Odom, Mavericks part ways

Lamar Odom's brief and bumpy ride with the Dallas Mavericks has come to an abrupt end.

The Mavericks and Odom spent Easter Sunday working out a parting, according to sources close to the situation, that frees the struggling Odom to leave the team immediately without actually being released.

"The Mavericks and I have mutually agreed that it's in the best interest of both parties for me to step away from the team," Odom said in a statement to ESPN.com.

“I'm sorry that things didn't work out better for both of us, but I wish the Mavs' organization, my teammates and Dallas fans nothing but continued success in the defense of their championship.”

Sources said Monday that Odom's departure will be immediate and that the Mavericks intend to simply list him as inactive for the rest of the season instead of outright releasing him, leaving open the possibility that they could still trade him after the season in conjunction with the draft. Any team that has Odom on its roster as of June 29 must buy him out by that date for $2.4 million or otherwise accept responsibility for the full $8.2 million that Odom is scheduled to earn in 2012-13.

----------------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7791431/dallas-mavericks-lamar-odom-sever-ties-immediately

^ :lol: Bring back Q-Rich while you are at it.

It's a shame Odom couldn't fit in with Dallas. He is a terrific player and I am sure there is a larger reason for his struggle than whatever is being printed.

on a different board I post on said this....

-----

Kobe had to play with 2 vaginas in Pau and Odom, and a petulant child in Bynum. His ability to motivate a bunch of giant pussies is Jordan like. I too respect him a little more.

Although I like Odom a lot...

Goodbye and Good riddance. Never wanted to leave LA simple as that..

Yep. I have a hard time believing that he gave it his all in Dallas. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to trade him back to LA at the end of the year.

what if Odom-Maggette-Miles all go bakk to tha Clipset!

^ :lol: Bring back Q-Rich while you are at it. (...)

I didn't specify to which Cali team he might be headed (thought he'd choose the last Cali team he won a 'ship with). A 'Clipset Reunion' would be dope though! :glasses:

When motivated we've seen what Odom can do. He'd be great on a team like the Knicks, too, who could use rebounding on their frontline. Regardless, it's a very odd situation he's in right now and the entire way he's gone about it has been so unprofessional.

the Mavericks intend to simply list him as inactive for the rest of the season instead of outright releasing him,

I don't understand why he would not just play the season out instead of agreeing be on the inactive list for the rest of the season.

He was nothing more than a distraction, Dirk, Kidd and Carlisle and JET, were consistently asked about him for weeks and months whether or not he was gonna return to form.

Odom rarely gave effort and you could see it in his game.. it's a shame also.

I don't understand why he would not just play the season out instead of agreeing be on the inactive list for the rest of the season.

Rumor is that Dirk and Odom got into a scuffle after Saturday's loss in the locker room and that's what led to this...

Odom, Cuban clashed

At halftime of his final game with the Dallas Mavericks Saturday night, Lamar Odom had an angry exchange with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban in the visitors' locker room in Memphis, according to sources familiar with the discussion.

Sources told ESPNDallas.com that the heated words were "the culmination" of an exasperating weekend. That convinced team officials to initiate discussions on Easter that led to the parties agreeing split for the rest of the season.

According to sources, the crux of the heated halftime confrontation was Cuban asking Odom if he was "in or out." Sources said Odom, who had played only four minutes in the first half, reacted angrily to the question and did not take his seat on the bench until after the third quarter began.