Plan B: Ramon Sessions?

NomarFachix

Ramon Sessions?

Mike D’Antoni didn’t dismiss that possibility of upgrading the roster, with the team linked to free agent Kenyon Martin and in the past having pursued Cavs point guard Sessions, whose being shopped.

Sessions, who played under Dan D’Antoni in South Carolina’s AAU program, has long been a target of the Knicks. Ex-president Donnie Walsh nearly signed him in the summer of 2009 but elected against it when he feared it would take too much of their cap space for 2010.

Sessions has a year left on his pact and the Cavs are looking to clear cap space. The Knicks are starting to realize the iffy proposition that is Baron Davis, who has been too sore to practice with contact this week and his debut is up in the air, with the Knicks coaching saying next week at the earliest.

http://nyp.st/x42zsY

Sessions would be a nice upgrade but honestly I wouldn't mind taking Nash as a rental if I were the Knicks. I would try to work out some kind of a 3 or 4 team deal to get Nash I honestly think he would be the missing piece to this team along with a better bench.

Edited by htownborn

Sessions would be a nice upgrade but honestly I wouldn't mind taking Nash as a rental if I were the Knicks. I would try to work out some kind of a 3 or 4 team deal to get Nash I honestly think he would be the missing piece to this team along with a better bench.

The issue is the Melo/Amare/Chandler core is relatively young, in their primes and have longterm money invested in them. Nash is what, 38? I think he'd be a great pickup as fair-priced pickup in the offseason, but I'd be weary of trading for him. And he certainly shouldn't be counted on as the 'missing piece'...not at his age, and not with this being a 3-5 year project.

Anyway, Sessions is a solid PG, but far from a player that will turn this boat around. On a team with Melo and Amare, you need a PG that can knock down the 3 at a consistent clip, and Sessions doesn't do that. He will setup the offense and help get guys like Amare easier looks, but without a 3pt shot, great defense and superb athleticism, his impact wouldn't be too high. Would be a great PG off the bench for them, though.