Tony Parker's Point Guard Domination This Season

Has anybody else noticed just how well Parker has played against some of the more well known point guards this season?

Against Kyle Lowry/Houston

22 ppg, 6.7 apg on 47 FG%

Against Chris Paul/LAC

22 ppg, 9.5 apg on 58.5 FG%

Against Brandon Jennings/Milwaukee

22 ppg, 8 apg on 55.6 FG%

Against Russell Westbrook/OKC

42 point, 9 assist on 55.2 FG% game (although he struggled in the other meeting, scoring just 4 points)

Against Jrue Holiday/Philly

37 points, 8 assists on 50 FG%

Against Ty Lawson/Andre Miller/Denver

19 points, 6 assists on 50 FG%

Against Jose Calderon/Toronto

34 points, 14 assists on 47.3 FG%

Against Raymond Felton/Portland

20 points, 9 assists on 50 FG%

Against Jameer Nelson/Orlando

25 points, 7 rebounds, 9 assists on 52.2 FG%

Against Steph Curry/Golden State

21 points, 8 assists on 44 FG%

The only team with a well known point guard that he has really struggled against so far this season is Dallas. He has had some poor games against Memphis and Minny as well, but he has also had a good game against them as well. He wasn't great against Deron Williams either, but he only played 25 minutes in that one since it was a blowout win.

I find that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves a lot of the time. I'm not saying he is a top 5 point guard or anything like that, but you don't ever even hear him mentioned when talking about great point guards anymore.

• Like 3

Agreed, he never gets the recognition he deserves, just like Ginobili. I still remember a few years ago how sensational he was to start the season, including like a 55pt game against I believe the T-Wolves. He still has an incredible nack at getting to the rim and finishing, plays smart, and while he isn't a great playmaker he doesn't go outside of his capabilities and gets the job done. Definitely been the best player on the Spurs this season, especially with Ginobili out most of the time.

What's crazy is if you look at the first ten games or so Parker was awful, then as soon as Manu went down he turned on the switch. Not only is his offense great, he has really stepped up his defense as well. He is playing some of the best defense of his career right now.

Historically Parker has always struggled with bigger guards or extremely quick guards. Guys like Mike Conley,Devin Harris, Nelson, Lawson, Billups, Kidd, Williams ETC give him fits for some

Reason. Good to see him playing well against some of those guys.

I remember a couple years back (2008?) where the Spurs were playing the Hornets in the PO. TP was just torching Chris Paul (per usual) and finally they switched Ariza on Parker and he was completely shut down (Hornets came back and won that game). Quick big guards seem to be Parker's kryptonite.

Also Parker is a better distributer than people give him

Credit for. This year his pick and roll with Tiago Splitter has been money. It isn't a coincidence Parker's had some big assists nights (17 career high) because he now has a big man capable of running the PnR. Duncan is just not as effective as he once was in that aspect of his game.

• Like 1

Does this put him the top five pg's in the league?

Rose, CP3, DWill, Rondo, Parker?

I'd probably have him 7th.

In no order, I'd have Rose, Paul, Nash, Westbrook, Rondo and Williams ahead of him.

However, based on this seasons play alone, I'd be fine with him ahead of Rondo and Williams, maybe even Rose since he has been out with injuries.

The only point guards in the league that I can comfortably say have played better than Parker so far this season are Paul and Westbrook. Personally, I think Nash has outplayed him as well although I could understand having Parker ahead of him based on how well he has carried the Spurs without Manu and Ford, who are really the only other players on the roster who can create shots consistently.

So yeah, going off this season alone I'd agree that he has been a top 5 point guard and could possibly even get on board with him being top 3.

BFT, I think you are right with those 6 guys being ahead of him...7th is about correct. I'd also consider putting Kyrie Irving ahead of him (he's been sensational this season), and Curry, Lowry, Lawson, and Jennings (having an underrated year, though he's fallen off a bit recently) aren't far behind.

For the future I could agree with that, although I've made it well known that Curry's ankles scare me in regards to him ever becoming the player he can be.

For this season or the immediate future (next two seasons)? Eh, can't say I agree with Curry, Jennings or Lawson. I'd still rather have Parker than Lowry, but it can be argued. Irving is the only one of that group that I'd take over him.