Texans resign Foster -- Mario Williams to become FA

fish7718

Texans re-signed RB Arian Foster to a five-year, $43.5 million contract, including $20.75 million guaranteed.

The deal pays roughly $30 million in its first three years, and includes a $12.5 million signing bonus. Foster will make $18 million in 2012, all but guaranteeing Mario Williams will be allowed to walk in free agency. As for Foster's contract, it's a steal for the Texans. He's easily been one of the NFL's top two running backs over the past two seasons, but the annual pay is only $8.7 million a year, fourth in the league at the position. Foster barely got more annual pay than DeAngelo Williams, and Williams even received more guaranteed. The Texans did have some leverage because they could have tagged or tendered Foster, but they won out here. Still just 25, Foster should be able to give the team at least three more strong seasons.

Rotoworld

Interesting they decided to keep Foster over Mario, even though they have Tate.

Edited by fish7718

I'd take Foster over Mario a hundred times over. No way we let our best player walk. I still hope we can find a way to bring back Mario but that is beginning to look very unlikely.

I'm not surprised by this at all. I like Mario but our defense did very well last year without him. I would like for us to sign him back but that would mean we would have to release some guys from their contracts and some guys will have to take less money which I don't see happening. But even if Mario leaves I'm not to worried Brooks Reed is a beast and will only get better. As for Tate I like him in our back field but he's not as good as Arian is behind our line. Arian has better field vision and is a way better catcher off screens than Tate is.

Edited by htownborn