Celtics Were Close To Trading Ray Allen To Grizzlies For Mayo

The Regime

The Celtics had a deal with the Grizzlies at the deadline that would have centered around Ray Allen for O.J. Mayo and a draft pick.

Doc Rivers went so far as to tell Allen that he had been traded, but called again 20 minutes later to say the deal had fallen apart.

League sources say Danny Ainge was also working on a Paul Pierce to New Jersey trade for Mehmet Okur and a lottery pick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--celtics--big-three-nearly-split-at-trade-deadline.html;_ylt=AkWX6DZQyX9_DcNLtSVq3Gu8vLYF

Doc confirmed this after the game tonight, except he didnt call Ray. Anyways as much as i love ray ray..one of my fav players all time with out a doubt. this wouldve been a great trade for the celts, love OJ Mayo and gettin younger never hurts especially when we are just on the verge of rebuilding this offseason. this is a clear sign that this Could be Rays final bow when the season is all said and done :( hopefully the celts go after Mayo in the offseason as hes going to be a FA

Edited by rackCity

How does Mayo feel now that he's almost been traded two years in a row.

I guess getting dealt for Ray Allen is a step up from Josh McRoberts. So at least his value is increasing.

Yeah true, I'm sure he can't be happy. It must be a distraction.

I think the Celts probably should've done it. Under Doc, Mayo may have turned into a superstar, especially playing another year or two with Pierce and Garnett.

A part of me says the big three might be better off all going out together. They seem so close, that if you remove one, they may really struggle.