Start Evans Over Jordan?

Forward, Reggie Evans, often used as a backup center, has been much more useful for the Clippers than starter DeAndre Jordan. Obviously, Jordan is getting more minutes and his production is better:

http://i41.tinypic.com/s58g89.png

Stats don't tell everything though. I love DeAndre (no homo), but Reggie Evans has made some key defensive and offensive plays, and plays with much more heart than Jordan.

With all that in mind, I'd start Evans over Jordan. Wouldn't you?

With all that in mind, I'd start Evans over Jordan. Wouldn't you?

Before looking at the stats I have listed below, I thought it was ridiculous...and still do. Evans is pretty much useless besides rebounding. Jordan has his shortcomings, but he is still a tremendous finisher at the rim, good rebounder and one of the best shotblockers in the league. In fact, he is their ONLY big who can protect the rim, and considering the Clippers are still in the bottom half of the league in defense, he needs to start.

BTW, for the season Jordan has a net +/- average of +15...Evans is a -14. When Evans is on the floor, the team gives up 10 more points per 100 possesions. When Jordan is on the floor, they give up 12 points less than when he is not on the floor.

I don't watch much of the Clippers, so I don't really know who plays better other than the stats. But going by stats alone, Deandre is much better. Jordan gets around twice the minutes Evans does, so do get what Evans stats would be, you can just multiply them by 2. If you do that, Evans only gets about 4 PPG and 0.4 BPG. He's got better steal and rebounding numbers though. I'd prpbably just leave them the way they are. Evans is a solid energy player to come off the bench.

I agree IF Jordan can realize and live up to his potential. Steve Francis had great potential too, for example.

Steve Francis was a good player. He had injuries that eventually derailed his career...

If the starting lineup only needs rebounds, then yea start evans. But that's not the case. Defensively, DJ and KMart are way ahead of him. Same goes with the offensive game.

I remember though, that Clippers were one of the bottom teams in rebounding before acquiring evans. That's his only use though. It's never been anything more than that.

• Owner

Evans doesn't provide the help defense DeAndre Jordan does, and when you have Blake Griffin and Mo Williams on the court, you'll need Jordan as much as possible.

I won't bother talking about these guys offensively. Chris Paul would never get Evans involved in the offense at the rate he does Jordan, and that's saying a lot because DJ isn't that big of an offensive threat.

• Like 1

True but the Clippers would've NEVER beaten the Magic and the Sixers on their recent road trip IF it wasn't for Reggie Evans. He was truly a difference-maker in those two. Key defensive plays and clutch offensive boards that really kept the Clippers alive.. Reggie Evans changed the team totally.

This does not sound like a bad idea. However I am not sure how Jordan is on the bench, I always see him excited and jumping around which is a good sign he understands that there is a time and place for everything. Regardless, hopefully a message could be sent in a positive way that brings the team together, the last thing the Clippers need right now is tension in the locker room. The Clippers have thrived off their team chemistry which has often separated them from teams in a great way.

• Like 1

^ Finally DJ showed some great defence! He still needs to improve his defensive rebounding, and also holding opponents to lower scores.

At the center position, Evans lets his opponents shoot an eFG% of 67%...Jordan is at 54%. While Evans is on the court, the Clippers give up 11 MORE points (per 100 possessions) than when he is off the court. When Jordan is on the court, the Clippers give up 12 LESS points (per 100 possessions) than when he is off court.

If defense is what you want, then what the hell are you doing starting Evans over Jordan?

Dwight Howard's D makes DeAndre's look like crap.

Wowwwwww....really?!?

Sweet jesus.

I agree DJ played much better D than Reggie last night, no question about it. DeAndre shut down the Nuggets in the 4th: Denver was 0-7 (FG). I wish he played like that more often. DJ got owned by Ekpe Udoh on both ends the other night. :(

Did you not read my post? It's not a 1 game thing...the entire season DJ has played much better defense than Evans.