Houston @ Golden State

• 2 months later...
  • Owner

Houston looked decent for a while against the Blazers, but the full 48 minutes wore them down completely. There's no scoring threat other than Brooks and Ariza, and their defense comes from Battier and Hayes, while Ariza isn't the greatest man defender (he's an excellent help defender, plays the passing lanes very well). Thing is, neither of those defenders will be able to slip down to defend Ellis and Curry, who should have big games in Golden State's home debut in Oakland.

So the defensive load will shift to Ariza, which will trash him before the first half. Since this is on a back-to-back, two road games, I can't fathom Trevor hanging in there for another 35-40.

Nelson needs to tell his backcourt to attack at will, wear down Houston, and don't be concerned too much about interior scoring. If Maggette does start, it won't be that big of an issue against a small Rockets team.

The Warriors should win this game, and it could be worse for Houston than it was last night.

• Like 1

Houston looked decent for a while against the Blazers, but the full 48 minutes wore them down completely. There's no scoring threat other than Brooks and Ariza, and their defense comes from Battier and Hayes, while Ariza isn't the greatest man defender (he's an excellent help defender, plays the passing lanes very well). Thing is, neither of those defenders will be able to slip down to defend Ellis and Curry, who should have big games in Golden State's home debut in Oakland.

So the defensive load will shift to Ariza, which will trash him before the first half. Since this is on a back-to-back, two road games, I can't fathom Trevor hanging in there for another 35-40.

Nelson needs to tell his backcourt to attack at will, wear down Houston, and don't be concerned too much about interior scoring. If Maggette does start, it won't be that big of an issue against a small Rockets team.

The Warriors should win this game, and it could be worse for Houston than it was last night.

I don't see us winning this game either. Too many offensive weapons for the Warriors, Scola still hurting out there, and Brooks and Landry can't carry the load. This team relies too much on the energy from the home crowd to win, and a back to back road game doesn't make it any better. We have a chance to win this but only if the scoreboard is in the 80s or below.

Rockets need to look for Ariza more often, he had 9 points in the first quarter last night but then disappeared from the game. I liked what I saw when we got Trevor the ball early on. He should be more aggressive tonight and move around a lot more.

Dont agree with the first paragraph, you obviously were watching the Lakers game though so I understand, the Rockets were the ones who took advantage of the Blazers tiredness, we cut the lead to 6 with 2 minutes to go and played great defense, hit a ton of buckets durin that stretch to cut the lead that fast while they still had guys like Brandon Roy, Aldridge in. Ariza also had more of a defensive load yesterday guarding Brandon Roy but guarding Stephen Curry will be easier considering that he is a jumpshooter, and Ariza is known for his good perimeter defense. I think we have the win here tonight.

• Owner

Dont agree with the first paragraph, you obviously were watching the Lakers game though so I understand, the Rockets were the ones who took advantage of the Blazers tiredness, we cut the lead to 6 with 2 minutes to go and played great defense, hit a ton of buckets durin that stretch to cut the lead that fast while they still had guys like Brandon Roy, Aldridge in. Ariza also had more of a defensive load yesterday guarding Brandon Roy but guarding Stephen Curry will be easier considering that he is a jumpshooter, and Ariza is known for his good perimeter defense. I think we have the win here tonight.

LOL, I watched the Blazers/Rockets game the next morning. Houston was dragging their feet. If they weren't so tired, they would've probably pulled out a win, but Scola just wasn't there for them, and when he's not "on the floor" as a contributing force, the Rockets don't benefit from his pick and rolls, and they struggle to create on their own.

Things changed in this game, though. I was under the impression that Scola was still hurt (someone said he still had a week to go or something). I guess that wasn't the case. Having Scola inside opened up a LOT for the Rockets, especially Ariza and Brooks, two guys that will, without a doubt, take advantage of their big man presence.

Maggette is a failure at life, by the way.

LOL, I watched the Blazers/Rockets game the next morning. Houston was dragging their feet. If they weren't so tired, they would've probably pulled out a win, but Scola just wasn't there for them, and when he's not "on the floor" as a contributing force, the Rockets don't benefit from his pick and rolls, and they struggle to create on their own.

Things changed in this game, though. I was under the impression that Scola was still hurt (someone said he still had a week to go or something). I guess that wasn't the case. Having Scola inside opened up a LOT for the Rockets, especially Ariza and Brooks, two guys that will, without a doubt, take advantage of their big man presence.

Maggette is a failure at life, by the way.

Scola was hurt and missed pre-season games, he had a rocky 1st game yeah, but he improved in this game.

• Owner

Damn, Ariza is about to surpass his career high in only his second game.

Oh wait, I thought he couldn't be a first option...

The offense is running through Scola. Ariza plays off of him just as he did with Kobe and Gasol.

If Scola gets hurt and misses a ton of games (knock on wood, sorry Houston fans), you'll see what I'm talking about. Ariza can score the ball, but he won't be winning games leading the offense. Ten turnovers in his first two games, 3-8 shooting against the Blazers when Scola was pretty much down and out. I'm not sure how much more you really have to know about the guy, in LA, New York or Orlando, to know he can't create for anyone and that he has to play off of a post player, or an elite guard.

• Owner

Scola was hurt and missed pre-season games, he had a rocky 1st game yeah, but he improved in this game.

I know. What I was saying was that I read somewhere (here or on RealGM, maybe) that he was going to be playing like he did in Portland for at least a couple more games, that the injury wasn't completely healed up.

Looks like he's completely healed.

I know. What I was saying was that I read somewhere (here or on RealGM, maybe) that he was going to be playing like he did in Portland for at least a couple more games, that the injury wasn't completely healed up.

Looks like he's completely healed.

Its Scola, hes a beast. Hasnt missed a game yet in regular season or playoff. *Knock on wood*

Well I guess I was wrong. However, I'm not that impressed. It took 16 points and 12 assists from Brooks, 20/10 night from Scola and 25 points and an all around night from Ariza to beat the Warriors by a measly point. Defense wasn't too hot either, the wings were pounding us bad. Chuck Hayes is a genius defender but with no size down low, we're going to have a hard time keeping opponents out.

If Scola gets hurt and misses a ton of games (knock on wood, sorry Houston fans), you'll see what I'm talking about. Ariza can score the ball, but he won't be winning games leading the offense. Ten turnovers in his first two games, 3-8 shooting against the Blazers when Scola was pretty much down and out. I'm not sure how much more you really have to know about the guy, in LA, New York or Orlando, to know he can't create for anyone and that he has to play off of a post player, or an elite guard.

That might be true but Ariza can play off Landry just fine. There was actually an article earlier on Landry being our best post player, and that isn't so far fetched.

Its known that Ariza doesn't have the best handles but Brooks had 5 turnovers this game as well. The shorter and quicker Warriors were giving the entire squad troubles.

Maggette SUCKS. He does not give a [expletive] about winning. I would trade him for any scrub in the league. I want him released. He is horrible. And Don Nelson doesn't even care that Maggette took those shots.

Biedrins played bad too.

Curry was impressive. Better than I expected. Ellis looks like he's back to his old self.

• Owner

Maggette SUCKS. He does not give a [expletive] about winning. I would trade him for any scrub in the league. I want him released. He is horrible. And Don Nelson doesn't even care that Maggette took those shots.

:lol:

I was waiting for that.