Calvin Johnson signs $132M 

ChosenOne

The Detroit Lions signed star receiver Calvin Johnson to a seven-year extension Wednesday, the team announced on its Twitter account.

An NFL source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the contract is worth $132 million and includes $60 million guaranteed. Johnson's contract is the richest deal ever for an NFL wide receiver, exceeding the $120 million deal Larry Fitzgerald signed with the Arizona Cardinals last year.

Edited by ChosenOne

Maybe I'm crazy but I could never see myself investing that much money in a player who plays a position where its very possible he can get seriously injured...which is just about every position besides QB.

I know hes the best player at the position and shit but giving him 132 million when you have other players to sign is just to much. Good for the Lions to lock him up but bad for also in the way hes gonna be making on average 1.6 million dollars a game. :blink:

Calvin Johnson is NOT the best WR in the NFL, please stop saying it so openly like it's a well known fact. The guy disappears in the green zone. I'll take Andre 10 times out of 10. Terrence Newman was locking Calvin down for part of the game the Cowboys played the Lions.

Anyway, dude make bank, not gonna he deserved 132 mill, but I'm not surprised, bye bye Suh or Fairley.

Calvin Johnson is NOT the best WR in the NFL, please stop saying it so openly like it's a well known fact. The guy disappears in the green zone. I'll take Andre 10 times out of 10. Terrence Newman was locking Calvin down for part of the game the Cowboys played the Lions.

Anyway, dude make bank, not gonna he deserved 132 mill, but I'm not surprised, bye bye Suh or Fairley.

1. I love how you say "Calvin Johnson is NOT the best WR in the NFL, please stop saying it so openly like it's a well known fact."

Then you state "The guy disappears in the green zone. I'll take Andre 10 times out of 10." You're telling people not to say Calvin is the best WR like it's a well known fact, but you say he is not the best WR, then list Andre Johnson like it's a fact.

2. Oh, no, you think he gets shut-down in the green zone according to you. Good thing he's a beast in the red-zone, which is far more important. Oh, and that same Terrence Newman is the one that Calvin Johnson took a shit on for the game wining TD is one of Romo's and the Cowboy's multiple choke-jobs this year.

Calvin>Andre.

• Like 4

1. I love how you say "Calvin Johnson is NOT the best WR in the NFL, please stop saying it so openly like it's a well known fact."

Then you state "The guy disappears in the green zone. I'll take Andre 10 times out of 10." You're telling people not to say Calvin is the best WR like it's a well known fact, but you say he is not the best WR, then list Andre Johnson like it's a fact.

2. Oh, no, you think he gets shut-down in the green zone according to you. Good thing he's a beast in the red-zone, which is far more important. Oh, and that same Terrence Newman is the one that Calvin Johnson took a shit on for the game wining TD is one of Romo's and the Cowboy's multiple choke-jobs this year.

Calvin>Andre.

So he can catch jump balls in the red zone, i can find you so many other receivers who can do the same thing lol. Calvin is top 5, probably top 3, but the way this forum is all over his dick is hilarious to me.

btw lol @ bringing Romo typical bitch ECN move, why do I ever stand up for you? 12-4, lololoGiants.

So he can catch jump balls in the red zone, i can find you so many other receivers who can do the same thing lol. Calvin is top 5, probably top 3, but the way this forum is all over his dick is hilarious to me.

btw lol @ bringing Romo typical bitch ECN move, why do I ever stand up for you? 12-4, lololoGiants.

1. Plenty of players don't catch balls in the red-zone like Calvin Johnson does, or the way he does it. If there were "many other receivers who can do the same thing", then Calvin wouldn't have finished in the following positions each season for TD receptions......you know....those things that you can only get in the red-zone.

2007: 4

2008: 12 (Tied #1)

2009: 5

2010: 12 (Tied #2) (Dwayne Bowe was #1?!??!)

2011: 16 (#2 behind GRONKKKKK!!!!!)

I'm just wondering how many players were ahead of him in 2008, 2010, and 2011 in TD receptions?

Also, now that I've given it more thought, I'm even more astounded by your "green-zone comment". The red-zone is only 20 yards, so the maximum amount of yards he could have gotten if ALL of his TD's came in the red-zone would be 320 yards (20 yard line x 16 TD's).

So, if we erase those 320 yards from his receiving totals, he would place #6 in the NFL in receiving yards, with two midgets ahead of him in Welker and Smith. So, I fail to see how he's not that good in the "green-zone", unless the green-zone is a weirdly defined area, and we're also dismissing catching 50 yard bombs......which I'm sure you can find me "many players that can do the same thing".

