BFT's 2012 Mock Draft V1

Built Ford Tough

I'm not going to go into super detail since it is way too early but I figured I'd throw a rough one out now, another when conference tournaments are over, another after the NCAA tournament is over, another after the lottery and another after pre draft workouts.

NOTE: Picks are based on current standings and does take team need into consideration. Lottery picks will be the only ones with explainations. Picks after the lottery is more of a BPA situation and doesn't take team need into account as much, but doesn't completely ignore it either. It is also even more of a crapshoot than the lottery.

1. Charlotte Bobcats: PF Anthony Davis, Kentucky, Freshman

Davis has seperated himself from the rest of the pack and is looking like the sure fire bet to go number 1. His combination of length, athleticism, defensive ability and an uncanny motor makes him the clear cut choice, regardless of who is picking first overall.

2. Washington Wizards: SF Harrison Barnes, North Carolina, Sophomore

You could make the argument that Andre Drummond would be the better selection but with so many talented players with questionable desire, work ethic and basketball IQ already on the roster, it makes sense for Washington to pick the high character, hard working Barnes. Barnes will give John Wall the running mate he so desperately needs, gives the Wizards a long term solution at the 3 and slides in nicely as the 2nd option.

3. New Orleans Hornets: C/PF Andre Drummond, Conneticut, Freshman

Drummond has said he intends on returning for another season but the lure of being a top 3 pick may prove to be too much for him. The Hornets just need a general infusion of talent and Drummond may have the highest ceiling of anybody in the draft. With them having another mid first/late lottery selection in the Wolves pick, look for them to swing for the fences early and look to get a more sure thing with their 2nd pick.

4. Detroit Pistons: PF Thomas Robinson, Kansas, Junior

With Greg Monroe proving to be their 5 of the future, look for Detroit to take a power forward to pair up with Monroe for the future. The options are Robinson, Baylor's Perry Jones III and Ohio State's Jared Sullinger. Jones has the highest ceiling of the three, Sullinger the most refined and Robinson the highest motor and best all around. Pairing Monroe and Sullinger isn't ideal as their games could conflict, Jones' lack of assertiveness on the defensive end could prove to be a poor fit so look for the Pistons to take the all around Robinson. He compliments Monroe the best and will do all of the little things to take pressure off of Monroe.

5. New Jersey Nets: SF Michael-Kidd Gilchrist, Kentucky, Freshman

With the hopes of Dwight Howard joining Deron Williams in Brooklyn next season, the Nets will take the ideal glue guy that all championship teams need. other than shooting, Kidd-Gilchrist does everything well. He is an elite defender, a great rebounder, good passer, runs the court, has a motor rivaled only by his Kentucky teammate Davis and will be the perfect compliment to a star studded duo in Williams and Howard. If the Nets feel they have no chance of landing Howard, look for them to swing for the fences and take a chance on the sky high potential of Perry Jones.

6. Toronto Raptors: PF Perry Jones III, Baylor, Sophomore

Although not an ideal fit for a team with Andrea Bargnani at the 4 and Jonas Valanciunas coming over to play the 5, Jones is the type of prospect that Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo has made a career off of taking. A raw, athletic, high potential, mismatch player. The ideal scenario here would be for the Raptors to develop Jones as a small forward and pair him up with the two aforementioned big men. With coach Dwane Casey playing a lot of zone defense, it could mask potential defensive problems. If playing him at the 3 proves to be out of the cards, the Raptors will have a decision to make. His potential at this point in the draft is too much to pass up, especially for a team lacking in any real high end talent.

7. Sacramento Kings: SG Jeremy Lamb, Conneticut, Sophomore

With so many ball dominant players in Tyreke Evans, Marcus Thornton and DeMarcus Cousins on the roster, Lamb's ability to move without the ball will be a welcome addition. That isn't to say that he is incapable of creating his own shot because he does have a solid handle but the best part of his offensive game is utilizing screens like a fellow UCONN alum, Rip Hamilton. With his length, he has the potential to be a nightmare in the passing lanes and when he adds strength, as an on ball defender as well.

8. Houston Rockets (From New York Knicks): SG Bradley Beal, Florida, Freshman

Although Jared Sullinger is likely the best player available at this point, the Rockets have a solid grouping of bigs with Luis Scola, Patrick Patterson, Samuel Dalembert and Donatas Motiejunas stashed overseas. Meanwhile, they have little depth behind Kevin Martin at the two. Beal gives them a fantastic shooter, one of the best rebounding guards in all of college basketball, a guy who has proven to be good off the ball and a solid defender.

