Yao or Dwight

Zero

I think this should really be revisited. Before the playoffs I would have said Dwight just because he's more athletic and is better defensively. But now, since the playoffs started and I really got to see Dwight play more. I notice lack of post moves and focus. Who do you think is currently the best center in basketball(if you have another opinion on that, save it)

• Owner

Yao's defense has improved slightly, but his offensive game is far, far superior than Howard's. Comparing the two offensively, it's not even close.

Minus the injuries, I'd take Yao Ming over Howard.

Factor in the injuries, and I'm taking Dwight. I'm a little worried about that foot.

• Like 1

Dwight. Younger, faster, stronger, (better soon).

As Patrick Chewing said, he's harnassed about 10% of his potential. That's obviously an exaggeration or he'd average 200 points a game, and 140 rebounds, per, but still lol. If he grows enough to improve his game another 20% that's crazy.

Yao's defense has improved slightly, but his offensive game is far, far superior than Howard's. Comparing the two offensively, it's not even close.

Completely agree. Yao is much better from about 8 feet out and back. I think it's not even close when you consider Yao takes the technical free throws for his team Dwight bricks big ft's in playoffs. Then also consider Dwight averaged like 1 apg in an offense where that revolves around catch and shoot 3 pointers. Yao averaged about 3 apg in his offense showing you how Yao's passing is worlds ahead of Dwight's. Yao in a landslide with the injuries Yao by a bit. (After all they are kinda freak injuries)

I agree with Real Deal. If Yao Ming didn't have these injuries, I would easily take Yao, but since you can't just take away the injuries, I would have to go with Dwight. Though, to be honest, I'm not sure if he can stay productive when he gets older (30s or so) because as of right now, he relies a lot on just his athleticism. I'm sure he'll develop some post moves and maybe a decent mid-range jumper.

Offense-Yao

Yao can do it all, he has the post up game and he can spot up and shot the mid range jumper. Dwight needs to polish his game, thus far in his career he has used his strenght to power opponets. For him to be successful, he is going to need to develop some go to moves in the post and possibly a jump shooting game.

Defense-Dwight

Yao is great at altering shots but that is mostly becuase of his 7 foot 6 frame. Dwight is under 7 feet, and he can get up and block shots with the best of them. Dwights speed and strenght makes him an absolute beast on the defensive end he is able to guard in the post and in the perimeter, he can lock down with any opponet one on one. Dwight winning DPOY was no fluke.

Rebounding-Dwight

Yao needs to work on his defensive rebounding, too many times does he misjudge the ball and fail to grab the ball. Howard scoops up virtually anything that bounces his way whether its on the defensive or offensive side of the ball.

Free Throw-Yao

Easy decision here, Yao has shot in the 80% range for his whole career whereas Dwight shots around 60%.

Athleticism-Dwight

No need for explanation.

Passing-Yao

Both players get alot of double teams so it is necessary for them to be able to find the open shooter. Yao imo is one of the best at finding open guys. Dwight sometimes is off on his timing, and at times is unable to get the ball directly in his teammates hands.

I'll give the edge to Yao for now, but I think that after next season Dwight will take over officially as the best big man in that game. Dwights numbers and general athleticism is usually used as criterion for why he is a better center, but the way I see it Yao is the better big man so far.

Edited by Confidence
  • Like 2

Offensively Yao is a better player, he has low post moves that Howard does not yet have. Defensively, Howard is a beast and has the advantage over Yao in that department. However, Yao has had problems with injuries and that's why I would take Howard over Yao.

The word is that Yao may be out the whole season...that's not good for this comparison.

Dwight's offense is going to come around. I don't think it'll get up to Yao's level, but it'll become good enough to be dominant. His defense is going to improve as well which is really scary. If Yao can get healthy he's still the better player, but it looks like Dwight's game will have the bigger impact this seasaon and for the future.

• Like 1

Factor in the injuries, and I'm taking Dwight. I'm a little worried about that foot.

Howard offensive game is slightly, better than Yaos, and Dwight has a better defensive game. I love Yaos game, but like you said If it wasnt for that foot injury he would be up there with Howard..

Going with Dwight

Yao could match Duncan if it werent for injuries.

Overall skill set its easily Yao.

Defensively, Howard barely. Yao plays better defense on centers while Howard has more versatile defense and can defend 4s and 5s.

Yao owns 100% of the matchups

Howard is good, but he doesnt have what it takes to be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Like another guy said....

Reality: Dwight Howard

Parallel Universe Where Injuries Do Not Occur: Yao Ming.

Yao Ming's defense is closer to Dwight's defense than Dwight's offense is to Yao's. Dwight was also heavily exposed offensively against both Celtics and Lakers of the 2009 Playoffs. Yao also played better against the Lakers than Dwayne Howroids.

Yao>Dwight - When healthy.

Edited by DominoRocket95

• 3 weeks later...

Yao, you saw what happened in the Finals. Dwight was epicly exposed, everywhere. His post moves, the FT line, his post defense, every single part of his game was nearly exposed. You saw how Dwight pulled a Nick Anderson in Game 4 as Derek Fisher sent the game to OT. Yao would've made both of those.

Yao Ming.