2. You brought up the Cowboys game, so I mention Newman, their leader Romo, and the Cowboys team. I fail to see what's so harsh about that. That's the same game where Megatron was "locked down" by Newman, and still managed 8 receptions, 96 yards, and two TD's.. If that's being shut-down, then I'd love to have Megatron on the Patriots and 49er's and have him shut-down every week. Now, I know you're going to say something along the lines of, "Oh, but you have to watch the game again, as the stats don't tell the whole story". I watched the game, and all I need to know is that Calvin scored two clutch TD's.

So, you can take Andre Johnson and his "green-zone" production, and I'll gladly take Calvin Johnson and his TD production (these things called points are pretty important, and you get them by scoring TD's)......hell, I'll even take a shut-down Calvin Johnson!

In the end, I don't think it's outrageous by any means to think Andre Johnson is the best WR in the NFL, although I disagree. However, what is outrageous is to tell people to stop saying that Calvin Johnson is the best WR in the NFL, then right after say that Andre Johnson is, and use a flawed and senseless argument to make your point.

/end rant.

Edited by BeeBeeSee

Wow wait! So how is Calvin not the best WR in the league again?

Not a great route runner, gets shut down by average corners, relies on large body and QB's ability to put the ball into a high window to be effective.

Not a great route runner, gets shut down by average corners, relies on large body and QB's ability to put the ball into a high window to be effective.

What are you talking about? You're really grasping at straws here. You're usually better than this, but you're really being nothing short of absurd right now. It has nothing to do with you think Andre Johnson is better, but how you're trying to make Calvin Johnson sound average, or not a top WR.

Let's break this down.

1. "Not a great route runner, gets shut down by average corners".

Oh, these are the same corners that allowed him to be the league leader in receiving yards and second overall in TD receptions? So, if these "average" corners are shutting him down, does that mean he's shredding the "elite" corners? If not, then please do explain where his league leading 1,681 receiving yards and 16 TD's came from? Just to let you know, yards and TD's do not grow on trees, so they don't come from nowhere. So, if he's not getting them by playing against average CB's, and he's probably not getting them against elite CB's if he can't get them against "average" CB's, then where are all of his yards and TD's coming from?

2. I thought your first point was non-sensical, but this is even worse. So, you're going to penalize Calvin Johnson for being an athletic freak?

What's next? Are we going to penalize Brady for "relying on his IQ"?

Are we going to penalize Randy Moss for using his speed and athletic ability as well?

Are we going to penalize Vick for using his speed and rocket arm?

Hell, we might as well penalize Shaq for relying on his size while we're at it.

Do you not see how dumb that sounds? This isn't like a pitcher relying solely on his fastball, a hockey player relying on his size and long stick (no homo) to play defense, or anything of that nature. Calvin Johnson can't just get rid of his athletic ability and rely just on his smarts. His athletic ability is a large part of what makes him great.

If he's not supposed to "rely" on his athletic ability, what the hell is he supposed to rely on.

Sorry, but in the four years that I've been here, your position on this topic is the most confusing (and in my view wrong) stance I've seen from you, and ranks among the most illogical arguments you've tried to make.

Once again, I don't think it's outrageous to think Andre Johnson is the best WR, but your points against Calvin just aren't making sense to me and others, and it obviously wouldn't make sense to 32 NFL teams.

Calvin is top 5, probably top 3, but the way this forum is all over his dick is hilarious to me.

you're trying to make Calvin Johnson sound average, or not a top WR..

Stopped reading your post after that because you clearly are not understanding what I'm saying

When does Calvin Johnson does not get shut down by average corners other then this supposed one time against Newman. I'm not trying to get into this debate with you and ECN, but for one i've got to be on ECN's side. Calvin Johnson almost always has atleast two guys on him in the red zone, and he still comes down with the TD more often than anyone in the NFL.

When does Calvin Johnson does not get shut down by average corners other then this supposed one time against Newman. I'm not trying to get into this debate with you and ECN, but for one i've got to be on ECN's side. Calvin Johnson almost always has atleast two guys on him in the red zone, and he still comes down with the TD more often than anyone in the NFL.

Which why he is top probably top 3 in my book.

Just believe he is over rated(BY THIS FORUM lol not even by everyone), watch the games, he is not open a lot, but at the same time he is always open because he is so damn tall.

What are you talking about? You're really grasping at straws here. You're usually better than this, but you're really being nothing short of absurd right now. It has nothing to do with you think Andre Johnson is better, but how you're trying to make Calvin Johnson sound average, or not a top WR.