9. Utah Jazz (From Golden State Warriors): SF Quincy Miller, Baylor, Freshman

Much like the Rockets, the Jazz are very deep at the 4 and 5 with Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap the present, and Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter as the future. Gordon Hayward has the ability to slide over to the 2 to make room for Miller. Miller suffered a serious knee injury his senior year of high school and is still suffering the effects of it. He doesn't have the explosiveness that he once had, and that is a bit of a concern considering he was never very explosive to being with. Still, he is an excellent shooter, can create his own shot and has great length at the three. If he is able to fully recover, he could end up as one of the best players in this class.

10. Phoenix Suns: PF Jared Sullinger, Ohio State, Sophomore

The most dominant big man in the country. Sullinger has a vast offensive arsenal in the low post and with the Suns entering into the twilight of the Steve Nash years, they need to take the best talent available and look towards the future. That is Sullinger. He has question marks about his size, his below the rim game and defensively, but he can score the ball and is a great rebounder. He is the type of prospect that always seems to fall during the draft, put proves to be a very good player in the pros, showing that you don't need to be an athletic freak to be an effective player.

11. Cleveland Cavaliers: C Meyers Leonard, Illionis, Sophomore

Leonard has the size, skill and athleticism that scouts drool over. Cleveland came away with Kyrie Irving last season, solidifying their point guard of the future, as well as getting an excellent energy big in Tristan Thompson. With Leonard, they take a risk on a skilled big man who may end up never living up to his potential. With the lack of quality wings at this point, the Cavs might as well roll the dice on the talented big.

12. Memphis Grizzlies: SF Terrence Ross, Washington, Sophomore

The Grizzlies have an excellent starting lineup, a great sixth man in OJ Mayo and, when healthy, a nice rotation of bigs. However, they don't have a lot behind Mike Conley at the point or Rudy Gay at the 3. There really aren't any point guards worth reaching for at this point in the draft, Ross is the pick. He has nice size, skill and athleticism and playing behind Gay, a player who has a similar body type and athletic ability, would be great for a player like Ross.

13. New Orleans Hornets: C Tyler Zeller, North Carolina, Senior

As mentioned earlier, look for the Hornets to take more of a sure thing with this pick after taking a chance on a high potential player like Drummond. Zeller is a good low post scorer, good rebounder and plays the game hard. He doesn't have any out of this world attributes that will blow you away and limits his potential, but he will be a solid rotational big in this league, much like a former Tar Heel alum, Tyler Hansbrough.

14. Houston Rockets: PF/C Patric Young, Florida, Sophomore

Despite what was said earlier about the Rockets already having solid big men depth, at this point, they will just go with the best player available and that is Young. Young is a handful down low with his wide shoulders and excellent strength. He doesn't have a lot of offensive skill, but he can finish around the rim, has a solid right handed hook and establishes deep post position. He also does a nice job of setting hard screens. Defensively he has good instincts, his strength is a huge benefit on the glass and doesn't back down from anybody.

15. Milwaukee Bucks: C Cody Zeller, Indiana, Sophomore

16. Dallas Mavericks: PG Kendall Marshall, North Carolina, Sophomore

17. Boston Celtics: PF John Henson, North Carolina, Junior

18. Portland Trailblazers: PG Tony Wroten Jr, Washington, Freshman

19. Los Angeles Lakers: SF/PF Terrence Jones, Kentucky, Sophomore

20. Utah Jazz: PG Myck Kabongo, Texas, Freshman

21. Denver Nuggets: PF/C Arnett Moultrie, Mississppi State, Junior

22. Orlando Magic: SG Austin Rivers, Duke, Freshman

23. San Antonio Spurs: SG/SF Evan Fournier, International

24. Atlanta Hawks: PF Mason Plumlee, Duke, Junior

25. Los Angeles Clippers: SF Jeff Taylor, Vanderbilt, Senior

26. Indiana Pacers: PG Damian Lillard, Weber State, Junior

27. Philadelphia 76ers: SG Doron Lamb, Kentucky, Sophomore

28. Miami Heat: C: Augusto Cesar Lima, International

29. Chicago Bulls: Dion Waiters, Syracuse, Sophomore

30. Oklahoma City Thunder: Kris Joseph, Syracuse, Senior

Thoughts and comments are appreciated. Like I said above, this is more of a rough guesstimate than anything else and I obviously don't expect the draft to look like this. I know that there are some prospects I am completely off on.

