Lin sparks renewed Howard discussion?

NomarFachix

[...]this really is a unique chance for the Knicks. They know now after a year they cannot win with Anthony and Stoudemire. But now with a point guard under Mike D'Antoni's pick and roll friendly system, they have the perfect opportunity to become one of the big stories for the rest of the NBA season: Trade Anthony and Tyson Chandler for Dwight Howard.

How could both teams not at this point? Anthony and Stoudemire don't fit together, which has been clear for a year. They're never going to be defenders and, yes, they can try to be unselfish and move the ball, but it's not who they are. More significantly, it's a rare chance to get the game's top big man. No disrespect, but you can get Anthonys. You can't get Howards. Stoudemire is, essentially, untradeable because of his large uninsurable contract because of knee problems. But Howard in the middle and Stoudemire running the pick and roll with Lin and stepping outside to create room for Howard gives the Knicks a sort of big three to compete. They have seen their three of Anthony, Stoudemire and Chandler doesn't work.

There's two other points: Would the Magic do it and would Howard come to the Knicks? The latter seems easy. He wants to be in New York. Why go to the Nets and Brooklyn? New York is the Knicks. Plus, Stoudemire, Lin and what the Knicks have is a better chance to win than Deron Williams and whatever. Plus, it's New York City, did I mention.

As for the Magic, they'll never get a better deal. Howard doesn't seem to want to go to the Lakers. But even if he did, so what if you get Andrew Bynum. Compared with Chandler and Anthony. Brook Lopez from the Nets? C'mon. I assume there'd be some other pieces involved. You figure the Knicks would take some salary. I don't think you could sell them on Hedo Turkoglu. But maybe Jason Richardson, who'd be a nice addition for that group. Maybe Orlando takes back Landry Fields and Tony Douglas or some combinations to make the money work. They can insist on Iman Shumpert. With Ryan Anderson and Glen Davis, the Magic have a star and a team that could do something. If Howard is leaving, it's difficult to see how they could do better.

Nothing is likely to occur until after All-Star break as the Magic remain convinced they have a shot to keep Howard. And if they can they will and should. But if they cannot it's a trade that makes sense all around. And how sweet would that be and how good for the NBA for one of these stars who blackmailed his team to end up on the end of a trade he never imagined. Better watch out what you wish for. Maybe it won't end up the way you like. If the Knicks had a chance to get Howard or Anthony a year ago, who would they have chosen? So if they have a chance for Howard now how could they pass it by?

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_120213.html

Who would start at the 3 then? Bill Walker? Lmao.

I would wait and see how Melo plays with Lin before talking about trading him away.

Depends on what the trade would hypothetically look like with all the pieces included. Probably whoever the salary filler from Orlando would be, J-Rich? Hedo?

I agree though. Melo sounds excited to play with Lin, has apparently been on D'Antoni to play him all year, and just had this to say:

Ian Begley @IanBegley

Melo on Lin: 'I know there’s questions about 'Can I fit in?' and stuff like that, but this is like a dream come true to me.' #LinSanity

Jonah Ballow @jonahballow

"It's easy, give him [@JLin7] the ball & space out. I get back to do what I know how to do best." @carmeloanthony #Knicks #NBA

idk if I'd want to do Melo and Tyson for Dwight, Tyson is like Lin's favorite target their chemistry together is so great, if Melo can come and play all 5 players on the court are going to be legit scoring threats, assuming Lin and Fields keep it up...

I was talking this over with my Dad, actually about 5 days or so ago...once Lin really started to play well.

What if it doesn't work when Amar'e and Melo come back? I really think the trade below would work.

We agreed that it would make sense for both teams to do this (assuming contracts/cap work out correctly):

Carmelo Anthony

Tyson Chandler

FOR

Dwight Howard

Hedo Turkoglu

But, I don't see why the team can't work with Amar'e and Carmelo. What if we got Chris Paul? Would we say the same thing?

Conflicting styles of play

Wait, who has conflicting styles of play? Amar'e and Melo? What if we had Chris Paul? Does that mean we'd have to do away with Melo because Chris Paul needs the ball to run the offense?

Everyone on the team and Melo, lol..

If we had Paul we'd obviously be much better, bit Dwight would still be the better fit. IMO.

Yeah,but my point was if we had CP3/Melo/Amare/Tyson...would everyone still say Melo couldn't play with a PG who has the ball in his hands a lot and distributes and runs the offense? Or would they say, "Wow, what a tandem..."

I'm not comparing Lin to CP3; I'm saying his play style is similar to CP3 in that he can play make, set up, and pass to teammates...

This all reminds me of that huge month Darren Collison had back in New Orleans. People were legitimately discussing the possibility of trading Chris Paul and build around Collison. The reality of this situation is that Lin will get scouted very soon, and will level off. But that's not to say he will revert back to being a D-Leaguer, as long as Dantoni is in town, his production will still be there.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/collida01/gamelog/2010/

Just go to January of that year and look at the absurd numbers he put up in Paul's absence.

I think Melo will make this work. He's one of the top spot up shooters in the league, one would think he would relish the opportunity to get high percentage shots with defenses focusing on the Lin-Amare-Chandler pick and roll.

• Like 1