Finally read your books posts and not gonna quote them all I'll just answer here.

First off stop saying about I'm usually better or whatever, I can careless what I am usually or how I'm different then I normally am. It's a stupid comment. People can believe he is the best WR, but I believe it is silly. He is so reliant on his height that if doesn't have a QB who can put the ball where only he can get, the team is in trouble. Andre Johnson, makes more room for his QB's to make mistakes and he will still get the ball, because he effectively creates room from the defenders guarding him. That is how I rate my WR's how good you are at getting open and how good you are at catching the ball. Calvin is an exception for a few reason because of his excellent height and leaping ability nobody in the NFL can guard him because if the ball is in the right spot there is only 1 player on the field who can grab and it is him. Now if you can't comprehend this, please stop posting books, Yes Calvin got 1,700 yards and what 16 TD's last year I understand this, his QB also threw for 5,000 yards and 41 TD's he is an offense where they throw the ball 42 times a game, so am I surprised that he got those stats? No not really.

All that said, the topic is about him signing 8 years 132 mil, biggest contract ever for a WR, 12 mil more than Larry Fitzgerald, do I believe he is worth that? My answer is still no, but the Lions are desperate to keep him I suppose.

Edited by fish7718

Stopped reading your post after that because you clearly are not understanding what I'm saying

Finally read your books posts and not gonna quote them all I'll just answer here.

First off stop saying about I'm usually better or whatever, I can careless what I am usually or how I'm different then I normally am. It's a stupid comment. People can believe he is the best WR, but I believe it is silly. He is so reliant on his height that if doesn't have a QB who can put the ball where only he can get, the team is in trouble. Andre Johnson, makes more room for his QB's to make mistakes and he will still get the ball, because he effectively creates room from the defenders guarding him. That is how I rate my WR's how good you are at getting open and how good you are at catching the ball. Calvin is an exception for a few reason because of his excellent height and leaping ability nobody in the NFL can guard him because if the ball is in the right spot there is only 1 player on the field who can grab and it is him. Now if you can't comprehend this, please stop posting books, Yes Calvin got 1,700 yards and what 16 TD's last year I understand this, his QB also threw for 5,000 yards and 41 TD's he is an offense where they throw the ball 42 times a game, so am I surprised that he got those stats? No not really.

All that said, the topic is about him signing 8 years 132 mil, biggest contract ever for a WR, 12 mil more than Larry Fitzgerald, do I believe he is worth that? My answer is still no, but the Lions are desperate to keep him I suppose.

You can't have it both ways, and that's what you're trying to do right now.

I love how you said, "Stopped reading your post after that because you clearly are not understanding what I'm saying", yet before the comment I responded to, you said the following:

"So he can catch jump balls in the red zone, i can find you so many other receivers who can do the same thing lol."

I'd love for you to list me the "many WR's" (in your own words) that can jump and catch the ball the same way he does, while producing TD's and yards. I'll be waiting a while is my guess.

Now, on the the second part that I quoted, you said the following: (not going to respond to the first part because it's the same argument you tried to make before, and if you can't understand what I'm saying, then there's little hope for you)

"Now if you can't comprehend this, please stop posting books, Yes Calvin got 1,700 yards and what 16 TD's last year I understand this, his QB also threw for 5,000 yards and 41 TD's he is an offense where they throw the ball 42 times a game, so am I surprised that he got those stats? No not really."

So, we're going to pull the Matthew Stafford and a high passing offense card........

Sure, it doesn't hurt that they threw a lot, but outside of Calvin, he had little help. He was double and triple teamed with no running game.

Now, if you're going to pull the QB card and pass-happy offense card, please explain how Calvin Johnson managed the following:

2008: He had 1,331 receiving yards and 12 TD's with Dan Orlovsky as his primary QB

2010: He had 1,120 receiving yards and 12 TD's with Shaun Hill as his primary TD.

Please, do explain how he still put up great numbers on some terrible Lions teams. I'm guessing you're going to say it's because he relies on his height, speed, etc., which are all amazing skill attributes of his which you want to somehow punish him for because he's apparently not a "fundamentally sound" WR or whatever the hell you are trying to call him.

I don't need to write a book to show you are being foolish. All I have to do is pull out the facts, and it's quite obvious who's not making too much sense and reaching a lot here.

I rest my case.

Edited by BeeBeeSee

It's obvious it was 12 TD's as it was a typo, but it's good that you admitted defeat. There's nothing you can say that would make sense at this point that would not contradict your previous statements at the same time.

Sure