be worth that, especially if Afflalo is...

I could be wrong and am overrating what he would be worth in free agency.

I just look at what guys like Thaddeus Young, Arron Afflalo and players like that got and figure it would likely cost at least $1-2M more to make Denver not match. If you want an RFA, you are inevitably going to have to overpay to pry him away from his current team. So his woth is likely somewhere in the $7-8M range but in order to get him away from Denver and ensure that no other team makes a better offer, you are probably looking at something more in the $10-11M range.

I guess another option would be to front load the contract to make it more difficult for the Nuggets. They did do that with Linas Kleiza so Colangelo has shown in the past that it is something he will do.

Now if you are able to work some sort of sign and trade out along the lines of Barbosa for Chandler, who is signed to an $8-$8.5M deal, I'd be fine with that. I'm not against adding a player like Chandler to the Raptors, I'm against overpaying to add a player like Chandler to the Raptors.

This could be a great addition for us. Always was a fan of Chandler who always executes well. He's the kind of Player that could fit in any team. Chandler would bring us better perimeter defense, better three point shooting, drives etc. Man I'd be so happy if we get acquire him

And that is the plan after this season when the Raptors add another top 7 (ideally a top 3-5, but that may not be possible) pick to the lineup.

They bring that pick, Valanciunas and look to make a splash this summer with their cap space, whether it is through free agency or a trade.

All things go according to plan and they go into the season next year with a lineup of:

C: Valanciunas

PF: Bargnani

SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist/Harrison Barnes

SG: DeRozan

PG: Big offseason acquisition

It isn't likely to happen, but that is what Colangelo is hoping for. He isn't going to continue with the "tanking" (and if you watch Raptor games, they aren't tanking) mindset past this season because he is only on a two year deal with a team option for the 3rd. This is the first year of that deal so knows that if the team doesn't show improvement next season, he is likely out of a job. His plan has been to create flexibility and look to make a splash in 2012 since Bosh left.

Exactly this. This team should be EXTREMELY improved going into next season with two top 5 picks joining the team and hopefully another guy through cap space in free agency.

During the 1st quarter of the Wizards game, Colangelo joined the broadcast to talk about some things (mainly his recent trip to watch Valanciunas) but the topic of Wilson Chandler and Andrei Kirilenko came up. It was interesting to hear how he talked about Kirilenko for a good 15-20 seconds but when it came to Chandler, all he said was that they will look into him.

Now his silence in regards to Chandler doesn't necessarily mean he isn't interested in him. It may have been because of him being a Restricted Free Agent and wanting to watch what he says or it may have been him trying to hide his true intentions of being interested in him. I really don't know, but it was interesting seeing him basically completely brush it off like he did, as opposed to him going into detail about Kirilenko.

Even if Raps do get him, he's not goona be playing this season. So why not go after him? Would only make the Raps better for next season, plus with 2 young rookies coming in with Barg and Derozans scoring ability, could have a great team next year.

He can come back and play in March whenever his team is eliminated from the playoffs, so he can big a good guy to have if you make the playoffs...or are in contention.

Could've sworn I read in the offseason he was done for the year, oh well He could'nt make much of a difference if any, could maybe give him some time to figure out how to play with his teammates. I love this guy and I'm all for the Raps going for him!

Could've sworn I read in the offseason he was done for the year, oh well He could'nt make much of a difference if any, could maybe give him some time to figure out how to play with his teammates. I love this guy and I'm all for the Raps going for him!

You probably read about how he was stuck in China for most of the year. He signed with a Chinese team during the lockout and didn't have an out clause, which means he can't come back to the NBA until the season is over, which is around the end of the month.