BFT's 2012 Mock Draft V3

Built Ford Tough

• Owner

It's funny...when I look over this draft, this could be up there with 1984, 1996 and 2003. I'm not going to say that it will breed 3-4 all-stars and future HOF'ers, but I would put money on it being the best draft since 2003, and one of the more intriguing ones we've seen.

I'll put out a mock sometime...but I can already tell it's going to be tough as hell. It's going to be hard for me to predict where those first five teams look (well, 2-6, since Davis is already a Bobcat). I know we'll hear more about it as time goes by, but right now, I'm more excited for the draft than I am the rest of the regular season, despite the Lakers being a three seed.

Nice mock. I'd be happy if the Bucks landed Perry Jones III. We need to take the best player available come draft night though, regardless of position.

Also, this is one of the deeper drafts in recent years. I'm looking forward to seeing who turns into perennial all-stars out of this group.

If Cleveland takes Fab Melo 2 picks before us I might go Dan Gilbert crazy. Great mock though. Only thing I'd have different in mine actually is I don't think Utah passes up Marshall.

Edited by Flash

I wouldn't be opposed to Moultrie at that point in the draft, I doubt he's going to make any significant impact in his rookie year but he has potential so he's someone the Rockets can groom for a few years and possibly send down to the D-League although not many players seem to like Houston doing that. It depends on how Houston management sees Moultrie, is he stuck as a tweener or can be play a definite position in the NBA as a power forward or center. It would be preferable that he can play center due to Motiejunas coming over next season and likely playing the 4 slot although I could see him playing the 5 if his growth spurt is true. I could see Houston going two other routes here by either moving up about 6-7 slots in order to draft Tyler Zeller (think he should be our #1 realistic target) or simply stand pat and take Austin Rivers in hopes of him reaching his potential and replacing one of Kevin Martin and Courtney Lee.

I agree with most of your mock except for Beal to the Wizards. I think that would be an interesting pick and I agree with your points on Beal but I feel Kidd-Gilchrist would make more sense for Washington at #2. For one the Wizards already have Jordan Crawford at SG and he should continue to get better and the WIzards will more than likely have a high second round pick so they can take a back up SG like a John Jenkins or William Buford there. Also I know the Wizards just drafted Vesely and Singleton and still has Rashad Lewis massive contract but if they draft MKG they can amnesty (if there able to do that next year) or trade Lewis and move Vesely to PF and just let MKG start at SF with Singleton backing him up. And I agree with Flash if Utah is to pick a PG that high I seriously doubt they would pass on Marshall for Lillard since he's more of a scorer than the traditional PG's that Utah likes to have.

Edited by htownborn

I agree with most of your mock except for Beal to the Wizards. I think that would be an interesting pick and I agree with your points on Beal but I feel Kidd-Gilchrist would make more sense for Washington at #2. For one the Wizards already have Jordan Crawford at SG and he should continue to get better and the WIzards will more than likely have a high second round pick so they can take a back up SG like a John Jenkins or William Buford there. Also I know the Wizards just drafted Vesely and Singleton and still has Rashad Lewis massive contract but if they draft MKG they can amnesty (if there able to do that next year) or trade Lewis and move Vesely to PF and just let MKG start at SF with Singleton backing him up. And I agree with Flash if Utah is to pick a PG that high I seriously doubt they would pass on Marshall for Lillard since he's more of a scorer than the traditional PG's that Utah likes to have.

Crawford is a non-factor. You don't pass up on a guy because you have Jordan Crawford on your team. That is ridiculous. Crawford is a low percentage chucker who will never be a starter on a contending team.

If you want to go that route, I counter with Singleton already being on the roster. He is a better player than Crawford is.

Really though, other than Wall, there is no player on Washington's roster that you would not draft a particular position because you already have *fill in the blank* on the roster.

As for Beal, I just think he is a better prospect than MKG. I realize MKG is the more hyped and high touted player, but I truly believe Beal is not only better, but has more potential. Like I said in the write up, Beal has legitimate star potential both offensively and defensively while MKG really doesn't have a lot of offensive potential in my mind.

Basically, I'm just not nearly as high on MKG as many other people are. I could easily be wrong about him, but I just don't think he is this can't miss prospect. He will be a great role player but with a top 3 pick in a draft, you should set your sights higher than a glue guy. Beal has the potential to be much more than that.

In regards to Lillard over Marshall, I talk about it later in this post when responding to Flash.

I wouldn't be opposed to Moultrie at that point in the draft, I doubt he's going to make any significant impact in his rookie year but he has potential so he's someone the Rockets can groom for a few years and possibly send down to the D-League although not many players seem to like Houston doing that. It depends on how Houston management sees Moultrie, is he stuck as a tweener or can be play a definite position in the NBA as a power forward or center. It would be preferable that he can play center due to Motiejunas coming over next season and likely playing the 4 slot although I could see him playing the 5 if his growth spurt is true. I could see Houston going two other routes here by either moving up about 6-7 slots in order to draft Tyler Zeller (think he should be our #1 realistic target) or simply stand pat and take Austin Rivers in hopes of him reaching his potential and replacing one of Kevin Martin and Courtney Lee.