• Like 4

I think you made some solid picks. I don't really know much about these guys except for what I've read on websites and watching highlight reels for most of them. For the Raptors pick, i'm not a huge fan of Perry Jones, but he is an alright player. I don't see them picking him over Sullinger though. Him being a dominant post player offensively is just what the Raptors need. You never know though, Jones is definitely a good player with great potential. I`ll be able to expand more about these guys after March Madness where I usually learn everything I need to know about the top guys.

I highly doubt they show any interest in Sullinger, given Colangelo's track record. Maybe if they end up with the 10th pick or something, but not with a top 7.

I'm about 95% sure that Toronto would draft anyone of:

Davis

Drummond

Barnes

MKG

Lamb

Beal

Robinson

over Sullinger. And I highly doubt that they end up picking any lower than 7th.

It has nothing to do with Sullinger as a player, but he really doesn't fit in with this team. Jones isn't an ideal fit either, but at least he has perimeter skills and could be played at the 3 during times.

Just look at Colangelo's track record in the draft and it makes sense why he would be after Jones.

Took Amar'e as a raw, high school big.

Took the raw, athletic Marion.

Took Bargnani and his mismtach ability and high potential.

Took DeRozan for his athletic ability.

Even Ed Davis falls more towards the Jones catagory than Sullinger.

I could be wrong, though. I just don't see much interest at all in Sullinger from Toronto.

I highly doubt they show any interest in Sullinger, given Colangelo's track record. Maybe if they end up with the 10th pick or something, but not with a top 7.

I'm about 95% sure that Toronto would draft anyone of:

Davis

Drummond

Barnes

MKG

Lamb

Beal

Robinson

over Sullinger. And I highly doubt that they end up picking any lower than 7th.

It has nothing to do with Sullinger as a player, but he really doesn't fit in with this team. Jones isn't an ideal fit either, but at least he has perimeter skills and could be played at the 3 during times.

Just look at Colangelo's track record in the draft and it makes sense why he would be after Jones.

Took Amar'e as a raw, high school big.

Took the raw, athletic Marion.

Took Bargnani and his mismtach ability and high potential.

Took DeRozan for his athletic ability.

Even Ed Davis falls more towards the Jones catagory than Sullinger.

I could be wrong, though. I just don't see much interest at all in Sullinger from Toronto.

I should have said who I believe the Raptors should draft, not who I think Colangelo will draft.

Not March Madness or the combine yet so I'm a bit ignorant on the prospects outside of your top 7 picks plus Sullinger.

I'm not sure how to feel about Beal. We already have Kevin Martin starting and Courtney Lee could be a starter on several NBA teams and will be a free agent this offseason, will the Rockets let him walk? No clue but if he does then taking a shooting guard like Bradley Beal might be the way to go. Draftexpress has him listed as 6'4 and I have never been a big fan of undersized guards, but you do mention that he is one of the best rebounding guards in the college game. Does this imply that he plays big and that his size won't be much of an issue at the professional? And how much of a disparity is there between him and Jeremy Lamb?

Personally I would take Sullinger with the 8th pick, too good of a player to pass up even with our roster situation although there is a good chance that Scola might be an amnesty candidate (if Houston goes through with their max contract plan).

I have no idea whatsoever on what I would do with the 14th pick, the bulk of the talent is already gone by then and there doesn't appear to be any prospect worth taking with a lottery pick (at least right now). I don't know much about Young but him being a 6'9 tweener doesn't endear him to me. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Cody Zeller at this point.

Draftexpress has him listed as 6'4 and I have never been a big fan of undersized guards, but you do mention that he is one of the best rebounding guards in the college game. Does this imply that he plays big and that his size won't be much of an issue at the professional?

Pretty much.

He is only around 6'4 (some have said he is 6'5 or so) but he is strong as hell and weighs around 210 pounds so even though his height isn't perfect, he is more than strong enough to make up for it. He has a 6'7 wingspan as well, which isn't huge or anything but average by shooting guard standards. Eric Gordon pretty much has the exact same build (measured out at 6'3, 215 and a 6'9 wingspan at the combine) and he has had no problems playing the 2 in the NBA. I don't see Beal having any problems playing the 2 at the next level either.

And how much of a disparity is there between him and Jeremy Lamb?

Basically none at all. It really is a toss up for me.

Lamb is a better at creating off the dribble, uses screens better and is a better help defender.

