Sixers Acquire Sam Young

Martin Frank ‏ @mfranknba Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Confirmed: #Sixers get Sam Young from Memphis for rights to Ricky Sanchez (drafted 2nd rd in 05 by Portland, traded to Sixers in 07)

Bob Cooney ‏ @BobCooney76

Sixers acquire guard/forward sam young from Memphis for draft pick. Getting ready to fly home. More later.

Kind of strange move for Philly picking up another guard/forward.

With Turner, Holiday, Williams, Meeks, Holiday and even Young (although he mainly plays the 4) already on the roster and rotating between the 1/2/3, I would've expected them to target a depth big, not more depth on the wings.

Lol pretty impressive double post. We had to have been within milliseconds of each other.

But yes, this surprises me, and it doesn't surprise me at the same time. I had heard rumblings in the past week that the Sixers were working on a minor deal for a swingman. So I guess Young is that guy.

You'd think they'd be going after another competent big, though. Yes Hawes is back, but he is only playing 5 minutes per quarter and no back to backs (for the foreseeable future). Vucevic has regressed big time, or at least "hit the rookie wall". There is definitely a need there.

Maybe this is leading up to something bigger? Perhaps there is a bigger deal on the horizon that involves shipping out one of the current rotation guys, so they needed more depth. Who knows

Quoted from a Grizz fan on Grizz forum:

I’m happy for Sam. He wasn’t getting a chance to play, and he has proven he can be a quality player in this league. Not a star, but a 10-12 points a game guy, definitely. I love this move. We got a draft pick out of a player who never plays, and get a little extra money to go sign Free Agent Zero.

Not a bad move. Fits in the team's style of play just fine.

Nothing wrong with adding more defense at the 2/3 position.

It really is mind boggling that they don't seem to be going after a (decent, not old Battie type) big though.

The only other deal I've heard about was a Meeks/filler for Hinrich & Radmonavic(sp) swap.