NBA Age Limit

Legacy

IMO it benefits both the NBA and the NCAA to have this age limit. Teams are much more protected from drafting a potential bust and these kids have a year to learn under college coaches and get used to the traveling/grind of a longer season.

Once you're 18 your grown. The choice is yours.

Part of me agrees with this, while part of me sees why NBA teams would rather see a guy play at school for some time to get a clear indication of potential with other elite athletes. For every Kobe, KG, LeBron, Dwight, and Bynum you'll get a couple of Kwame Browns.

In all honesty, flat out busts haven't had much of a presence in the NFL or NBA recently, which I find strange.

Edited by Lkr

They should go back. Like Lkr said, many fail coming straight out of high school. But many are in financial need and it will lead to less corruption in college sports. Going to college a year just prolongs the suffering for many of these guys and ends up getting them in trouble. They aren't there to get an education anyway, they probably don't go to class. By the time any officials found out the season's over anyway, lol.

The idea they have to go one season or be 19 or whatever is retarded. It should either be at least two seasons, or be right from the NBA.

I definitely think guys should be able to go right to the league.

IMO it benefits both the NBA and the NCAA to have this age limit. Teams are much more protected from drafting a potential bust and these kids have a year to learn under college coaches and get used to the traveling/grind of a longer season.

I agree with BFT, except i have said for 2 years. The whole highschool thing is so dumb, and the whole problem with it (taking raw talent based on upside) still applies even after college... if it didn't Drummond and PJ3 wouldn't be surefire lottery picks this year.

42 highschoolers have been drafted nearly 25% of them went on to become all-stars. Those aren't bad numbers. I honestly think one of the biggest problems is that once these highschoolers get drafted, there is nowhere for them to play since the d-league is practically pick up ball and they aren't physically ready yet to play the pros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees

Honestly look at that list and tell me with a straight face that kids coming out of highschool was a problem... shitty draft picks will be made regardless of where they come from.

• Like 1

• Owner

I agree with BFT, except i have said for 2 years.

This is exactly where I stand, although if they did drop the age limit and restrictions, I wouldn't care.

A successful high school basketball player can look at that and say, "Well, I'm not LeBron James or Dwight Howard, so I don't think I'll get drafted top three...but if I go to college for two years, I can raise my stock and get that #1 pick, and a max rookie contract with it."

Then, you have the kids that know they can't go to college because of money, or grades, and if they have the skill to be a top 30 pick, they get a guaranteed contract.

It's illegal and I can't wait for someone to take the NBA to court soon in order to get rid of this rule.

How is it for the illegal for the NBA to have requirements for working for them. Most jobs in the US require some form of secondary education, why not pro sports?

How is it for the illegal for the NBA to have requirements for working for them. Most jobs in the US require some form of secondary education, why not pro sports?

"New York State Human Rights Law prohibits employers from refusing to hire or employ an "individual eighteen years of age or older… because of such individual's age."

That's only New York, and many other states have the same exact laws. The way their rules are written NOW are discriminatory and illegal. If they want to re-write their rules and phrase them in a different manner, there could be more leeway, but right now they are clearly discriminating.

Now, I know people are going to claim that the NBA isn't discriminating on their "age", but rather that they must be one year removed from high school, but that's complete an utter crap, and just arguing semantics.

Spencer Haywood took the NBA down in court in terms of their "rules", and it would happen yet again if the NBA were taken to court over this issue.

Edited by BeeBeeSee

"New York State Human Rights Law prohibits employers from refusing to hire or employ an "individual eighteen years of age or older… because of such individual's age."

That's only New York, and many other states have the same exact laws. The way their rules are written NOW are discriminatory and illegal. If they want to re-write their rules and phrase them in a different manner, there could be more leeway, but right now they are clearly discriminating.

Now, I know people are going to claim that the NBA isn't discriminating on their "age", but rather that they must be one year removed from high school, but that's complete an utter crap, and just arguing semantics.

Spencer Haywood took the NBA down in court in terms of their "rules", and it would happen yet again if the NBA were taken to court over this issue.

So you think I can get a job with an investment banking firm out of high school? BTW this is just NY state, and you said it yourself, nothing to do with age, 18 year olds are drafted all the time..

Obviously it benefits both the NCAA and NBA, more money for NCAA and less risk for NBA, who it doesn't benefit is someone like DeRozan who's draft stock fell from HS to College...

They should remove the age limit period. At the very least give the players an option to go straight from high school or they have to play somewhere else for two years. But really, they need to just get rid of the age limit.

It is disingenuous for the NBA or NCAA to claim the age limit is in the best interest of the athletes. BS. The only ones that benefit are the NCAA and the universities who profit off these athletes who are only there because they have to, and the NBA because theoretically it limits their risk of drafting a bust (more BS).

The institutions are getting rich off the players' skills, but the players don't. It's a modern-day form of indentured servitude. Let's be honest, these guys are in school to win basketball games, not get a degree. If they can do both, that's the cherry on top. But really, they're just there to generate revenue for the schools and for the head coach to keep his job.