Beal is a better shooter, rebounder and is a better man defender.

The thing is, Lamb is given more of a creating role in his teams offense while Beal is used more as a shooter because Boynton and Walker handle the ball a lot. Beal is actually playing at the 3 in their offense so it is tough to gauge just how good he is at creating off the bounce.

It really is all about team needs more than anything. They are very similar prospects that, in my opinion, project to have comparable careers. They both just bring a little different skillset to the table but have a similar impact.

Personally I would take Sullinger with the 8th pick, too good of a player to pass up even with our roster situation although there is a good chance that Scola might be an amnesty candidate (if Houston goes through with their max contract plan).

I had Sullinger their orignally, but I figured Beal made more sense because the BPA with the Rockets 2nd pick, assuming it stays in the 13-16 range is likely going to be a big man. Whether it is Young, one of the Zeller's or Henson, maybe even Terrence Jones. I'm also not as high on Sullinger as some (although I do think he will be a productive big), and am personally quite fond of Beal.

I just think with the great big depth in this draft and the lack of wings and points, going with Beal early and a big later made more sense.

I have no idea whatsoever on what I would do with the 14th pick, the bulk of the talent is already gone by then and there doesn't appear to be any prospect worth taking with a lottery pick (at least right now). I don't know much about Young but him being a 6'9 tweener doesn't endear him to me. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Cody Zeller at this point.

I figured with Motiejunas likely projecting as the 4 of the future, a more physical, rugged player like Young would make more sense than a finese big like Zeller. That isn't to say Zeller can't bang because he can, but Young is much more of a banger down low and would compliment Motiejunas better, which is why I went with him over Cody.

Love the Washington pick, I'm actually hoping we land the third pick in the draft just so Ernie isn't forced to take Davis or Drummond. Not that I don't like them, I'm just tired of bringing in projects.

I'm not a huge fan of the New Jersey pick, assuming Dwight Howard ends up there. Kidd Gilchrist will be too much of a liability on the offensive end to have a top 5 pick worthy impact on the Nets. His jumpshot is inconsistent to say the least, and he relies heavily on athleticism and pure strength to beat defenders, that won't work at the next level. On a team with Dwight, you gotta be able to shoot, or at the very least, put the ball on the floor, Gilchrist has none of that. I think Perry Jones would be an ideal pick for them.

Love the Washington pick, I'm actually hoping we land the third pick in the draft just so Ernie isn't forced to take Davis or Drummond. Not that I don't like them, I'm just tired of bringing in projects.

I'm not a huge fan of the New Jersey pick, assuming Dwight Howard ends up there. Kidd Gilchrist will be too much of a liability on the offensive end to have a top 5 pick worthy impact on the Nets. His jumpshot is inconsistent to say the least, and he relies heavily on athleticism and pure strength to beat defenders, that won't work at the next level. On a team with Dwight, you gotta be able to shoot, or at the very least, put the ball on the floor, Gilchrist has none of that. I think Perry Jones would be an ideal pick for them.

Gilchrist can definitely put the ball on the floor. He doesn't have a large repertoire of ball moves, but he isn't incapable of doing it either. I'm sure he will have some growing pains to start his career off, but I don't see him being incapable of doing it for much more than his first year or two in the league, if that.

His shot is a concern but with the drastic improvements that he has made on it in the past two seasons (he couldn't shoot at all going into his senior year in high school) make me think he could develop a serviceable jumper. He is never going to be Ray Allen out there but I could see him developing into a 30% shooter or so from deep.

With players like Deron, Morrow and Brooks already on the roster, I think you could get by with not having a good shooter at the 3.

What made me go with MKG for the Nets was that he has proven to be so effective and impactful playing with Anthony Davis this season. Anthony Davis' role on this Kentucky team is very similar to how Dwight plays in the NBA and Gilchrist has proven to be a great compliment to Davis. He is an excellent passer who is very adept at throwing lobs, moves well without the ball, doesn't force his game and knows when he needs to get the ball into the post. Defensively, having an elite perimeter defender and an elite post defender would be an absolute nightmare for opposing teams, just like it is for the college teams Kentucky plays.

I understand where you are coming from and your concerns are valid, but I think that MKG will develop a reliable enough outside shot to keep defenses honest and everything else about his game screams perfect 3rd option. I figure if MKG reaches his potential, he is going to be an Iguodala clone and I would kill for the chance to form a trio of Deron Williams-Andre Iguodala-Dwight Howard.