FIFA World Cup Upsets

Sħãlïq™

Šhãłïq's World Cup Upsets Poll  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Biggest World Cup Upsets

(1990 - 2010)

http://www.theibug.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Ciao-FIFA-football-world-cup-1990-Italy-mascot.jpg

1990 World Cup (ITALY): The Emergence of Cameroon

Cameroon opened the tournament with a shock victory over reigning champions Argentina, before topping the group ahead of Argentina and European Championship runner-ups the Soviet Union. They reached the quarter-finals, where they were narrowly defeated by England. Their success was fired by the goals of Roger Milla, a 38-yr-old forward who came out of retirement to join the national squad at the last moment after Cameroonian President's request. Milla's four goals and flamboyant goal celebrations made him one of the tournament's biggest stars as well as taking Cameroon to the last eight. In reaching this stage, they had gone further than any African nation had ever managed in a World Cup before. A feat equalled only twice since (by Senegal in 2002 and Ghana in 2010). Their success was African football's biggest yet on the world stage, and FIFA subsequently decided to offer the CAF qualifying zone an additional place for the next World Cup tournament.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.theibug.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Striker-the-Pup-fifa-football-world-cup-1994-mascot.jpg

1994 World Cup (USA): Bulgaria - The biggest surprise of the tournament

After eliminating France in the qualifyiers, the Bulgarians led by Hristo Stoichkov who eventually shared the tournament lead in scoring, they made a surprising run. Bulgaria beat Argentina 2:0 and humiliated Greece 4:0 winning two of three group matches to qualify for the second round, where they advanced with a 3–1 penalty shootout win over Mexico. Bulgaria then upset the reigning world champions, Germany, in the quarter-finals, where goals from Stoichkov and Yordan Letchkov gave them a 2–1 victory. Bulgaria went on to finish in fourth place after losing to Italy and Sweden, in the semi-finals and third-place match, respectively. Bulgaria had never won a match in five previous World Cup appearances.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.theibug.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/France-Footix-fifa-football-world-cup-1998-mascot.jpg

1998 World Cup (FRANCE): Croatia -- One of the best debut performances

In their first World Cup appearance Croatia reached the 1/4-Finals where they faced Germany (then ranked 2nd in the world). Though regarded as underdogs, Croatia won 3–0, with goals from Robert Jarni, Goran Vlaović and Davor Šuker after Christian Wörns was sent off for Germany. Croatia faced the host nation, France, in the semi-final: after a goalless first-half, Croatia took the lead, only to concede two goals by France's Lilian Thuram and lose. Croatia won third place by defeating the Netherlands, and Davor Šuker won the Golden Boot award for scoring the most goals in the tournament.

This was among the best debut performances in the World Cup, and as a result, Croatia were placed third in the January 1999 FIFA World Rankings, their highest ranking to date.

1998 Honorable Mention: Nigeria Stun Spain With a 3:2 Comeback

The game was expected to be a comfortable assignment for the Europeans, with Spanish side Real Madrid having won the UEFA Champions League weeks earlier. Garba Lawal embarrassed Andoni Zubizareta to level it at 2:2, and a brilliant 28-yard goal from Sunday Oliseh helped the African team shock Spain. The Nigerians would cause plenty more problems before going out in the second round. It remains their finest hour in the competition to date...

http://www.logo-design-and-the-story-behind.com/images/world-cup-logo-2002-Korea-Republic-Japan-.jpg

2002 World Cup (KOREA/JAPAN): Senegal - another great debut performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHByumaVqkI

The 2002 World Cup started with a shocker: the defending champions France were defeated 1–0 by tournament newcomers Senegal in the opening match. France, the 1998 world champions, went out of the Cup without even managing to score a single goal and earned the unwanted record of the worst World Cup performance by a defending champion in 68 years(!) (since the second World Cup in 1934 when Uruguay couldn't to defend their title). Senegal then drew with Denmark (1:1) and Uruguay (3:3) to clinch its place in the 1/8-Finals for the first time ever.

