Dwight Howard to Have Back Surgery, Out for Season

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard will undergo back surgery on Friday morning in Los Angeles to repair a herniated disk, effectively ending his season and eliminating him from participation in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Howard's agent said on Thursday night.

"It hurts (emotionally)," Howard told ESPN the Magazine's Chris Broussard. "That's the first thing -- it hurts. And then with people saying and thinking I'm quitting on my team. This is a real issue. I tried to play through it and it just made my back worse."

Howard has been complaining of back problems since early March, but it wasn't until Los Angeles-based spine surgeon Dr. Robert Watkins examined him last week that the herniated disk was discovered.

Howard received an epidural to alleviate the pain at that time, and the plan was that he'd rest and rehabilitate his back for 10-14 days before deciding if he could return to play or if further treatment might be necessary. But his back has worsened and both Watkins and the Magic's medical staff determined surgery is necessary.

Howard told Broussard he is not worried about any long-term ramifications from the surgery.

"The doctor said it's a one-inch incision," Howard told Broussard. "He said I can start rehab right away and be back to full contact in four months. So I'm not really concerned. If anything, I'll come back stronger."

Dan Fegan, Howard's agent, said he hopes this development debunks any thoughts that Howard's back problem was not serious and that he was utilizing it as an excuse not to play.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7834605/agent-says-orlando-magic-dwight-howard-needs-back-surgery-done-rest-season

He's a total chump.

My ass he was having back problems since early March. He's not putting up 30 point games with a "bad back".

If he sits out the rest of the season and playoffs, and then plays in the Olympics, I think it would be fair to say he'd become the biggest bitch in NBA history, if he's not already the holder of that title.

Complete loser.

• Owner

He's a total chump.

My ass he was having back problems since early March. He's not putting up 30 point games with a "bad back".

If he sits out the rest of the season and playoffs, and then plays in the Olympics, I think it would be fair to say he'd become the biggest bitch in NBA history, if he's not already the holder of that title.

Complete loser.

When they say he was having back problems, they were talking about his back spasms.

I'm pretty sure the herniated disc is a separate issue, no matter how they try to connect the two.

Also, he had the surgery in LA, and has been told he's on the shelf for six months. I doubt he'll be playing for Team USA in the Olympics.

When they say he was having back problems, they were talking about his back spasms.

I'm pretty sure the herniated disc is a separate issue, no matter how they try to connect the two.

Also, he had the surgery in LA, and has been told he's on the shelf for six months. I doubt he'll be playing for Team USA in the Olympics.

He better not play. I can't stand this guy. He's ten times worse than LeBron was made out to be because of "The Decision".

• Owner

He better not play. I can't stand this guy. He's ten times worse than LeBron was made out to be because of "The Decision".

Doubt he will, but if he's healthy in time, it shouldn't matter how you feel about the way he's acting.

I hate LeBron James, but he better play for the Olympic team, because he's better than having someone like Danny Granger take his place. I'd rather see Dwight Howard over JaVale McGee.

Bynum is going to go over to Germany to fix his knee (what Kobe did last summer), so he won't be replacing Dwight. Tyson Chandler could be the only legitimate defensive anchor.