Going to college doesn't guarantee that teams won't draft busts. Acie Law, Sean May, Morris Almond, Joey Graham, Damion James where Srs. that haven't had much success. Actually, is appears HS Seniors coming into the NBA have had more success than college seniors over the past decade it appears. Sean May was one of college basketball's best players and he's no longer in the league...Kwame Brown is considered on of the biggest bust and yet he's still getting big contracts.

Now, the NBA product might improve because some of these guys that are projects may be more ready to play right away. Dorrell Wright might have been able to contribute right away had he gone to college, but that doesn't mean his ceiling would be higher than it is now.

Fact is, at 18 these players are adults. They can enter contracts, vote, join the military, get married, buy a gun, etc. So if these athletes think they are ready or just want to try to make it to the NBA, that's their choice. If they want to risk ruining their future, that's on them. If they think they're ready for the real world, they should be prepared to face real world consequences.

As far as the legality of the age limit, it may be legal because the the players' union agreed to it. But, there are laws that prohibit age-based discrimination which this limit is. The NBA doesn't really have much of a claim that the age limit is a good thing, when for the past decade some of its biggest stars -- Kobe, LeBron, KG, Dwight, T-Mac, Amare -- are guys that came to the league right out of high school.

So you think I can get a job with an investment banking firm out of high school? BTW this is just NY state, and you said it yourself, nothing to do with age, 18 year olds are drafted all the time..

Notsureifsrs......

"One element that has repercussions beyond the league is its age requirement for eligibility, which currently requires a player to be 19 years old and, in the U.S., one year removed from high school."

It's ILLEGAL for them to discriminate based on a person's age in an effort for them to get a job. The NBA can have the players union "agree" to terms, but those terms are worthless in court if those terms violate written LEGAL laws.

And, I messed up in my first post about them not discriminating based upon age, which they CLEARLY are doing.

Edited by BeeBeeSee

So I guess the NFL age rule is illegal too then?

Could be. A lot of times it really just depends on the judge that hears the case. It's not illegal until a judge says it is.

But at least the NFL has more protection if it is placed under legal scrutiny. Just like with the NBA, the age limit was agreed upon by the players' union as part of the CBA. And, the NFL could argue that the rule has less to do about just age, and more about a players' physical maturity to withstand the physical violence of the sport.

On that second part, the NBA really has no argument. Their age limit on the surface just appears to be arbitrary. They can't make a case that HS players can't physically compete when you have guys like LeBron, Howard, Amare, KG, etc. playing major roles their rookie seasons. The NBA can't argue that HS players hurt the game when the NBA's biggest stars are those players that were straight from HS and the NBA marketed them as stars.

The NBA can't say that age limit allows players to further develop their skills/or that successful college players have more of an impact on the product...not when most college basketball's best players over 15 years -- JJ Redick, Tyler Hansbrough, Shane Battier, Juan Dixon, Adam Morrison, TJ Ford, Sean May -- are nothing more than role players or are out of the league. Meanwhile, even high schoolers who are considered disappointments -- Telfair, Brown, Webster, Harrington, Stevenson -- have had probably an equally if not better career than those that stayed 4 years in college.

The NBA just doesn't have as good a case to discriminate against these adults, who are just as qualified, if not more, to play in the NBA.

Notsureifsrs......

It's ILLEGAL for them to discriminate based on a person's age in an effort for them to get a job. The NBA can have the players union "agree" to terms, but those terms are worthless in court if those terms violate written LEGAL laws.

And, I messed up in my first post about them not discriminating based upon age, which they CLEARLY are doing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/Derrick_Favors_cropped.jpg/220px-Derrick_Favors_cropped.jpg

Born July 1991 - Drafted June 2010

you do the math since you are clearly the smartest person on this forum

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/Derrick_Favors_cropped.jpg/220px-Derrick_Favors_cropped.jpg

Born July 1991 - Drafted June 2010

you do the math since you are clearly the smartest person on this forum

They have to be 19 during the calendar year of their draft. How about you actually learn the rules of eligibility and look it up yourself instead of giving incorrect and misinformed comments and pictures as usual?

They have to be 19 during the calendar year of their draft. How about you actually learn the rules of eligibility and look it up yourself instead of giving incorrect and misinformed comments and pictures as usual?

So in other words, you can be 18?

My pictures and comments have had all correct information too pal.

Especially the blurb about how smart you are.

Edited by fish7718

So in other words, you can be 18?

My pictures and comments have had all correct information too pal.

Especially the blurb about how smart you are.

Ask David Stern. These are direct quotes from him.

And, yes, I do get what you're asking, and I'm not 100% sure, but I just go by what the rules state, and what the commissioner says.....

Are you saying the commissioner is incorrect?

"That's not our rule," he said. "Our rule is that they won't be eligible for the draft until they're 19. They can play in Europe, they can play in the D-League, they can go to college. This is a not a social program, this is a business rule for us. The NFL has a rule which requires three years of college. So the focus is often on ours, but it's really not what we require in college. It's that we say we would like a year to look at them and I think it's been interesting to see how the players do against first-class competition in the NCAAs and then teams have the ability to judge and make judgments, because high-ranking draft picks are very, very valuable."
Edited by BeeBeeSee