Is Westbrook a Franchise Player?

Obviously he's not for the Thunder because of Kevin Durant, but is Westbrook a franchise player in his own right? Could he be the leader of a championship winning team? Can you build a successful team around him?

Obviously he's not for the Thunder because of Kevin Durant, but is Westbrook a franchise player in his own right? Could he be the leader of a championship winning team? Can you build a successful team around him?

Sure, he's got the scoring capabilities, I think teams would be better suited with him at the 2 though...

I think a duo of Harden and Westbrook would be really good......if you take Durant off that team, they are still a threat to put up points. Wesbrook alone would be terrible, he is way too much of a ball hog and you would need some really forgiving second options to put up with that.

• Owner

Nope. He can be a second option on a championship team, but I can't say Westbrook is a primary scoring option on a contender. He struggles against zones when Durant is on the bench, and I could see him turning the ball over far too much, trying to create for all of his teammates.

• Like 3

The question was if he was a franchise player, not a franchise player on a championship team. Westbrook is a top 15 player, so to answer the question, yes, he is undoubtedly a franchise player. Whether or not he can be the best player on a championship team, well that is a whole other can of worms. Right now, probably not, but a few years from now? Who knows, he is probably going to keep improving bit by bit.

Durant is only marginally better than Westbrook, don't get me wrong Durant is the franchise and the better player, but still. I am far from a Westbrook fan, but he brings a lot of things to the table a player like Durant doesn't, Westbrook is a terrific player with honestly limitless potential. I just wish he played like more of a true point because he is keeping Harden on the bench (one of my favourite players in the league) with the way he plays, but I've come to accept the player he is.

• Owner

The question was if he was a franchise player, not a franchise player on a championship team.

Plus, franchise players are those you CAN build around and contend with (not necessarily win it all, but contend). Danny Granger is no franchise player. The Pacers made the attempt to make him one, but he isn't. It would ring true for Westbrook, also.

The question was if he was a franchise player, not a franchise player on a championship team. Westbrook is a top 15 player, so to answer the question, yes, he is undoubtedly a franchise player. Whether or not he can be the best player on a championship team, well that is a whole other can of worms. Right now, probably not, but a few years from now? Who knows, he is probably going to keep improving bit by bit.

Durant is only marginally better than Westbrook, don't get me wrong Durant is the franchise and the better player, but still. I am far from a Westbrook fan, but he brings a lot of things to the table a player like Durant doesn't, Westbrook is a terrific player with honestly limitless potential. I just wish he played like more of a true point because he is keeping Harden on the bench (one of my favourite players in the league) with the way he plays, but I've come to accept the player he is.

So, then according to you, there must be about 30 franchise players in the NBA? There's not 30 franchise players in the NBA, nor are there 15 players.

He's similar to Amare and Bosh where both are very talented players, but they aren't cornerstone, franchise players. If they are the main piece of a team, you're not winning a title.

I have a very strict definition of a franchise player. I think the only franchise players in the NBA are LeBron, Wade, Kobe (still), Rose, and POSSIBLY Howard.

So, then according to you, there must be about 30 franchise players in the NBA? There's not 30 franchise players in the NBA, nor are there 15 players.

He's similar to Amare and Bosh where both are very talented players, but they aren't cornerstone, franchise players. If they are the main piece of a team, you're not winning a title.

I have a very strict definition of a franchise player. I think the only franchise players in the NBA are LeBron, Wade, Kobe (still), Rose, and POSSIBLY Howard.

Durant? Love? Dirk?