In the second round, Sweden and Senegal drew 1–1 and took it to Extra Time where Henri Camara's Golden Goal won the game for Senegal. Turkey stopped Senegal with a 1–0 golden goal victory in the 1/4-Finals.

2002 World Cup (KOREA/JAPAN): USA Stun Portugal (3:2) and Mexico (2:0), but Get Robbed in the 1/4-Finals

Group D saw several surprises as Bruce Arena's United States beat Portugal, whom many had tipped to win the tournament (goals: Brian McBride, John O'Brien, Portugal own goal). USA led 3:0 at the half, and managed to hold on for a 3-2 thanks mostly to veteran Cobi Jones. Then, goalkeeping by Brad Friedel (incl. a penalty save) earned the Americans a 1–1 draw with South Korea. Despite losing to Poland in the 3rd group stage match, the United States reached the second round where the Americans overcame Mexico 2–0 thanks to goals by Brian McBride and Landon Donovan.

In the 1/4-Finals the United States lost to Germany 1–0 by a Michael Ballack goal in the 39th minute. The USA demanded the referee give a penalty for a goal-line hand ball by Torsten Frings in the 49th minute, but to no avail.

• Like 1

http://www.theibug.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Germany-Goleo-VI-fifa-football-world-cup-2006-mascot.jpg

2006 World Cup (GERMANY): Trinidad And tobago - a memorable debut

Trinidad and Tobago was among the eight nations that qualified for the finals for the first time. The 'Soca Warriors' earned some international respect after a 0:0 draw with Sweden in their opening game. Goalkeeper Shaka Hislop was instrumental in securing a historic 0–0 draw against the heavily favoured Sweden, making several world-class saves, even with his team down to ten men for almost the entire second half. Despite just missing out on the Man of the Match honours to his close friend and captain Dwight Yorke, Hislop still earned rave reviews for his performance. Writing in The Times, he would call the occasion 'the proudest day of his career'.

The Trinidad and Tobago-England game was another memorable occasion for Hislop. In what was to be his last match for the Soca Warriors he put in another brave performance, keeping the scores deadlocked for 83 minutes, until a controversial goal from Peter Crouch. The English striker committed an arguably blatant foul at the play.

The country currently holds the record of being the smallest nation (both in size and population) to ever qualify for a World Cup Finals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.theibug.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/South-Africa-Zakumi-fifa-world-cup-2010-mascot.jpg

2010 World Cup (SOUTH AFRICA): Slovakia Eliminates '06 World Champs Italy, Shocks The World

Slovakia participated in the FIFA World Cup for the first time in their history as an independent nation after finishing in first place in UEFA's Qualification Group 3. Slovakia, complete underdogs, defeated World Cup titleholders Italy in a game which ESPN called "epic". The game saw three goals being scored after the 80th minute, two by Italy and one by Slovakia, as well as, a disallowed goal by Italy flagged offside by "the tightest of decisions". The result led Slovakia to the knockout stage and eliminated Italy, which finished last in the group. For the first time in World Cup history both finalists from the previous tournament had been eliminated from the first round: champion Italy and runner-up France.

2010 Honorable Mention:

New Zealand ended the tournament as the only undefeated team after drawing their three group matches.

