Magic Johnson to launch a black television network

EastCoastNiner

It's getting pathetic today when companies have to hire "minorities" to make everything "fair", then you have high profiled minority people doing crap like this.

Enjoy your getting sued out the ass goals of 2012 you bum.

Earvin “Magic” Johnson is launching a basic cable television network targeting black viewers with positive, uplifting images of African Americans.

says he’s wanted a vehicle to showcase positive images of African Americans with stories written, produced and directed by blacks.

"Oh, but times change, so I'll throw out the Constitution when it suits my desires".

And, show me a quote where BET states that they are going to only hire blacks and have only blacks produce their programs.

Lmao obviously they weren't stupid enough to say something like this. But all Magic has to do is hire a couple of non-black people and any case you could make goes right down the drain. Freedom of speech breh.

"Produced and directed by blacks" is pretty cut and dry. However, you'll try sand claim that he could have meant blacks and whites will work together, but we both know that's not true.

so do you want free enterprise and free speech or not? i highly doubt the writers for shows aired on telemundo are white. this isn't hurting anyone, you just want to make a big deal about it. if you produced a show portraying positive views of black people, i highly doubt he would reject it because you're white

you know he is implying that he wants to give black people a place to showcase their work, basically giving them an opportunity that may not be there for all of them. getting a show on tv isn't an easy feat, so it sounds like he is trying to encourage and help some black youths live their dreams. of course, only your troll persona could find a problem with this.

Edited by Lkr

Lmao obviously they weren't stupid enough to say something like this. But all Magic has to do is hire a couple of non-black people and any case you could make goes right down the drain. Freedom of speech breh.

This has nothing to do with freedom of speech though. Honestly, I couldn't care less if companies hired whoever they wanted using whatever reasons they want, but there are laws in place, like the Civil Rights Act, which states you cannot discriminate in the workplace based upon race.

This has nothing to do with freedom of speech though. Honestly, I couldn't care less if companies hired whoever they wanted using whatever reasons they want, but there are laws in place, like the Civil Rights Act, which states you cannot discriminate in the workplace based upon race.

It does though. You are acting like he already has a company and refuses to even look at any non-black applicants. As of now all he has done is said something. Can't sue him for that.

If there was a link with correct grammar I'd be more sure of what he said but if it's true I really got to disagree.

If Larry Bird was to openly say he'd hire an all white to produce a television show, there would be an uproar. Generalizing races as individuals rather than just human beings does absolutely no justice to ending racism. Shouldn't matter if your name is Paul or Jerome when it comes to employment or pretty much anything in life because nobody is the same and color should have no factor in any daily activities.

• Like 1

I just don't understand why you need a channel to celebrate a particular ethnic group. And lets be honest, its not like black culture isn't celebrated already through BET and Black History Month (which is a joke in itself, just like all other race related "months"). Stuff like this is why race relations will never be where people want it to be.

• Like 1

I just don't understand why you need a channel to celebrate a particular ethnic group. And lets be honest, its not like black culture isn't celebrated already through BET and Black History Month (which is a joke in itself, just like all other race related "months"). Stuff like this is why race relations will never be where people want it to be.

are there any positive portrayals of black families on television? since the cosby show, not really. i don't see what the problem is with a guy trying to portray a positive portrayal of black people on television is. magic is trying to give young black kids growing up in bad areas a positive role model on television to look up to. people easily connect with those similar to themselves. you guys are acting like he is trying to harm someone, when in all honesty, he is just trying to spread a positive message to kids :lol:

are there any positive portrayals of black families on television? since the cosby show, not really. i don't see what the problem is with a guy trying to portray a positive portrayal of black people on television is. magic is trying to give young black kids growing up in bad areas a positive role model on television to look up to. people easily connect with those similar to themselves. you guys are acting like he is trying to harm someone, when in all honesty, he is just trying to spread a positive message to kids :lol:

you can't really oppress a majority. the majority of this country is white. look at the most popular television shows. how many black people are in 2.5 men? the big bang theory? modern family(although this show does a good job at portraying other minorities)?