I did think of putting Rivers to Houston and I actually had him going there first before I changed it.

I just like Moultrie more as a prospect. I know he is a junior and Rivers is a freshman and usually you think the freshman has more upside, but I actually think Moultrie has more room to grow. I just don't think Mississppi State did a really good job of utilizing him and I also don't think him and Sidney really complimented each other very well.

I can understand the logic behind Rivers going to Houston, though.

I would be absolutely thrilled if we can get Doron Lamb.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I don't think he falls to the end of the first round and will be picked up in the 20-25 range. With his skillset I can easily see him impressing in workouts and moving up the board.

I do absolutely love the fit for Chicago.

If Cleveland takes Fab Melo 2 picks before us I might go Dan Gilbert crazy. Great mock though. Only thing I'd have different in mine actually is I don't think Utah passes up Marshall.

Fair enough and I definitely don't disagree with you. I can see an argument for either one.

Ultimately, I just think Lillard is going to be a better player. He has more transferable skills to the NBA than Marshall does.

I also think with Hayward being a reliable point forward that they don't need a pure facilitator like Marshall and can afford to have more of a scoring point.

Really though, there are arguments for and against each of them. It is also difficult to really go into any real detail since I highly doubt anybody on here has seen Lillard play anymore than one time. I know I've only seen just 3 games of his this year. I came away very impressed in thos games, but still, 3 games is hardly enough to judge a player on.

I think if the Jazz get the opportunity they are going to take Rivers. I don't see them passing him up.

I know that Rivers is a big name and all, but what really seperates him from Alec Burks? High school hype and the Rivers name is all that I can come up with because it certainly isn't anything he did during his only season at Duke.

Burks was a much more productive college player. Yeah, he stayed two years but even then, his freshman numbers are better than Rivers' basically across the board. The only thing Rivers had on him was three point shooting.

Add to that Burks has very nice size (6'6), wingspan (6'10) and is more athletic than Rivers.

He hasn't had a great rookie season by any means, but there have been flashes of his potential. I honestly don't think Rivers is really that much of an improvement on Burks.

I guess since they have two picks I can understand it, but still, I'd rather go for a higher upside player such as Jones than Rivers. I'm not very high on Rivers, though. His season at Duke was very average if you look at advanced stats.

• Like 1

Interesting. Lillard is a definite lotto pick but Marshall is my man crush of this draft lol. I think the sky is the limit for him as a pro. He's got so many great qualities and his offensive game is much improved than where it was last season.

Crawford is a non-factor. You don't pass up on a guy because you have Jordan Crawford on your team. That is ridiculous. Crawford is a low percentage chucker who will never be a starter on a contending team.

If you want to go that route, I counter with Singleton already being on the roster. He is a better player than Crawford is.

Really though, other than Wall, there is no player on Washington's roster that you would not draft a particular position because you already have *fill in the blank* on the roster.

As for Beal, I just think he is a better prospect than MKG. I realize MKG is the more hyped and high touted player, but I truly believe Beal is not only better, but has more potential. Like I said in the write up, Beal has legitimate star potential both offensively and defensively while MKG really doesn't have a lot of offensive potential in my mind.

Basically, I'm just not nearly as high on MKG as many other people are. I could easily be wrong about him, but I just don't think he is this can't miss prospect. He will be a great role player but with a top 3 pick in a draft, you should set your sights higher than a glue guy. Beal has the potential to be much more than that.

In regards to Lillard over Marshall, I talk about it later in this post when responding to Flash.

True Crawford is a streaky shooter and he is shooting a terrible 40% from the field but he's still young as well and that doesn't mean he can't improve. But you make a great case for Beal for the simple fact that Beal knows how to score as well as defend while MKG is a good defender and raw offensive prospect, but I think whoever they take weather it's Beal or MKG it could help them out a lot. Honestly though I feel both would be a bit of a reach at #2 even though I think both have great potential I see a guy like Harrison Barnes as a prospect with more potential yet most makes don't even have him as a top 5 pick (I guess because he disappointed many with his play during the tournament and he struggles to create shots for hisself at times) might just be me though. And that's why I usually don't try to look at many mock draft's before the lottery because no one really has a clue to where these prospects will fall with the exception of Anthony Davis.

Edited by htownborn

Very interesting having us pick Fab Melo with the 26th pick. We certainly need a big man. Besides Tristan and Andy there isn't much, because Erden has not been playing well since coming to Cleveland.

I haven't watched much of MKG, but I'd be fine with either him or Beal. We need a starting SG/SF.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Very interesting having us pick Fab Melo with the 26th pick. We certainly need a big man. Besides Tristan and Andy there isn't much, because Erden has not been playing well since coming to Cleveland.

I haven't watched much of MKG, but I'd be fine with either him or Beal. We need a starting SG/SF.

If Melo is there I think Cleveland are fools if they don't draft him (or at least another legitimate center, which there aren't many of at that stage in the draft). They absolutely need to get a big in my opinion. Of course, if they draft Drummond with their first pick, that changes and I would expect them to target a guy like Doron Lamb, Dion Waiters or some other talented swing with the Lakers pick (or the Mavs pick, if they fall out of the top 20).

