College Basketball Offseason Discussion

Flash

Couple of transfer news:

1. Josiah Turner, the big catch of Arizona's recruiting class last year, is transfering to SMU to play under Larry Brown after a freshman year full of conflict with Sean Miller, suspensions and what not.

Scratch that. Turns out Turner is actually going to puruse a pro career either in Europe or the D-League for a year or two and then enter the draft.

• 1 month later...

Tyler Ennis, a Canaidan point guard ranked as the 4th best lead guard in the class of 2013, committed to Syracuse today.

I love the move for Ennis' college career as I think Syracuse's playing style is a very good fit for him and he should get a significant role immediately. The fact that it will be Syracuse's first season in the ACC will give him ample coverage and exposure as well.

However, the biggest weakness of his game is on the defensive end of the floor and going to Syracuse and playing in the 2-3 zone isn't likely going to help him develop as much as other systems would. Sure, it will help mask his weaknesses while he is in college, but when he looks to make the jump to the pros I can't help but think he might've been better off going to a different school that would be able to help improve his defense and not look to "cover it up" instead.

Despite that, I do like the move for Ennis since, other than the whole zone thing, Syracuse is a great fit for him while also being close to family and his brother (who plays for Villanova) who he is super close with.

Of course, anything can happen between now and the actual signing period so it isn't set in stone that he will be playing for Syracuse next year. After all Trey Lyles (class of 2014) made an early committment to Indiana last season and decommitted from them about a week ago.