i mean god forbid someone wants to create shows that young black children can relate to. all magic is trying to do is help black actors, producers, and writers get into the television/film industry. is that really such a harmful thing? who does it harm? majority races aren't discriminated against, but you can bet your ass that minority races are. hell, we even make jokes about that in pop culture.

i mean holy cow, he's just trying to show black kids that black people are no different than white people, and ecn is trying to crucify him for doing that. do you also oppose telemundo because it is marketed at SPANISH SPEAKING AUDIENCES? HOW DARE THEY NOT BE CAUCASIAN, LAND-OWNING, PROTESTANT MALES!!!!!!!!!!!! If you look at the FULL article and not just the ecn snippet, you can see that magic is just trying to help young blacks interested in a television career out and is trying to produce a positive image for kids to look up to.

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Earvin "Magic" Johnson is launching a basic cable television network targeting black viewers with positive, uplifting images of African Americans.

The former Los Angeles Lakers star tells the Los Angeles Times that his 24-hour Aspire channel also will offer opportunities for blacks who have struggled to find work in mainstream Hollywood.

Aspire's mix will include film, TV, music, comedy, performing arts and shows about faith.

The 52-year-old Johnson, who serves as an NBA analyst for ESPN and ABC, was enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002. He says he's wanted a vehicle to showcase positive images of African Americans with stories written, produced and directed by blacks.

Comcast Corp. reached an agreement with the FCC and Department of Justice to diversify.

Johnson's channel will launch on June 30.

Why does someone's role model have to be based off of race? No one should be ashamed of looking up to someone successful because that person is a different race than them.

LMAO @ the majority races aren't discriminated against comment.

And the Telemundo comment is obviously an exception because its meant for those who speak a different language because they otherwise wouldn't understand wtf they're watching a lot of the time. Completely different topic.

you can look up to people of other races but it is easier to look up to someone similar to you. notice the Chinese Americans and Taiwanese americans embracing lin the most? And please elaborate on someone being discriminated against for being white

you can't really oppress a majority. the majority of this country is white. look at the most popular television shows. how many black people are in 2.5 men? the big bang theory? modern family(although this show does a good job at portraying other minorities)?

i mean god forbid someone wants to create shows that young black children can relate to. all magic is trying to do is help black actors, producers, and writers get into the television/film industry. is that really such a harmful thing? who does it harm? majority races aren't discriminated against, but you can bet your ass that minority races are. hell, we even make jokes about that in pop culture.

i mean holy cow, he's just trying to show black kids that black people are no different than white people, and ecn is trying to crucify him for doing that. do you also oppose telemundo because it is marketed at SPANISH SPEAKING AUDIENCES? HOW DARE THEY NOT BE CAUCASIAN, LAND-OWNING, PROTESTANT MALES!!!!!!!!!!!! If you look at the FULL article and not just the ecn snippet, you can see that magic is just trying to help young blacks interested in a television career out and is trying to produce a positive image for kids to look up to.

CEO of Apple Tim Cook wants young white people to understand how to build computers better so he moves the plant back to America and only hires white employees.

Is it different?

• Owner

1) When you're adding a topic in one of the team forums, or basketball forums, make sure you're not putting your opinion in the title. Everything basketball goes to the Twitter feed, automatically. That's why I ask that titles are non-biased and to the point.

2) Who cares what Magic is doing? Back when I was young, I was watching shows (some reruns) that were "all black" because they were good for TV.

Family Matters

Good Times

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Sanford and Son

Cosby Show

The Jeffersons

Martin

Those shows were awesome. My parents watched some of those in the 70's (such as the Jeffersons), and back then, nobody gave a damn. There were probably more whites tuning in and watching, to be honest.

One of my favorite shows to watch on TV was "In Living Color" back when I was in grade school, because it was hilarious comedy. The only white actor (that was featured) was a very young Jim Carrey, and one original white actress (Kelly Coffield Park) through five seasons.

I sense political ties in this topic, by the way...which is expected, when you consider the subject at hand.

• Like 1