Yeah I think Beal has overtaken that 2nd spot. I love MKG as a prospect and I can see any team taking him at 2 but Beal is the better player.

I actually think out of all the prospects MKG could find himself fall the furthest during all the combine and workouts. He isn't particularly skilled, athletic or long so I doubt he will really wow players. That isn't to say he isn't a good player, but we see guys like Lamb, Barnes, PJ3, etc... shoot up in these situations while the more blue collar players like MKG slide a bit.

True Crawford is a streaky shooter and he is shooting a terrible 40% from the field but he's still young as well and that doesn't mean he can't improve. But you make a great case for Beal for the simple fact that Beal knows how to score as well as defend while MKG is a good defender and raw offensive prospect, but I think whoever they take weather it's Beal or MKG it could help them out a lot. Honestly though I feel both would be a bit of a reach at #2 even though I think both have great potential I see a guy like Harrison Barnes as a prospect with more potential yet most makes don't even have him as a top 5 pick (I guess because he disappointed many with his play during the tournament and he struggles to create shots for hisself at times) might just be me though. And that's why I usually don't try to look at many mock draft's before the lottery because no one really has a clue to where these prospects will fall with the exception of Anthony Davis.

The problem with Crawford is that he is literally the exact same player this year as he was last year. I admit to not seeing many Wizard games this year, but from what I have I have seen absolutely no growth in his game. Hell, I haven't really seen any growth since his final year at Xavier. That suggests to me he doesn't really have much upside left.

As far as Barnes, I am still higher on him than most and I can understand why you think he would be a good fit in Washington. I don't disagree with it. I think his stock will rise again once measurements come out and pre draft workouts begin, just like somebody like Jeremy Lamb. Both of them are long and skilled and those players usually kill workouts.

Then again, I think Beal could solidify himself as the consensus number 2 pick as well, especially if he measures out well (6'5 with a 6'10+ wingspan, which is possible).

I am just going off of the information I have now and doing what I think each team will do, not necessarily what I would do for them (although that does play a factor as well).

I don't know if i see Sacramento picking Drummond with Barnes still up there. I hope so, but if i were in their position, i wouldn't.

Swing for the fences is my opinion. Drummond has as much upside as anybody in the draft and if he reaches that upside, you have the most dominant big man duo in the league bar none. A Cousins/Drummond duo is the type of combination that will lead teams to championships. There is no doubt in my mind about that.

Don't get me wrong, Barnes is an excellent fit there as well. He would fit in perfectly with the ball dominant and high usage players like Evans, Thornton, Thomas and Cousins and I certainly understand where you are coming from. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to form the next great "twin towers" duo, especially when dominant bigs are at such a premium right now.

Interesting. Lillard is a definite lotto pick but Marshall is my man crush of this draft lol. I think the sky is the limit for him as a pro. He's got so many great qualities and his offensive game is much improved than where it was last season.

I like him, but I really don't think he will be that great in the NBA. A better shooting Andre Miller is about what I think his ceiling will be. That is a pretty good player, though, considering Miller has had a very solid career and led the league in assists before.

I hope he becomes stud and top tier point guard because he is one of my favourite players in the draft. I just don't think it will happen.

Davis and Biyombo would make for a pretty formidable defensive frontcourt

EDIT: Davis and Biyombo will make for a pretty formidable defensive frontcourt

The best part of them pairing those two up (if it were to happen) is that they will very likely be in a prime position to draft in the top 3 next year as well. I think Davis will be a stud, but I don't think he is going to come in and have a huge impact immediately, so the Bobcats won't be significantly better next year. If they are able to get Shabazz Muhammad next year, look out.

It's funny...when I look over this draft, this could be up there with 1984, 1996 and 2003. I'm not going to say that it will breed 3-4 all-stars and future HOF'ers, but I would put money on it being the best draft since 2003, and one of the more intriguing ones we've seen.

I can understand where you are coming from. I don't think it will produce the stars that any of those drafts did, but I can easily see it having upwards of 10 players who become good NBA players. It is a very deep draft.

The one knock is that there are few players that project to be perennial all-star players like the ones you mentioned did.

Is this the type of draft that shows why the college rule works? Can you imagine if this class hadn't gone to school? Guys like Austin Rivers would've gone top 5 but since they got that year in college teams have a better idea of who's going to be the better players, etc. from this draft.

Is this the type of draft that shows why the college rule works? Can you imagine if this class hadn't gone to school? Guys like Austin Rivers would've gone top 5 but since they got that year in college teams have a better idea of who's going to be the better players, etc. from this draft.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Throw Drummond into that catagory as well. He would've been a virtual lock to go top 2, possibly even 1st.

The same could be said about last years class as well. Barnes would've been a lock for the 1st pick, Knight would've went ahead of Irving and PJ3 would likely be the other top 3 pick. Sullinger would probably go in the top 4 and Irving would fall to 5th.

To be perfectly honest, I'd be fine with players having to stay for 2 years. Just make it so that the rule comes into place after the Raptors are done with their tanking, haha.