Building a Team: Strengths or Weaknesses?

Mentch

In other words, when you're building a team do you build off of a strength or do you try to fill the hole that your roster already has? Building off of a strength can create tremendous depth at that position but filling weaknesses can end up being the last pieces to the puzzle

An example of building off of a strength would be the Timberwolves. They already had Michael Beasley, the small forward who was the 2nd overall pick in 2008 behind Derrick Rose and came to Minnesota in a trade with Miami. However, they decided to select Derrick Williams with the 2nd overall pick in the 2011 draft, making the small forward an area of strength on the Wolves. They don't have to worry about the position for a long time because they are set there

However, sometimes building to a strength leaves other areas to fend for themselves, you could focus on acquiring enough depth at position that you completely lose track of the supporting cast. What I would do is make sure every position is set for the time, as long as its in decent shape then your team should be good for the season. The 2006-07 Celtics had the greatest turnaround in NBA History when they acquired superstars at the shooting guard and power forward positions, something they had lacked during the previous season's 24-58 campaign. During the offseason, they acquired Ray Allen in a draft day trade from Seattle and made a deal for Kevin Garnett. This new supporting cast around Paul Pierce helped the Celtics win 42 more games than the previous year, and after finishing 66-16 in 2007-08, they went on to win the Finals

So that's what I would do in this situation. I would try to fill all of my holes for the time and then go after depth. I'll admit though, if the Wolves had that type of depth at every position, they'd be a championship contender no doubt