Edited by Šhãłïq
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bulgaria 2-1 Germany is the answer here, mainly because there is only one other REAL upset - Cameroon-Argentina from 1990.The other games shown here, were just cases of a "small" team in great shape aganist a "big" team in bad shape,while the Bulgarian and the Cameroonian wins were cases of a world champion beaten by a team who is a candidate for an early exit from the tournament. The Bulgarian win is more important for me,mainly because this was an elimination game.Not to mention what this win and the 4th place achieved subsequently ment for the people in the country.Unfortunately I was just 2 years old back then and I don't remember anything from this "Crazy american summer" (as its often called here in Bulgaria),but from what I've heard,it was a wonderful time.Maybe this topic's author can tell us more about the summer of 1994 and how he remembers this great achievment for the Bulgarian football (or as you guys from the US call it - soccer) :)

Edited by MJ23

Bulgaria 2-1 Germany is the answer here, mainly because there is only one other REAL upset - Cameroon-Argentina from 1990.The other games shown here, were just cases of a "small" team in great shape aganist a "big" team in bad shape,while the Bulgarian and the Cameroonian wins were cases of a world champion beaten by a team who is a candidate for an early exit from the tournament. The Bulgarian win is more important for me,mainly because this was an elimination game.Not to mention what this win and the 4th place achieved subsequently meant for the people in the country. Unfortunately I was just 2 years old back then and I don't remember anything from this "Crazy american summer" (as its often called here in Bulgaria),but from what I've heard,it was a wonderful time. Maybe this topic's author can tell us more about the summer of 1994 and how he remembers this great achievement for the Bulgarian football (or as you guys from the US call it - soccer) :)

Well, I was 8 at the time. Couldn't see many games live (I used to live in Europe at the time, and most games were televised like 3 AM.. 4 AM). I remember watching people screaming on the streets. Waving their flags. It was crazy. I miss those times.

Well, I was 8 at the time. Couldn't see many games live (I used to live in Europe at the time, and most games were televised like 3 AM.. 4 AM). I remember watching people screaming on the streets. Waving their flags. It was crazy. I miss those times.

And it all started here...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

1998 Hrvatska vs. Germany goes for me. It was their first time in the World Cup and they just rolled over teams and Davor Šuker was the best striker of the tournament. It was also an elimination round it was in quarter-finals too so yeah, Germany was a very tough opponent too.

1998 Hrvatska vs. Germany goes for me. It was their first time in the World Cup and they just rolled over teams and Davor Šuker was the best striker of the tournament. It was also an elimination round it was in quarter-finals too so yeah, Germany was a very tough opponent too.

I don't really think that was an upset. Croatia was the better team at that time. Plus the Germans went down to 10 men early in that match.

Biggest upset has to be North Korea beating the Italians in 1966, or West Germany beating the Hungarians in the final in 1954.

I don't really think that was an upset. Croatia was the better team at that time. Plus the Germans went down to 10 men early in that match.

Biggest upset has to be North Korea beating the Italians in 1966, or West Germany beating the Hungarians in the final in 1954.

I don't think they were better, Germany had a really good team too. Croatia was just a surprise an teams didn't know how to react. Also you should post here more man.

I don't think they were better, Germany had a really good team too. Croatia was just a surprise an teams didn't know how to react. Also you should post here more man.

Croatia had a good team, too. They went on to finish third at the tournament, beating a good Dutch team in the process. It took a Lilian Thuram miracle for France to beat them in the semifinals. They were just better than Germany at that tournament. I don't see how they were a surprise, it's not like they were unknown, especially not to the Germans who they met in the quarterfinals of the Euro's just two years earlier.

• Like 1

Biggest World Cup Upsets

(1990 - 2010)

http://i.imgur.com/p906W.png

I saw "Das Wunder von Bern", and I have to admit that as much as Hungary were largely favored, that didn't really seem like a miracle, IMO.

Croatia had a good team, too. They went on to finish third at the tournament, beating a good Dutch team in the process. It took a Lilian Thuram miracle for France to beat them in the semifinals. They were just better than Germany at that tournament. I don't see how they were a surprise, it's not like they were unknown, especially not to the Germans who they met in the quarterfinals of the Euro's just two years earlier.

Well I was going off the upsets as they were a surprise because it was their first time in World Cup and a lot of teams choke at their first time in the World Cup.

And yes I am really award they had a good team Davor played for Real Madrid that year as well.

Edited by Smoove