Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Not Entering 2012 NBA Draft?

Built Ford Tough

LEXINGTON, KY. — University of Kentucky freshman Michael Kidd-Gilchrist threw reporters a curve and caused a stir among fans when he said after Saturday’s win over Vanderbilt that he plans to stay in school beyond this season.

Kidd-Gilchrist, a former McDonald’s All American, is averaging 12 points, 7.8 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.2 steals and 1.1 blocks per game for the top-ranked Wildcats, who’ve won 20 consecutive games. He’s one of five finalists for the Wayman Tisdale Award, given annually to the nation’s best freshman.

DraftExpress.com rates Kidd-Gilchrist the No. 3 prospect available for the next NBA draft. Chad Ford, who analyzes and rates pro prospects for ESPN, rates Kidd-Gilchrist No. 4 overall. NBAdraft.net has him slotted the lowest of any major site at No. 11. If any of those three are true, he’d be a millionaire several times over in just a few months.

That’s why it was so strange for Kidd-Gilchrist to tell reporters after Saturday’s game: “I’m graduating here. I’m not going anywhere. I’m staying at Kentucky.”

When those around him laughed, he added, “I’m dead serious. I don’t know why y’all laughing.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120227/SPORTS03/302270093/

Like I always say in these situations I'll wait until a month or so after the NCAA Tournament before I ever take these sort of comments even remotely seriously, but it is interesting to see them coming from a guy who pretty much everybody has always assumed would be a 1-and-Done in MKG ever since he was a junior in high school.