Anthony Davis / Marcus Camby

Need4Sheed

Not sure if any of you remember Camby at UMASS but Anthony Davis reminds me of him so much.

Their skillsets and presence are so similar IMO.

Another resemblance is their physcial appearances, both 6'10ish and around 225lbs.

I remember when growing up and learning to play Camby was one of the guys I always tried to base my play on the court around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDczrScBuvA

Davis is a great rebounder in college because there's not many players in the country that can rival his elite wingspan. However in the NBA he's going to be forced to box out more and create space to grab rebounds rather than just using his length. Defensively, both are very similar, Davis' instincts are more advanced than I anticipated coming out of high school.

The difference is that Davis is impacting the game the same way that Camby did as a freshman, where as Camby was doing it as a sophomore/Junior.

Davis is putting up 14/10/5 on 66% shooting as a freshman on probably the most stacked team in the country, a team that will likely end up with 5 or 6 NBA players. Camby put up 10/6/3.5 on 49.5% shooting as a freshman.

As a Junior Camby put up 20.5/8/4 as a Junior on 47% shooting, but he also took nearly 17 shots a game. Davis takes 8. You could argue that Davis is having just as good of a season as a freshman as Camby did as a junior, which is what makes Davis' season so impressive.

I do agree with you about the comparision, though. They are similar and I do see a lot of Camby in Davis. I think that Davis is more gifted offensively than Camby and do think that he will end up with a better career than Camby. I see Camby as more of Davis' floor than his ceiling.

Actually, take a rookie Camby's offensive game and a prime Camby's defensive game and I think you have a pretty accurate projection of Davis, although a bit better offensively. I can see Davis as an 18/11/3 type of player in the NBA.