Chris Bosh or Pau Gasol

TheNotoriousBANG

Gasol or Bosh  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd take Pau. More skilled passer, more skilled in general I think. Not as athletic, but might also be slighter taller, too. Has proven he can do it on the biggest of stages in the playoffs/finals. Gimmie Pau.

Strictly as a 4, give me bosh. if you need him to play minutes at the 5, give me Pau no question about it. Just think Bosh is more dominant in all honesty, despite Pau being more skilled (and bosh is extremely underrated at times).

I still don't get why Bosh's rebounding numbers are so wack.

Edited by Check my Stats

But you gotto look at the players performance in big stage

Gasol played strong D vs Dwight .

Bosh could not stop Dirk in the finals.

...Bosh hit a game winner in the finals and balled out in the ECF.

But you gotto look at the players performance in big stage

Gasol played strong D vs Dwight .

Bosh could not stop Dirk in the finals.

And Gasol couldn't stop Dirk in the Western Semi-Finals, so what exactly does that prove? Why take something that happened 3 seasons ago and make it seem more relevent than something that happened within the last 7 months?

Against Gasol in the playoffs last year Dirk averaged:

25 ppg, 9 rpg and 2.5 apg on 58% shooting and 73% from three

Against Bosh he averaged:

26 ppg, 9.6 rpg and 2 apg on 42% shooting and 38% from three

Looks like he played much better against Gasol than he did against Bosh in the playoffs last year. His numbers against Gasol would likely be even better if not for that game 4 thrashing where he only played 30 minutes as opposed to the usual 38-40 he was playing throughout the playoffs.

Gasol also got completely punked by Garnett in his first ever Finals appearance as well.

As for who I would take, it would be Bosh most of the time. If I need a guy to fill in at the 5 for around 10-15 minutes every night I'd probably lean towards Gasol. If I needed a third wheel I'd probably go with Gasol since he is a much better passer. Other than that, I'm going with Bosh in basically evey other situation. He is younger and a better player. He may not be as skilled as Pau is (although Bosh is plenty skilled) but he is more productive and at the end of the day, give me production over skill.

Both their games are very similar but I have to go with Pau because he knows how to win with the tools that he has but Bosh has not proven he knows how to with his vast skill-set.

+ x + x + x + x + x

Gasol also got completely punked by Garnett in his first ever Finals appearance as well.

Toche', though Gasol ultimately gets the last laugh in this comparison as he has two rings to boot while KG has one.

KG is ultimately the better individual player but Pau is a very efficent team player; comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges...

+ x + x + x + x + x

-

Edited by Art Hues

Pau "knows how to win"? That makes him a better overall basketball player than Chris Bosh? No offense to the Raptors fans...but Bosh was in Toronto before last year and never really had a competitive team put around him. That's a quality that you really cant take into consideration when comparing basketball ability.

Strictly as a 4, give me bosh. if you need him to play minutes at the 5, give me Pau no question about it. Just think Bosh is more dominant in all honesty, despite Pau being more skilled (and bosh is extremely underrated at times).

I still don't get why Bosh's rebounding numbers are so wack.

LeBron, Wade and Haslem are all animals on the boards. They all average about the same (I think Wade averages a little less than the other 3).

Edited by Flash

• Owner

Dirk struggled quite a bit against Haslem in the Finals. I don't recall Bosh doing THAT good against him, although he wasn't bad.

As a primary scoring option, I'd take Chris Bosh. Otherwise, I'll take Pau Gasol. All of that is based on Bosh being willing to put up 20 shots a night if he really needed to, while no matter the situation, Gasol would never accept it, and his lack of aggressive scoring has been a problem for the Lakers for a while now.

I'm assuming this is for one season, also...not really fair if we're talking about a five-year deal, since Gasol is up there in age.

I would take Bosh because of his offensive mindset, when he is actually needed to score he can be counted on. Unlike Pau who really cant be counted on to do much of anything when necessary. Bosh this year also has been a beast with Wade being hurt, If Kobe were to go down Pau wouldn't know what to do.

And Gasol couldn't stop Dirk in the Western Semi-Finals, so what exactly does that prove? Why take something that happened 3 seasons ago and make it seem more relevent than something that happened within the last 7 months?

Against Gasol in the playoffs last year Dirk averaged:

25 ppg, 9 rpg and 2.5 apg on 58% shooting and 73% from three

Against Bosh he averaged:

26 ppg, 9.6 rpg and 2 apg on 42% shooting and 38% from three

Dirk was guarded by Joel Anthony and Udonis Haslem most of that series.

No one gets punked by KG more than Bosh. KG locked him up pretty much every game last season, including the playoffs, and that was a way past his prime KG.

-------------------------------------

Anyway, who I'd take completely depends on what I am asking that player to do. If I need a 2nd option who is playing off a 1st option that draws and collapses defenses, give me Bosh. He's got an incredible midrange jumper, good at making cuts to the basket off the PnR, and can also be deadly in faceup situations. If I need a 2nd option who is playing off a 1st option who does most of his work on the perimeter and who needs a big man that can attract defenses near the paint, give me Gasol. He's a terrific post player who can score around the basket, make great passes out of the post, can collect offensive rebounds with his size, and can also be effective in faceup and spot-up situations. If I need a first option scoring the ball, give me Bosh because he's more aggressive. If I need a first option to run an offense through, give me Gasol because he facilitates offense for his teammates better.

Overall, Gasol is probably the better player, although he's most effective as a C, while Bosh is more effective at PF. It's really like comparing apples and oranges. However, when you put Gasol at C, his size can make him a decent anchor defensively, he's a very good post scorer when he's zoned in, he is effective facing up at the C position, he's a terrific passer that you can successfully play through, and he's a better rebounder than Bosh. Meanwhile, the main issue with Bosh is that he doesn't create a ton of easy attempts for himself, and if you crowd him offensively, he gets frustrated. And if he isn't scoring, he doesn't offer much offensively. Defensively, he's gotten a ton better with his rotations, is effective in PnR situations, and his length can bother some PF's jumpers. I like his versatility there, but if you put Gasol at C where he is more suited, he is more impactful because his size and length alters more shots over the course of a game.

Really though, it is an extremely close comparison, and it's all a matter of what you need on your team.

Dirk was guarded by Joel Anthony and Udonis Haslem most of that series.

I realize that, but Bosh did guard him for stretches as well and was the primary help defender in that series since Chandler isn't a real big threat offensively.

It was still just more of a point to prove how pathetic it was to use Gasol playing solid defense against Howard (which, Bynum was just as big of a part as) 3 years ago was pointless.

No one gets punked by KG more than Bosh. KG locked him up pretty much every game last season, including the playoffs, and that was a way past his prime KG.

And yet again, just proving a point of how Gasol was garbage in his first ever Finals appearance. He was worse than Bosh was in his first ever Finals but he completely overlooked that fact.

Bosh has had his fair share of good games against Garnett as well. To say that he gets constantly punked by KG is a flat out lie.

He has scored over 20 points in 5 of their head-to-head regular season matchups and was 18 or more in another 4 and also reached 17 two times. If you take out the two games they played when Bosh was 19 or 20 years old (wher he played 19 minutes in one of the games), that is 50% of the time he scored almost 20 on KG.

He has put up 11 double doubles on KG, which is 1 less than KG has against him.

6 games over 60% shooting (Garnett has 7, one of which he only took 6 shots in) plus another 5 where he was over 50% (Garnett had 5 as well).

The playoffs he got outplayed in pretty much one game. Garnett's 28/18 game grossly inflates his numbers since 5 games is such a small sample size. Take that game away and KG's averages against Bosh in the playoffs last year were 11/8.8 on 32.4% shooting. Take away Bosh's 20/12 game and he averaged 11/9.8 on 35.3% shooting. Not good by any means, but he still outplayed KG.

Bosh and Gasol's career numbers against KG are basically identical. The only difference is one playoff series that increased Pau's averages against him. If the Celtics and Heat face each other this year in the playoffs, I guarantee that Bosh's numbers improve just like Pau's did.

Bosh has had his fair share of good games against Garnett as well. To say that he gets constantly punked by KG is a flat out lie.

He has scored over 20 points in 5 of their head-to-head regular season matchups and was 18 or more in another 4 and also reached 17 two times. If you take out the two games they played when Bosh was 19 or 20 years old (wher he played 19 minutes in one of the games), that is 50% of the time he scored almost 20 on KG.

He has put up 11 double doubles on KG, which is 1 less than KG has against him.

6 games over 60% shooting (Garnett has 7, one of which he only took 6 shots in) plus another 5 where he was over 50% (Garnett had 5 as well).

The playoffs he got outplayed in pretty much one game. Garnett's 28/18 game grossly inflates his numbers since 5 games is such a small sample size. Take that game away and KG's averages against Bosh in the playoffs last year were 11/8.8 on 32.4% shooting. Take away Bosh's 20/12 game and he averaged 11/9.8 on 35.3% shooting. Not good by any means, but he still outplayed KG.

Bosh and Gasol's career numbers against KG are basically identical. The only difference is one playoff series that increased Pau's averages against him. If the Celtics and Heat face each other this year in the playoffs, I guarantee that Bosh's numbers improve just like Pau's did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqCMN8dVAU

I see that kind of shit so much when they are faced one-on-one. I was strictly talking about how Bosh usually curls up on offense when KG is defending him. Going by the eye test, KG has almost always overwhlemed Bosh defensively when I've seen them matched up, from Bosh's Toronto days to Miami. I watched every second of each Miami-Boston game last season, and most of Bosh's numbers came with Big Baby on him. KG always crowded him and forced him out of his comfort zone and into a tough fadeaway jumper. Only a very few number of times did Bosh take it to the rim, which is what he should have done nearly every time, and is what guys like Amare eventually caught up to when KG defends him (specifically how KG usually lets you go baseline). I've rarely seen a star player get locked up in one-on-one situations like KG does to Bosh.

Fair enough.

I do fully admit that when Bosh plays bad against Garnett, he looks really bad and things like that are an example of it.

His overall play against Garnett throughout his career has been vastly overblown because of incidents like that, though. He really hasn't played as poorly against KG as many people make it seem.